HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:42 AM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
Discussion
scaled down Stylus

I've allways wanted to build the stylus since I started flying back in 88, well I finally did it. I scaled it to 32 inches instead of the original 40 inches. I built one as a glider like it should be and then built another as a powered glider with a stretched wing. maiden on the glider was last weekend, flew great and should be a real thermal sniffer. haven't maidened the other yet.

it was funny, when I scaled it down I didn't think about whether the servos would fit the fuse, lol, it was close but a couple of 5 grammers did it but had to do the hookups the old fashioned way with bends at the ends of the pushrods instead of my usuall easy connectors. I widened the fuse on the electric one for better servo fit and power pack fit. added one bay each side to the center section and stretched the tips 2 inches for 42 inches total. can't wait to maiden it, too cold and snowy here right now.

Jason
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:54 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Very nice!

Looks like a mini Oly 650. I like the clear covering as well. Are plans available anywhere?
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:33 PM
Duh
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
I did find the rcm plans online so you can get the original size from them. it's not much bigger at 40 inches, mine like I said is 32. my original plans were lost in the fire a year ago but I found the construction article with the sample plans and scanned that into my computer then poster printed it to the size I wanted.

the clear covering is doculam, at six tenths of an ounce per square yard it's pretty lite and goes on like moncote. shrinks well too. fuse has white econocote on both models.

I don't think it would be a good idea to provide plans myself, I don't know if scaling it down would be enough change to say it's a different model, allthough the motor version has lots more changes but still the same general layout so may still be protected under copyright law. you may see if the plans service can print it out at the size you want if you want a smaller version. here is their web site. http://www.rcmplans.com/

thanks for the comment.
jason
Old May 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Jason, I built the 40 inch Stylus and used a Cox .09 to haul it up. Mine came out over 13 oz and I couldn't heave it up very high, so I needed the Cox. A very enjoyable model to fly. What issue of the RCM 1988 was it in...I lost/misplaced mine years ago.
Thanks, John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 15, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,675 Posts
I've built a few of those, what a fun model. I found that just runningthe rudder to the top of the fin made for a much smoother launch on my 2m high start. I also used to slope the living day light's out of it too.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,642 Posts
It reminds me a little of the 30 inch wingspan Woodchuck. Haven't built it yet, but it's a cute little things too.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old May 16, 2011, 12:34 AM
Duh
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
I'm loving the powered version, on 3 cells it goes up like a home sick angel. indicates thermals well and hangs in out with the buzzards just great. I really need to put some color on the wing though, it gets a little hard to see with that clear wing.
John, when I find it again I'll let you know. lol, put it up after building both of these and don't see it anywhere off hand. it's here though.
Jason
Old May 16, 2011, 08:55 AM
Columbia,PA
Joined Feb 2002
220 Posts
Dec '88 Plan #1033

Charlie
cpc625 is offline Find More Posts by cpc625
Old May 16, 2011, 05:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Thanks Jason, thanks Charlie. Now all I have to do is find the box with that issue. I moved about -93 and still haven't unpacked all my old magazines.
John
Old May 30, 2011, 07:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Thanks again Charlie.
Here's my old original (fuse) with the Cox .09. Had to shorten the nose to balance.
The second is slightly smaller.
The wings are hanging and I'm not ready to use them for awhile.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:29 PM
Duh
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
I know how that is, luckily a lot of mine were still packed in boxes and so they survived the fire we had last year. good looking planes btw.

Jason
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:01 PM
Duh
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
still flying the crap out of the electric version. have to build a couple more for friends. any one else still flying theirs?

Jason