HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
698 Posts
Discussion
No New Indoor 3D Models from Horizon?

Hey, what happened to the indoor 3D models from Horizon Hobby?

I see nothing listed on their web site, are they not making the UMX Extra 300 3D or the 4Site anymore?

Are they not marketing any new offerings for 2012/2013 indoor season?

Forgive me for not knowing these things but I am only now thinking about buying new planes for the upcoming indoor season.

Jordon
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:28 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
Hyper Taxi.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
It sucks doesn't it? If for no other reason than one day we'll run out of 4site/300 motor mounts for building our own indoor 3D planes with dynamicfoamy or fancyfoam fuselages. I do find it encouraging that still keeps this page up despite not having any offerings at the moment:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Airplanes/3DFoamies/
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Do what we did in the "Olden Days", like back in 2004, 2005 - the Dark Ages of indoor flight.

WE MADE OUR OWN !!!!!

Granted, they weren't as light - or small - or as fancy, but we wouldn't be where we are today without them!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I know. They need a 1S SE5a and a 22" 2S Extra 300.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,612 Posts
It seems that Horizon will not get into the UM WW1 micros only WW2. I wonder if there is a deal with Flyzone to stay out of the WW1 area?
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,392 Posts
Whoever puts out a UM Sopwith Camel will get my $$$

It does seem they've discontinued a number of the UM 3D planes, with no replacements offered thus far (the Beast being the exception).
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
Whoever puts out a UM Sopwith Camel will get my $$$

It does seem they've discontinued a number of the UM 3D planes, with no replacements offered thus far (the Beast being the exception).
I'm in for an indoor Camel.

The New 3D Sbach will do 3D moves, just not by a non professional in a gym.

Give me the guts, but with 2X the wing area and 2/3 the weight.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
"Hey, what happened to the indoor 3D models from Horizon Hobby?"

Funny but we were just talking about that very thing tonight at our indoor flying site. The closest 'replacements' I've come up with are from Dynamic Foamy but they are kits.

I built the Dynamic 342 and Yak 55, adding electronics from a UMX Extra 300 and/or 4-Site purchased in the classified section here, and bought a Dynex 2.4 already built. All three are good fliers, but the Yak is probably my favorite. It flies a lot like the UMX Extra 300. The kits are reasonably priced and very easy to assemble, but you do have to provide your own electronics.

I think Horizon is really missing the mark by not offering something similar as a BNF.

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
698 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts guys, I was just thinking that maybe I was out-of-the-loop and missing some of the new models that were out there somewhere.

Do you suppose that the economy has finally affected Horizon Hobby and the small (pardon the pun) micro indoor market is not proving profitable? Something has certainly affected their business decisions for they were the leader in micro aircraft for years, i.e. the micro Cessna 210, Citabria, Vapor, Ember, Sukhoi, 4-Site, UMX Extra 300 and now there is nothing new on their 2012/2013 indoor lineup.

Interesting thought eltreato; if Horizon stops marketing their micro aircraft, there goes our supply of readily available micro gear, let’s hope that does not happen anytime soon.

As much as I do not want to admit to being one, it seems that I have become one of “ THOSE” guys, the ones who have more money (relatively speaking) than time and/or inclination to try and design our own micro plane and then experiment with CG, wing area, equipment etc. I guess I have reached the age where I know my limitations and I am just not that good at developing RC planes. Heck, the purchase price on most of the micro ARFs is so low that for an old guy like me to spend what little free time he has in frustration and broken parts is just not worth it, can just buy something that is proven and go fly the same afternoon!

Then again, that is just my 2 cents.

Jordon
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr View Post
As much as I do not want to admit to being one, it seems that I have become one of “ THOSE” guys, the ones who have more money (relatively speaking) than time and/or inclination to try and design our own micro plane and then experiment with CG, wing area, equipment etc. I guess I have reached the age where I know my limitations and I am just not that good at developing RC planes. Heck, the purchase price on most of the micro ARFs is so low that for an old guy like me to spend what little free time he has in frustration and broken parts is just not worth it, can just buy something that is proven and go fly the same afternoon!

Jordon
+1!! I have a feeling based on that lonely old page on the e-fliterc.com site that we haven't seen the last of their indoor 3D profile planes, though I would've thought they'd have released something by now in time for the indoor season in North America. If you follow Blade helis at all though, they recently had a great release of their new indoor nano cpx heli, with less than a month from the announcement, to when it hit LHS shelves. It seems like they took a hint from the release of the PZ Spitfire and ASK-21 among others. Wouldn't it be nice if e-flite had a quick turnaround of a one or two cell (brushless :-) indoor 3D plane? Especially if it's more reasonably priced than the Extra 300 was. Dare to dream...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr View Post
Thanks for your thoughts guys, I was just thinking that maybe I was out-of-the-loop and missing some of the new models that were out there somewhere.

Do you suppose that the economy has finally affected Horizon Hobby and the small (pardon the pun) micro indoor market is not proving profitable? Something has certainly affected their business decisions for they were the leader in micro aircraft for years, i.e. the micro Cessna 210, Citabria, Vapor, Ember, Sukhoi, 4-Site, UMX Extra 300 and now there is nothing new on their 2012/2013 indoor lineup.

Interesting thought eltreato; if Horizon stops marketing their micro aircraft, there goes our supply of readily available micro gear, let’s hope that does not happen anytime soon.

Jordon
While their 3D micro lineup remains small, just the hyper taxi thats a very niche product. They do have indoor planes to replace the ones you mentioned, the champ, the cub, the mustang the spit the sukhoi xp. All the electronics for their small planes 3D planes(except maybe the motor mount) are still there.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
My concern is that in addition to the motor mounts, the ar6400L is no longer available. This was the brick used in the Extra 300, it has, if I recall correctly, just over a mm more travel than a regular ar6400, making it ideal for building your own 3D profile plane. I have a spare ar6400, but I'm not sure how good it will be for 3D given the shorter throw. If you really want to be technical too, the aileron servos used by the Extra 300 have been replaced with the ones used by the Beast 3D, at least they're long throw, though they weigh a tiny bit more as they're more robust and capable of supporting the demands of AS3X.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...esc-SPMAR6410L

I think youre right though about the servo, but i do know that as3x works amazing for F3P planes, especially with the usb programmer and the new 1S AS3X boards.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...esc-SPMAR6410L

I think youre right though about the servo, but i do know that as3x works amazing for F3P planes, especially with the usb programmer and the new 1S AS3X boards.

Perfect, thanks for posting the link.