SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:21 PM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Build Log
Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee 48" Build

This is my build thread for my Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee with a 48" wingspan. It will be electric powered. Welcome!

DISCLAIMER- I am a first time plans / kit builder. If you would like to offer advice, please do so, I welcome that!

About me: I've been away from the RC Hobby for quite a few years while I built my career as a (full scale) pilot. Last year, I was reintroduced to RC by a friend that I work with who happens to live in Champaign, Illinois. There's a "little" hobby company there called Horizon Hobby whom he had been hanging around with. So naturally he told me about all the fun he was having and talked me into getting a few Parkzone and E-Flite foamies, and I've been having a great time! However, they didn't satisfy my need to build and tinker with things. I wanted to build a kit. But what?

As a kid, I remember seeing ads for a goofy little cabin class airplane that kinda sorta reminded me of the Aeronca C3. It was a cute as a button little plane that looked like it was from the golden era of flying. What was that thing called??? Lazy something or other... Oh yeah! Lazy Bee!!

About the Lazy Bee: There's a great thread here on RC groups with free PDFs of plans for this designs since Clancy Aviation is long out of business unfortunately.

Plans Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916960

Its a 3 channel, high wing of fairly simple and light design. It has a ton of wing area, since the wing chord is almost the full length of the fuselage. There is an aileron wing available, but it is reported to fly worse than the 3ch model, and roll slower. This is not a conventional design, and from what everyone says, the 3ch version is ideal. So, that's what I'm building!

Since Clancy Aviation is long gone, your only choice if you want a Bee is to build one from plans. Thankfully, a company called Lazor Works makes a "short kit" with laser cut parts. I decided that, for $55, it would be nearly the same price to just buy this kit by the time I bought enough balsa to hack out the parts myself. So, I did! You will still need a lot of random balsa sticks, but the complex parts are included in the lazorworks kit. This will certainly help a first timer like me while I learn the ropes. I think my next build will be a fully scratch built, but this is my learning experience build!

Still with me? Awesome! Thanks for reading my dribble. I'm excited! More in the next post...
TravFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TravFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:26 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
So I received my short kit from LAZORWORKS and balsa from NATIONAL BALSA. Both companies seem first rate and shipped quick with high quality woods.

I spent an hour marveling the laser cut parts.. Wow, this is sure nicer than the die cut free flight models of my youth!

Anyhow... I'm finally a builder! Last night I made my first Bee part. I decided to start with the part which intimidated me the most, the wingtip laminations. Actually, delete that plural. Wingtip laminatioN. I built the first one, and if it turns out okay when it's dry, I'll build the other one. Cross your fingers it turns out nice!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
So today, I decided to work on the fuselage while my wingtip laminations cured.

Today I some made good progress and finished the right side of the fuselage (firewall back). I'm definitely not a pro, judging by the pile of 1/8 balsa sticks I ruined by cutting too short or breaking them. Oh well, I'm sure some scrap wood will come in handy during this build or future builds! I'm having a great time!

Anyhow, I guess I used too much CA, as the plane was stuck solid to the wax paper! Some of the glue even traveled through a T-pin hole and stuck to my plans. Rookie mistakes

Oh well! I have airplane parts! Check out my fuse side, and (untrimmed) wingtip laminations!

Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:49 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,939 Posts
Most people like the 40" wing the best. Build both. The 48"wing is sedate and will eventually bore you. I haven't used mine in about 15 years. I don't know how many times I repaired the 40" wing. It first flew in December 1997 and is still going with more than 1050 flights. I have often wondered about a 44" wing.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:30 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
Most people like the 40" wing the best. Build both. The 48"wing is sedate and will eventually bore you. I haven't used mine in about 15 years. I don't know how many times I repaired the 40" wing. It first flew in December 1997 and is still going with more than 1050 flights. I have often wondered about a 44" wing.
I thought about that. Maybe I will build both wings, since it would be so easy to swap back and forth. However, I'm looking for a floaty slow flyer... That's why I'm building a bee! I have other planes for going fast and aerobatics. I really enjoy just floating around and practicing landings and short take offs. Hopefully the 48" bee will support that mission.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 04:34 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,965 Posts
Don't give up on that 48in wing. Mine was built for NiCd batteries and a geared brushed motor so the extra span was recommended to carry the weight. This it did well and even then was a pretty agile model, by the electric standards of the day.

Now, having been upgraded to LiPos and a small brushless outrunner, it will turn on a sixpence, rolls easily, and will hold inverted flight. Yes, it will do 'sedate' and is great for touch and go's but there's plenty of Hyde to go with the Jekyll if the mood takes you.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
Don't give up on that 48in wing. Mine was built for NiCd batteries and a geared brushed motor so the extra span was recommended to carry the weight. This it did well and even then was a pretty agile model, by the electric standards of the day.

Now, having been upgraded to LiPos and a small brushless outrunner, it will turn on a sixpence, rolls easily, and will hold inverted flight. Yes, it will do 'sedate' and is great for touch and go's but there's plenty of Hyde to go with the Jekyll if the mood takes you.
Your bee is quite the inspiration for mine! The 48" will be my primary wing. If I decide to build a 40, it will be in addition to the 48".
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:51 AM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Looking forward to watching your build. When in doubt .... ask. Do yourself a favor and trace the outlines of the parts onto thin cardboard. The kind becomes in or cereal boxes. Then down the road you can easily make your own kit using the templates.
I have plans for floats for a Bee. I let my Bee go then got the float with a bucket of plans at an estate sale. If you are interested, let me know and we can work something out.
Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2010
106 Posts
How close are the plans to the parts? Did the span stretch at all?

Phil

p.s. Who do you fly for?
phil p is offline Find More Posts by phil p
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Dave View Post
Looking forward to watching your build. When in doubt .... ask. Do yourself a favor and trace the outlines of the parts onto thin cardboard. The kind becomes in or cereal boxes. Then down the road you can easily make your own kit using the templates.
I have plans for floats for a Bee. I let my Bee go then got the float with a bucket of plans at an estate sale. If you are interested, let me know and we can work something out.
Dave
Great idea! I have a feeling more bees will bee in my future! As for floats, I have plans for those too. However, I don't have any open water close by to fly off. Also, never did get that seaplane rating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil p View Post
How close are the plans to the parts? Did the span stretch at all?

Phil

p.s. Who do you fly for?
The plans and parts are almost always an exact match. I've had to do a tiny bit of light sanding, but it's pretty astounding how accurate they are. I think you are referring the wingspan stretching? The wingspan is set by cutting the spruce spars (not part of the short kit) to length, so that could be any length the builder desires. I'll make mine to match my plans. The wing ribs etc match the plans exactly.

I fly for the airline formerly known as American Eagle, now "Envoy." CRJ-700. But, airline flying is just work. My real passion is taildraggers and sport aviation.
Last edited by TravFlyer; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:17 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,444 Posts
Trav, Bring your Bee to the NEAT Fair next fall and we will get you checked out on floats right quick. Taildragging is fun and more fun yet in the water.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Oct 30, 2014, 03:03 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
Trav, Bring your Bee to the NEAT Fair next fall and we will get you checked out on floats right quick. Taildragging is fun and more fun yet in the water.

Thayer
Just googled the NEAT fair... That looks like a cool event! And not too far from home. I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully my Bee is done by then

Is NEAT held at a full scale field? Maybe I could fly in, with the Bee onboard!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 07:25 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,939 Posts
The floats will work well on snow or wet grass.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:20 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,444 Posts
NEAT is held on a private airport. Contact Arnie at Peaceful Valley for landing permission. There have been full scale ops at NEAT in the past, though always his friends.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 01, 2014, 09:58 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,723 Posts
TravFlyer,

Best luck on your Bee build. In a way it honors a late friend named Dereck Woodward who was a major fan of the Clancy series and influential in using electric power for them. There used to be a bunch of folk, some of them weighed in here, who exchanged Bee stories. Maybe it will start up again.

I've got one left hanging on the ceiling.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW