Closed Thread
Old Jan 01, 2004, 11:32 AM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Weekday Impromptu Flying 2004

Happy New Year and Good luck!

This will be the new weekday flying thread.

Jason
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2004, 11:41 AM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Here are the Mercer field driving directions. I'll also post a sticky like Mike D did for Hamilton Mill.

Go I-85 North bound.
Take the Chamblee Tucker Rd (Mercer University) Exit.
Turn right off the exit ramp, heading East, and towards the university.
Stay on the far right lane.
Lanes will quickly split from 3 to 5 lanes.
Keep moving to the far right lane.
The lane will put you on Flowers Rd.
Flowers Rd. will make a few sharp turns.
Stay on Flowers Rd. for approximately 1-1.5 miles from the highway exit.
The entrance to the athletic field will appear to your left side.
Find parking, then fly.
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Jan 01, 2004, 08:37 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Woohoo!
For those that saw my poor estarter limp around a lap or two yesterday, it has been redeemed. I put the brushless in it and flew 4 packs of 2S today and had a blast! Very light, well for an e-starter, and plenty of aerobatic ability.
This is what that airframe should fly like stock.
Can't even guess what 3S wil be like. (battery bay mods required)
almost an hour in the air too by the way.

Did crack up the Formosa on a dead stick unexpected LVC ...
I have the epoxy warming now..

Tony
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Jan 02, 2004, 12:31 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
hey tony, i know all about lvc now... somewhat interesting coinkidink.

i flew a little on wednesday at mercer. i hadn't flown the cub in a while, so i apparently decided to leave the rubber bands at home, disabling any chance of flying the cub. so that meant, was that i was down only to my formosa with just one battery pack. nicely done... a good start.

i'd say it was 3-5mph winds, fairly constant and in the wrong direction. it was either crosswinds, or blowing from the parking lot, down the runway. this would normally be okay, but the sun was right there, blinding me and my futile landing attempts.

the mercer field is more deserted than ever. i fly the formosa, although i had planned on warming up on the cub. okay, no biggie, just push the left stick all the way forward, pull the right stick all the way back. easy enough. and away she went. i recently put my hitec-555 receiver onboard the formosa to free up the berg-4. did my usual "flying-range check", kehe, and did some partial throttle laps and inverted stuff that i usually do. now the dreaded, wrong-wind-direction landing. seriously, i don't know what the problem was with me, but i must have made at least 10 landing approaches, and did not like any of them. but, on the next approach, i did like some of the lines my formosa was aligning with, so i throttled down and stuck it in.

after removing the soil from my pants, i wondered what just happened here. i mean, the wind is there, but this is still pico cub flying weather. just what seems to be the problem here. must be the rust... yep.

and so, the second flight goes a lot more inline with what i was expecting that day. ah, but the third hop on the same thunder power pack had a little surprise for me. after i gunned the throttle for takeoff on the third and last flight on my only tp pack, she was airborne, after an unusually long take off roll out, she decides to take a dump by hitting low-voltage-cutoff. oh just great... i rudder hard left to miss the metal "no parking" sign, and then my mind goes into a blank. in what felt like an infinity, i weighed ridiculously dangerous maneuvers which might save the airplane, or bite the bullet and dive into the runway, and hope she misses the curb. it was pretty clear to me; no damage option versus the damage control option. either way, the power was not going to come back on by itself, unless i throttle back and partial power it back on. oh, so i pull the left stick back to reset, and push it 2/3 or 3/4 throttle. pop, there she goes again on the lvc. dammit, give me a break! still having not completely cleared the asphalt runway, i forego messing with the throttle again, and decided to do this sloppy, and generally over-controlled split-s, 10 feet from the ground, and pull the stick back until the springs popped.

not a sound, and no foam flurry. i kind of walk to her, in total disbelief, while moving my head around to inspect the plane for any visually apparent damage. no damage. i break out into a roger-rabbit move, grossly celebrating my piloting resourcefulness. i'm glad no one saw me. in retrospect, naturally in slow-mo, i think the formosa ended its bottom end of the slit-s maneuver exactly on the asphalt. it was a better landing than any of my other "greased" landings.

there are days when you walk away from the field, smiling about the perfect 30 second hover, or about the extended inverted low fly-by's, or just smiling just cause i'm a dumbass, and then you have days like this, where dumb-luck just pours out the butt. i'm smilin'.

just a little flight report.

-james
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Jan 02, 2004, 01:13 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
James-
This dumbass could have used some of that luck yesterday.
oh well at least i remembered the micro-balloons to make the epoxy white. It doesn't show toooo bad...

thinking about going to mercer in a few minutes and see what the conditions are. I am really itching to get some more of the e-starter on steroids stick time...

Tony
Old Jan 02, 2004, 01:52 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
ah, the brotherhood of the lvc. are you going to run your 3s tp on the razor? or the etecs? the razor should be okay on the 12-13 amp bursts. we have a bit of an overcast right now i think.

i started building my e-starter couple nights ago. little bit at a time. i dunno. i may bypass the super modding the control surfaces "for now". the surfaces are rather thin and i don't know how much i can add to it, without compromising control finesse. the ailerons are especially tricky to make it look good, while increasing the surfaces. they are generally too far outboard to make it effective on anti torque rolling.

of course that doesn't mean i am not doing some improve-mods. i reconfigured the steerible tail area for more beef, opened up the slots to allow max"+" tail feathers, and more than anything else, tried to be super nice on part alignment and angles. made some more holeshot intake and exit vents, right over the batteries, and will be adding some nice wheels...

the motivation on the paint scheme is, generally anything but gws decals. i've decided to fly 'er naked for the time being, pick up some sky blue paint and trim, and copy patrick keagen's e-starter paint theme. nothing fancy, but done in good taste. two thick "pin-stripe-like" lines running front to back, and painted nose cone. and maybe some simple wing-top painting, followng the mold lines.

i am toying around with subtle decal mods, such as, partitioning the window blackouts into sub window pieces. kind of making it look like it's got small slider within a window. you know? that and separating the front window into two halves. little stuff here and there. nothing fancy. i guess the point is just that. making it look all docile and stock and stuff, then take out the can of rc whoop-ass by going totally ballistic.

i think i might finish building her tonight, and maybe maiden her tomorrow. we shall see...

if you decide to go, have fun at mercer. gotta go home and run some errands. maybe hook up with you guys tomorrow? cheers then!

-james
Old Jan 02, 2004, 04:42 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
ahh that's better,
Just returned from a gray but not too windy Mercer after converting a few electrons.

It was a bit choppy at the treetops, and the direction of the breeze was, shall we say unpredictable, but i got in almost an hour of air time.
I tried a little duration test today, but because of the LVC thing with pinky, i was a bit conservative i think. Anyway i flew the e-starter on a 2s 1200 balsproducts 5C battery for 18 minutes.
almost all at about half throttle. Pretty much flying like stock at 3/4 or so. just puttering around nascar style. might have made 20 minutes, i dunno..but if you could fly a camera onboard for 10-12 minutes, that would be cool.
heh pretty cool for 25$ (40 minuus the 15$ motor)
Still flys like an e-starter, no morphing into a miss june here, just the same with vigor.
took all of 10 or 15 minutes to swap the motor and controller in.

Considering (re)finishing mine to look like a 1/4 scale model of Loones Kadet. heheh..
i will have to definitely step up to 3S to keep pace at all with the Kadet. It looks like it's just strolling along, but it was going about twice as fast under 1/2 throttle as the e-starter at wide open (1180). it is very decieving. Those big loops and slow rolls add to the perception, but it is probably going 40 or more most of the time.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 03:32 PM
Huh?
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2003
289 Posts
Tone,

I have an E-starter (stock EPS350) that I love flying, especially doing all those things with it that you are not supposed to be able to do with a 'trainer', and using it to drop paratroopers and tow gliders.
I would love to see how yours performs with a brushless.
I'd also like to see how my Formosa compares to others (I am the only one around here with one).

I have a job in downtown Atlanta tomorrow at 1PM.
Is there any chance you'll be around the Mercer site tomorrow around 11:30 AM???

If so, I'll toss someplanes in my car and leave here early!

Tony G.
smokinjo is offline Find More Posts by smokinjo
Old Jan 05, 2004, 04:24 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Tony G. -
Yeah i really have been having fun with it again. I mean it's not like my Formosa or anything, but it is way better than when i had it stock. takes off in about 4 or5 feet, doesn't launch, just lifts off.
I t will loop a bunch of times in a row without losing altitude, stuff like that. Inverted is easier and you don't HAVE to lose altitude doing rolls, I usually do anyway cause i stink as a pilot, but i can definitely see that you don't HAVE to like i used to on the stock 300C. The weather here is supposed to be unflyable tomorrow with wind at about 16mph and that will ground everything i have.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...t=Get+Forecast

i like that site and how it's laid out. easy.

My formosa is unlike any that i have seen anyway. Mine is still ranked 3rd lightest i think in the Formosa weigh in (lat time i saw the thread) and as such it is hilariously slow next to mike d's mega powered direct drive ultracote covered retract installed version. i think his is about twice as heavy as mine.
He uses 10 cell kans and i use 2s and 3s etec 1200's.
But his is fast and smooth and stable. mine is slow and floaty and all. all in all i love it, but it doesn't seem like any others, in fact i haven't seen any two that i could say are very similar.
I have been lucky to see a bunch of em. Mike D, Bill K, Foam Crazy, Dannirr, David J, SBlake and atlantae, have all flown when i have been there, razor and mega and himaxx (2 different), a few stock.. excellent, i like them all, but mine suits me.

the thing with the e-starter is that it is only about 14oz now with the 2s1200's and an 1180 prop, i would have tried the 3S by now, but they won't fit in the stock battery bay.
It's was basically retired until i got this motor.

would love to meet and discuss planes with you sometime though..

Tony
Old Jan 05, 2004, 04:45 PM
Huh?
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2003
289 Posts
14 oz. !
Good Lord!

Mine was my first build (and first two major repair jobs) and weighs about 17 oz. now. I have since learned lighter building techniques and MUCH lighter repairing techniques.

I've attached a live video camera to it but the prop really destroyed the recorded vidoe (VHS framerate - I guess) and the plane flew terribly with the added drag of a camera on top of the wing. Funny, since it tows the little gliders like there's nothing there. I have a little compiled video of the E-starter here:
http://www.smokinjo9r.com/RC/movies/...oing-stuff.WMV

Seems nobody ever has the camera rolling when I do anything really exciting, though.

I follow the same weather site. Sometimes the forcast changes radically in a 12 hour span, so I remain hopeful. I'll check it late tonite and if it looks promising, I'll set my alarm clock an hour early and drop by.
The E-starter and Formosa are my two favorite birds for the wind.
Yesterday I got a nice feather-light vertical landing with the E-Starter - got lucky landing in the time between gusts!

Tony G.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 05:20 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
tony g,

nice video, and a great landing. if the weather is okay, i hope to fly a little tomorrow at mercer. but i get off work at around 3, and maybe get there by 3:30-ish. if i'm flying, i'll probably fly til 5:30-6pm. it'll definitely be cool to see your stuff though. hope the times work out, and the winds stay away. we'll see ya.

-james
Old Jan 05, 2004, 06:10 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Tony G-
Excellent Video and a GREAT paint scheme!
Your ES flys great too. Mine (with me at the sticks) always lost a lot of altitude trying to roll. But perhaps all the practice with the Formosa has helped. I think mine used to weigh about that much too. Razor shaves an ounce+ off and the lipos shave another 1.8+ off so theres the difference right there. i was using the gws 7cell 730 aaa and it was fine, but not great. this is a veny nicely behaved plane right now. it WILL be nuts if i get the 3S 1200s in there somehow.

Tony
P.S. I may try to meet with james at the end of the day at mercer.
It doesn't look good for the lunch hour as i will be all the way down at the airport area.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 06:23 PM
Huh?
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2003
289 Posts
Thanks,

My planes all look good from at least 30 feet away!
Get em in yer hand and you'll see how beat up they are.
These days, I'm getting more damage from loading them in the car. An my kids seem to have a knack for accidentally running into them with their R/C trucks.
As long as they fly well, I can't see replacing 'em.

I'll take the extra hour of sleep. I should be done working by 3:00 so, traffic and weather permitting, I should be able to meet up with you guys at Mercer.
Hopefully my new plane will arrive here tomorrow while the other half is at home, otherwise I'll have to hurry home. Don't want to have a big box sitting on my doorstep.

Hopefully see you tomorrow!

Tony G.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 07:14 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
sounds good tony. layer up a little tomorrow. cold front coming in. let's hope for no wind.

-james
Old Jan 06, 2004, 11:22 AM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
oh wow... according to the forecasts, it looks like the winds are just not going to let up. it's beautiful outside though, from inside. i'll standby and see what happens.
Closed Thread