New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2015, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by luv2flyez
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
DLG today

Hi Bob,

Any scores yet? I don't think I'm on the distribution list yet so if you posted somewhere else I did not get it.

Thanks for CDing the contest today, it was great!

John
luv2flyez is online now Find More Posts by luv2flyez
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,523 Posts
John
It took me some time to read all the chicken scratchings

We flew 8 rounds with one throwout. We had some new pilots (to us). Chris Adams from Cheyenne (Thermaln2) and Todd Magee joined us for a great day of flying. They both look like they will be VERY competitive. We had great but challenging conditions with some guys getting a 4 minute flight and then backing that up with a 0:54 flight. I think everyone had fun even though there were a few broken planes. Sorry Ira and Jim Degroot. Ira lost a wing servo on his Snipe. Jim had a rudder servo fail on launch. Ouch! By the way, does anyone have a repairable SuperFr3aK fuse. Jim D may need one.

Harold Bailey brought his new "HAROLD" low wing DLG and maidened it at the contest. It is high aspect ratio and very light. Would you believe 213 grams? You should see it float in light air. Great Job Harold

Here are the totals: If you want the individual round scores let me know. Congrats to Bowdee Ormsbee flying a Vortex 2 for pulling out a great performance. His only non-1000 round was a 977. Great Job. AD came in second with a 98.73% of Bowdie's score. I was third which is the first time in years I've made the top three.

Bob Pederson CD
Soarhead00 is online now Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Last edited by Soarhead00; May 20, 2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: corrected Chris Adams screen name. Sorry.
Old May 17, 2015, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by magee8578
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Jul 2007
310 Posts
I had a great time flying with you guys today. I hope this will be the first of many.

Todd
magee8578 is online now Find More Posts by magee8578
Old May 17, 2015, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by luv2flyez
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
Awesome contest, great job Mr. CD with the contest and top 3! Thanks for the scores!
luv2flyez is online now Find More Posts by luv2flyez
Old May 17, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
United States, CO, Perry Park
Joined Apr 2006
323 Posts
Great flying by everyone and a great contest! Bob does a great job! Low key, flexible, whine-resistant and he gives time to the new folks if they need it. You can't ask for better than this and I REALLY enjoy flying with this group; every dang time!

Todd took home my Validol and judging by the way he flew his troubled LightHawk today.....we better get ready. Luckily, he has a wonderful young family to keep him busy or he could go big in F3K.

It was great meeting Chris and John. John Hsu happens to work at Southwest Airlines where Todd and I do and I saw him at the airport before my last trip and then he shows up at the field. Talk about coincidence, we had no idea. Southwest is starting to gain traction in RMSA! We'll bring some peanuts from the airplane next time.

Snipes can take more punishment than I expected. I lost my left flaperon on approach in round 1 due to a faulty connection and smacked it in. The fuse cracked but all is fixed and ready to go! Using carbon tow and thin CA, it didn't even register any weight gain. We did smack some models today. That gets me every time even if its not mine!

I flew my back up HAR home brew the rest of the day and, Man, that is a great model!

Congrats to Bowdie, AD and Bob on top three! Very consistent flying. Boys got skeels.

Speaking of skeels; Harold is building so well and so clean that it is easy to lose track of the fact that he does everything from scratch. Really amazing when you watch how these models perform.

On to F3J in the Rockies next weekend! Some of the J rock stars in the country are coming in addition to our formidable RMSA J monsters. I'm going to bring a DLG and if it gets too bad or embarrassing, I'll just go over to the other side of the field and play by myself.

You guys rock!
Reid
ReidRoberts is online now Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
Last edited by ReidRoberts; May 17, 2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 18, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by HB DLG
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Bob, thanx again for being the CD, it turned out to be way better than I ever expected.
I fixed the voltage regulator, and cant wait to fly the new ship.
I thinks its funny, the only 1000 I posted all day, was the round I flew with it !
Coincidence ? I think not .
let me get past the wedding in 3 weeks and I will make you up a pair of tail feathers like we talked about.
thanx again.
HB

HB
HB DLG is offline Find More Posts by HB DLG
Old May 18, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,740 Posts
To All,

Thanks for the great time DLG flying at the RMSS field. I hope to make it down a lot more. Two hours down, then all that fun flying, and then 2 hours back, exhausting!

Thanks for Jim and Bowdee for timing for me. I managed to improved my general percentage scores, but still have that lock on the top last places. Look out!

Thanks to Bob for the communications and directions.

Thermals,
Chris
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old May 19, 2015, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00 View Post
Harold Bailey brought his new "HAROLD" low wing DLG and maidened it at the contest. It is high aspect ratio and very light. Would you believe 213 grams? You should see it float in light air. Great Job Harold

Bob Pederson CD
Here's a proud picture of the Papa of the Harold.

Chris
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old May 19, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by espe
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
554 Posts
Harold - How does it fly? What do you like? Any curiosities?
espe is offline Find More Posts by espe
Old May 19, 2015, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by hubman56
Thermal Aviator
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2012
42 Posts
Nice Harold! Look forward to talking to you about the design and fabrication techniques you used.
Mike O.
hubman56 is offline Find More Posts by hubman56
Old May 20, 2015, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by HB DLG
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Chris, thanx for posting the photo of my new ship ! Looks even better in a picture !
and even though I only got to fly it in the first round. ( my only 1000 of the day ) it flew great, I sort of expected some bad habits, but it was very well behaved, it launched like it was on rails. at least to me ! I am still finishing it up , hinge gap tape and such, but cant wait to fly it again.
Mike , you missed the discussion on how it came to be at the last RMSA meeting , but I would be happy to talk about how I build em !
thanx all, HB
HB DLG is offline Find More Posts by HB DLG
Old Today, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
United States, CO, Perry Park
Joined Apr 2006
323 Posts
All quiet on the front range.......too quiet.......

Anyhow, what's it looking like for the scheduled June 6th contest?

I'm forever working my schedule to free up these contest days but gauge my efforts depending on interest and numbers, i.e. I don't want to bust my butt if it ain't gonna happen.

AD and I brought our DLGs to F3J in the Rockies last weekend and had a short AULD session on Sunday to keep it real. AD was CD and did a great job. Jim DeGroot flew his old school Pike really well also. It was a fun contest. Challenging!

Jon Padilla and Skyler Raver threw my home brew in the wind so the model now knows what real throws should be. Toby was there and I was going to have him throw it but was afraid I'd never see it again.

Reid
ReidRoberts is online now Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
Old Today, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts View Post
All quiet on the front range.......too quiet.......
Anyhow, what's it looking like for the scheduled June 6th contest?
Reid,, Sam Pendleton is CD so I'll give him a shout-out to see what he wants to do.

Jon Padilla and Skyler Raver threw my home brew in the wind so the model now knows what real throws should be. Toby was there and I was going to have him throw it but was afraid I'd never see it again.
That was a good call. I had Gary Jensen throw my XXLite once and it went straight out like a RPG until it slowed enough to let the spring pull elevator take charge. Scary.

Reid
Bob
Soarhead00 is online now Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old Today, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by espe
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
554 Posts
Bob, Reid, and everybody else...

Yes, I'm planning on the June 6 Contest. Details in a couple of days.

Bob - got a couple of questions for you before I light it up.

Sam
espe is offline Find More Posts by espe