Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:13 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Discussion
Markus controllers

Markus controllers:

Thought this could be a thread for info on these.

I have an SL300, however I can't program it.

I've installed the driver, run the program, and connected the usb cable. Its hard to work out which com port and the appropriate baud rate, but using port 5 and 19200 I get a green connection light at the bottom.

However the baud rate flashes between 19200 and 4800 and the message "waiting for esc" remains.

any thoughts? I'm keen to give this controller a go.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:34 AM
Italy,Russia,Kazakhstan...
Joined Aug 2007
588 Posts
Can you specify please, is this OLD SL300?
with ONE cable only for programming and signal?

If not, if this is new SL's with two cables (short for programming and long for signal)?

Or if this is latest MX? (which looks absolutely the same like new SL, but have only ONE processor on board)
All this controllers use the different software for programming.
Golikov is offline Find More Posts by Golikov
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:32 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2006
107 Posts
are there more informations (website) about the Marcus controllers? Where to buy?

Regards Fritz
shaba is offline Find More Posts by shaba
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:25 AM
Joined Aug 2007
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba View Post
are there more informations (website) about the Marcus controllers? Where to buy?

Regards Fritz
http://www.markus-rc.com/
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:41 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golikov View Post
Can you specify please, is this OLD SL300?
with ONE cable only for programming and signal?

If not, if this is new SL's with two cables (short for programming and long for signal)?

Or if this is latest MX? (which looks absolutely the same like new SL, but have only ONE processor on board)
All this controllers use the different software for programming.
Not sure about the processor, think it is the SL300 with the short progamming lead.

The drivers are installed, I connect the usb cable, connect the flight battery, sometimes the esc has the red light but no communication to the computer.

Using Com port 5 and 19000 baud rate
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:53 AM
Joined Aug 2007
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch View Post
Not sure about the processor, think it is the SL300 with the short progamming lead.

The drivers are installed, I connect the usb cable, connect the flight battery, sometimes the esc has the red light but no communication to the computer.

Using Com port 5 and 19000 baud rate
I have never use manual COM setings.
Please try to connect with default settings. And connect the USB cable to comp first and after connect the controller cable.
About the battery, with the short cable, battery is not nesessary.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2007
588 Posts
This is SL300 latest. TWO processors.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
Aalst, Belgium
Joined May 2009
14 Posts
Quote:

I have SL 200. I have the same problem. Sometimes OK, sometimes no comunication.

Mystery!

Golikov

"About the battery, with the short cable, battery is not nesessary."

Exactly!
wojtek-a is offline Find More Posts by wojtek-a
Old May 22, 2010, 02:58 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
So for whatever reason I cannot make the computer to esc connection. So now I try to program it manually. It works ok except very soft brake. According to the 2007 version of the manual (latest available), option B and 4 beeps is hard brake and is also the default.

Does anyone know if that's still the case?

Other than this it seems to be working ok on a Neu motor (total of 8 seconds run time).
Old May 22, 2010, 03:00 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Also when I connect the power batter (4S) but before turning on the Rx the controller makes a beep every 2 seconds or so. Is this normal? I assume it is just a warning that there is no valid Rx signal but the battery is connected.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:03 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Finally the 2007 manual suggests this controller has a BEC, but it does not act like it does.

If I connect the power battery and turn on the TX it should power the receiver and I should be able to move the elevator, but unless I turn on the separate receiver battery nothing happens. Its so long since I've used a controller with an inbuilt bec I forget how they are supposed to work.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:11 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
So I flew an Avionik with the Markus controller in it today. Power produced was about the same, maybe a touch more, than the same motor with the Schulze controller. Considering it was a colder day here in Sydney I was happy with the power.

However results were fairly useless because of the soft brake. They system gave about 20 seconds of motor run in total.

Back home I had another go at using the Tx to program the controller using the out of date instructions. As I suspected there is a 5th option on the brake selection and the brake now stops hard. Its a risky business using the Tx to program the controller because you have to turn the motor on and off with the power battery connected.

At one point the motor did start, fortunately causing only very minor damage.

I've no idea how to setup one of these slow ramps this way that is with the Tx and would welcome any suggestions.

Here's a Unilog extract showing the latest hyperion 4S 4200 battery in the air using the Markus controller.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2007
588 Posts
Quote:
........................... Its a risky business using the Tx to program the controller because you have to turn the motor on and off with the power battery connected.
If you program the controller by Tx, better to take out the prop and use 2S800 battery with clips to connect.
100% safe.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,189 Posts
Good tip! I will remember that one.

Regarding Markus controllers, i still feel that a Phoenix P180 is so much more fet for your money or rather so much less money for the same amount of fets as the 6 plated Markus.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old May 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Joe

I thought you were not a fan of the 180. I am happy to try something different if someone like the russians use it. Are you aware of any Markus controllers catching fire?

Trust you are back to flying again.

cheers
Dave