SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Looks like a spare tail boom would be a good thing to have on hand....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:01 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
496 Posts
quote: There wasn't much info on the angles and dangles so I had to use my best guess. quote

why is that? I would think with all the flying by Louis and all he would have some suggestions?
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:55 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Funny..............That's what I was thinking.......................
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
quote: There wasn't much info on the angles and dangles so I had to use my best guess. quote

why is that? I would think with all the flying by Louis and all he would have some suggestions?
I think the rotor blade pull-line should through the CG.
And the angle range shouldn't too much.

Positioning the battery to match the CG hole is important,the best weight of Battery is 500g. Anyone want to fly higher,he should adjust the plane by low fly from taking off and landing with trim.

Regards
Louis
LOUIS HU is offline Find More Posts by LOUIS HU
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:48 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
sweeeeet
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply. I've got too many irons in the fire.
This model is normally sold in China as an ARF and the only assembly is the radio gear. The setup is pretty much ready to go and referral is made to pictures. In order to ship this to me, the model had to be disassembled. I took it even further apart to photograph parts for instructions. When this ship to the US, it will have more concise specs. I realized after the test flight that I misinterpreted one of the photos, which was all there was to go on. I set the neutral pitch too far to the rear which accounts for the unexpected and early liftoff. After I get the model trimmed for normal flight, I'll post the settings that we are used to using for setup.

This Calidus is well thought out and well made. I honestly think this will be a great addition to anyone's hangar. Let's hope that Aerodragon-RC will be able to get the distribution out to the masses soon!

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply. I've got too many irons in the fire.
This model is normally sold in China as an ARF and the only assembly is the radio gear. The setup is pretty much ready to go and referral is made to pictures. In order to ship this to me, the model had to be disassembled. I took it even further apart to photograph parts for instructions. When this ship to the US, it will have more concise specs. I realized after the test flight that I misinterpreted one of the photos, which was all there was to go on. I set the neutral pitch too far to the rear which accounts for the unexpected and early liftoff. After I get the model trimmed for normal flight, I'll post the settings that we are used to using for setup.

This Calidus is well thought out and well made. I honestly think this will be a great addition to anyone's hangar. Let's hope that Aerodragon-RC will be able to get the distribution out to the masses soon!

Don
This sounds great so far! Thanks for clarifying all this. It makes sense now. Looking forward to a nice vid and the settings info,,,,then of course if all goes well [I feeling it will] we need the ordering info!!!!
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:51 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Well Gentlemen
After looking at the name of this thread....I am pretty disappointed with the way it has gone. from the start I have been asking Louis for freight prices and availability of this kit
I have been showing a lot of interest in this model.
I must admit that the ARF price of $325.00 plus freight is at the top of my price range...but I have been so impressed with this model ,that I thought that I would spend up for once.
Louis has now advised me that there will be an agent in Oz ....and I am sure that will put this model out of my price range............It's a pity that I could not have received a kit prior to an agent being supplied....I'm not a happy chappy......
Chris.............
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
Well Gentlemen
After looking at the name of this thread....I am pretty disappointed with the way it has gone. from the start I have been asking Louis for freight prices and availability of this kit
I have been showing a lot of interest in this model.
I must admit that the ARF price of $325.00 plus freight is at the top of my price range...but I have been so impressed with this model ,that I thought that I would spend up for once.
Louis has now advised me that there will be an agent in Oz ....and I am sure that will put this model out of my price range............It's a pity that I could not have received a kit prior to an agent being supplied....I'm not a happy chappy......
Chris.............
Hi Chris
please don't be disappointed with the price,I promise if you really want one,I will info the agent in OZ that give you a preferential price.Hope you can understand me.I am very glad to hear your strong interesting at calidus.
Calidus is not in stock now,if there are some left,I really want to send one to you,based on your strong interesting!
Or I will have a communication with agent,send you the calidus alone,if he can accept it.Hope you are glad to know this info!

Thank you!

Regards
LOUIS
LOUIS HU is offline Find More Posts by LOUIS HU
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:40 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,906 Posts
Chris,
It will end up like the Gyro One making it out of reach for the average modeller.
There is no reason why a man of your capabilities could not design their own? I am seriously thinking about it myself, there has always been one thing that puts me off and that is the canopy.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:59 AM
Greece, Peloponnisos Dytiki Ellada ke Ionio, Thouria
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
Hello...
I agree 100% with Rich .
I am sure that most of us has the capabilities to design or build from plans their own A\G and to have the satisfaction of creation
I think the price of Calidus is too high for the average modeller.
Fanis.
F.FANIS is offline Find More Posts by F.FANIS
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:05 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
We may be jumping to conclusions here. There aren't many ARF auto gyros to choose from and certainly fewer that are this quality.We still don't know how much they will be asking for this one. It may be less than we think, especially once manufacturing is ramped up. There are several AG kits that cost nearly as much as what I suspect this will go for and you have to build them.

I think Louis may have jumped the gun on showing his creation. He worked hard to design and engineer a quality model and was anxious to show it off, like any of us would have done. Now he is finding out how ruthless and cutthroat the international market is. He invested a lot of money to get this to manufacturing and I'm sure he barely broke even, if at all, on the first 50 units. If he's smart, he'll wait until he has a more definite market before making the next batch.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep everyone informed of my progress as it happens. I have made all the necessary adjustments and she is ready to go again. I'm just waiting for favorable weather and my video guy to be available at the same time.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
166 Posts
If anyone is interested in drawings and a few dimensions of the full size, have a look at the 2 PDF brochures on there web site. http://www.autogyrousa.com/calidus-a...info-sales.asp

(Calidus Brochure (PDF, 4MB) - Calidus Flight Manual (PDF, 1.5MB)

Nils
nja is offline Find More Posts by nja
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Louis
March is only a few weeks away............I do want the kit from you ........but just lets say that I have my doubts.........but at the same time live in hope.........time will tell....
Chris..............
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:31 AM
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
403 Posts
Rich, molding the canopy or having it molded for production is not really a problem. If you can make a plug it can be done (as I am sure you know). Back in my apprentice days 45 years ago at GM Luton we made plugs for all sorts of applications including panel presses, fiberglass and plastic parts etc without the aid or computers etc.Just a drawing and modelling clay. We used to make a full size car or van out of clay and then hand beat the panels out of steel and then the tool makers would make the press dies by hand tool. I have a contact who runs a company that does
SLA laser shaping, also called optically-immobilized-stereoscopic modeling. He made some replacement locking parts for 1/4 scale springair retracts for me. If you can do the computer modelling I am sure he could make a mold for either carbon fiber or fiberglass. The issue will be the cost for the first production run. Carboncopyuk.com us where I would start.
BigTradioman is offline Find More Posts by BigTradioman