HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:10 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,153 Posts
Ali spinners also work as very good heatsinks. Ive had a few planes that come down with warm spinners .

Cutting shafts isnt hard. 2 seconds with a dremel or 30 seconds with a file. Its worth it
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:50 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Ali spinners also work as very good heatsinks. Ive had a few planes that come down with warm spinners .

Cutting shafts isnt hard. 2 seconds with a dremel or 30 seconds with a file. Its worth it
I change out my inrunner motors frequently for different apps. I NEED THE LONG SHAFT.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:43 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,124 Posts
Hmm there's another rifle at a lhs.. Do I get it and do the mods or save for the $269 airframe and $115 motor that I want?? I say get both but the rifle will delay my super pylon project by a week. All I see is that I could be flying this weekend...what's a guy to do?
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:58 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Saw this on my LHS shelf and was tempted...

Next day saw one fly and was blown away! Wow!!!

Bought one today and started the build, got to step 10 page 6 and one of the countersink screws twisted off about halfway in. With very little force too. Crap.

Cheap screws?

Now, I can't get the broken half out and where am I going to find a small 2mmx8mm counter-sink screw (that is of a higher quality than the one provided) to replace it?

That's my build so far...
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Last edited by johnm15141; Jun 01, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: add photo
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:08 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,584 Posts
Ouch! Nada good! Sorry to hear that John. I think I may be able to source a screw for you over here at a LHS (Local Hardware Store that is! ) I'll let you know if they have them tomorrow. Now, how to extract the broken one ...
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:14 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,153 Posts
MikeRx, go for the $269 machine, once youve flown it you'll forget about the rifle

Im waiting for Electrifly too bring out the V2 with better QC standards, Ive more than done my thing with poorly built ARF's and cant be assed. Id rather spend the extra $100 and get a proper speed400 pylon plane.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:20 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Measure your HET shaft. Heh heh heh. Let me know how long it is, heh heh.

lol. the het shaft measured about 12mm, and the mega looked 10.5 ish mm.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:26 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Hmm there's another rifle at a lhs.. Do I get it and do the mods or save for the $269 airframe and $115 motor that I want?? I say get both but the rifle will delay my super pylon project by a week. All I see is that I could be flying this weekend...what's a guy to do?
What's the $269 machine? Sunracer II?

Here is my Rifle after the wing snapped.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:33 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
now that I've attempted to build one, better quality hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Gentlemen,

I wanted to let you all know that I am reading your posts and forwarding pertinent information up the line. I have also forwarded links to many of your posts directly to those concerned. Finally, I went back and re read all of the posts to compile a list of accounts of failures. Where possible, I also noted a possible reason for the failure from additional data that was provided by the person who posted. It was a tedious task, but to the best of my ability here is the list:

(1 model) Lost control/crash; (reason undetermined, pilot was using a 4S battery)
(3 models) Loose/detached firewalls; (one model had been previously crashed, no additional data was provided for the other two accounts)
(2 models) Folded wings; (first instance reports stock motor and recommended prop, but no additional or follow-information was provided, the second was using a slightly larger motor and battery).
(1 model) Mounting block for elevator servo mount came loose
(1 model) Wing mounting tab broke; (not certain of components used)
(0) Complaints/claims made to Great Planes Product Support

We read the accounts of defects/failures posted in this thread, but until the Company is contacted directly and all pertinent information has been gathered (including, likely the remains of the plane), it is difficult to determine for certain the cause of failure and any reinforcement/modification that may be necessary—not that your claims are not valid or real.

This isn’t to say all the failures are to be blamed on larger motors or batteries, but please also bear in mind the following. It is from page 6 in the instruction manual under “PRECAUTIONS”:

6. While this kit has been flight tested to exceed normal use, if the plane will be used for extremely high stress flying, such as racing, or if a motor larger than recommended is used, the modeler is responsible for taking steps to reinforce the high stress points and/or substituting hardware more suitable for the increased stress.

I do not want to appear as though we are dismissing the accounts posted in this thread. We are investigating the possibility of reinforcing the airframe if necessary, but until we hear about failures through the proper channels and have the opportunity to examine the remains we cannot draw conclusions about the precise cause of the failure. If you truly feel your model failed by no cause of your own, by all means please feel free to contact Product Support.

Sincerely,

Tim
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:21 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing.

It's too bad that they no longer make the Escape.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:00 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

Been trying to get my hands on an Escape for the past year. When they come up for sale, they are used and selling for more than a new one. Supposedly the builder of the Escape has a new model in the works. We shall see.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:02 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

Yes, the sunracer. After studying all the available designs, I think this one Is the best blend of craftmanship, price, and size.. Not to mention it will take 180 mph+ systems. I have concerns with balancing using the light motor I was hoping to get (neu 1105). I would rather use a bigger motor before adding lead as some pilots have had to do. I'm still researching but the goal is light 3s system in the 130mph range expandable to light 4s and 150mph+
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:20 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141 View Post
Saw this on my LHS shelf and was tempted...

Next day saw one fly and was blown away! Wow!!!

Bought one today and started the build, got to step 10 page 6 and one of the countersink screws twisted off about halfway in. With very little force too. Crap.

Cheap screws?

Now, I can't get the broken half out and where am I going to find a small 2mmx8mm counter-sink screw (that is of a higher quality than the one provided) to replace it?

That's my build so far...

John sorry to see that screw break off. I deal with the oversea manufactures each day and you did nothing wrong. The holes for the horizontal stabilizer are quite a bit smaller than the screw. The Screws used are freaking the worse material. Soft poor excuse for hardware. I got my screws just about all the way in and the tops rounded off. Too much pressure=broken screws or rounding off a screw head. Your only choice is to use better counter sunk screws. Go to your LHS and go to the RC Car section and match up some similar screws. Good luck and keep on building!

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:20 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:

Here is my Rifle after the wing snapped.
Ouch! Sorry to see that Johnny!
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:12 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,124 Posts
I may get the pogo this weekend or a rifle built up to MEGA motor standards.. may be able to construct one good ammo out of the 2 smashed ones that I have.. and I already have 100 mph gear for a pogo if I go that route
I turn 40 soon so I will let the good stuff come as a gift
ATTACH]Name: Pylon 2-19-060007.jpg
Views: 168
Size: 60.6 KB
Description: [/ATTACH]
RCG Plus Member