SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:57 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
That's a complicated question because answer is long and more than one answer

I don't see how this is at all Alex's exspence but only a bennifit to him and others who say high powered video tx is not good choice.

In a nut shell your question has been answered recently in my posts and just now yours.

There are many components that you can buy that will work closely with each other, and many that do not work well when used together unless separated from each other etc.

So to answer your question investigate components before you purchase as a newbie or someone who does not want to have to separate components due to noise.

200 mw and 1.5 watt video tx should not effect UHF rx as example if the rx has filters as example.

Putting stuff out on the wings to get better video or rc reception has is bennifits, but also causes much unneeded drag and poor flight performance. Haveing to trim ailerons to compensate as example is not good thing.

Buy the components that work no problem together, when placed nice and close, this makes fpv much more enjoyable by keeping things simple.

People that want to argue that 1.5 watt video tx is not good for plane need to investigate further into their conclusion.

Your plane should pass ground tests with high and lower video Txs

Each set up obviously is different however. because of plane choice etc





Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Ok David, we have been hearing that you know how to position the components closely together, even while using a 1.5W Tx. I understand this requires careful range testing, and the careful selection of the right components. You've said you have been PM'd and have helped others to recreate your success.
So please share with us what it is you do that makes this work so well. I don't really want to hear anymore about the fact that you can do this successfully, we would be better served hearing your specific techniques. Otherwise it isn't about education, but merely bragging and proving your point at Alex's expense. Let's make this constructive and educational.
Learn me something!
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
nick_75au's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
So why don't you post your full set-up, others can emulate it, if there are issues you can help them sort it out, now that would be helpful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
That's a complicated question because answer is long and more than one answer

I don't see how this is at all Alex's exspence but only a bennifit to him and others who say high powered video tx is not good choice.

In a nut shell your question has been answered recently in my posts and just now yours.

There are many components that you can buy that will work closely with each other, and many that do not work well when used together unless separated from each other etc.

So to answer your question investigate components before you purchase as a newbie or someone who does not want to have to separate components due to noise.

200 mw and 1.5 watt video tx should not effect UHF rx as example if the rx has filters as example.

Putting stuff out on the wings to get better video or rc reception has is bennifits, but also causes much unneeded drag and poor flight performance. Haveing to trim ailerons to compensate as example is not good thing.

Buy the components that work no problem together, when placed nice and close, this makes fpv much more enjoyable by keeping things simple.

People that want to argue that 1.5 watt video tx is not good for plane need to investigate further into their conclusion.

Your plane should pass ground tests with high and lower video Txs

Each set up obviously is different however. because of plane choice etc
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Last edited by nick_75au; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Mobile phone typing late at night
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
Exactly. We would love to see what you are doing on your plane.
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
I will but USB connector to my camera has been lost, will go get card reader to get pictures on Internet.

But my pictures really will only be pictures of my plane.
There are zillions of ways to properly set up planes, not just my way for this particular plane, however first to,place all,components with high power video tx nice and close and still get great video and perfect rc reception



The whole idea is to choose servos, cameras and all,fpv stuff that work for particular situation.

Cameras are noisy but noisy ones are best quality. GPS etc also effect set up and how you would like to,do,it.

Fpv is actually very complicated

Like some servos don't like 1.2 or UHF Txs
Some cameras effect UHF rx
Regulators etc. effect stuff


But to throw a low powered video tx in a plane to,solve problems is just wrong
Same as throwing high power to solve,issues

The way is to set up plane properly and not have to waste money and time, ie helping newbies buy proper components correctly the first time
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
You still have not explained anything to anyone.
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Wettfeat's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
David 22
How can I cram a 1.5W 2.4ghz vtx into a mini super cub using stock antenna's flying it with a spektrum radio and get approximately 100 miles like the drones? Surely you must know!!!
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,359 Posts
Well today we finally broke the LOS barrier... we flew just beyond visual range.. not much far (only 600m away) but definitily totally out of sight...

Still developing some interference problems in the control chanel.. OSD changes screen (wich is controlled by a chanel) and i allready swaped the wire from a unshielded one ..to a bads-shielded, to a new proper shielded one.. no diferences.. interference in that chanel for some reason..

Also examinating the video i see control interferences in the >500m range with a 500mW 35mhz Futaba 7C with a stock antenna Corona RP8D1 Rx.. with that stock antenna should still go 1-2km with no problem/glitch at all.. yet there are..

Next step is i guess shielding the wires wich go from Rx to PPM encoder.. they are long (15cm) twisted wire... twisted wires i know are good for not "giving" RF, but can they pick it? maybe the interference might be picked in the RX->PPM and not PPM->OSD part

Performance of the plane was good as its showing for this long range flying.. there was a tiny bit of slope involved , but even so this figures are ok i think







Really must find out what causes that interference..
if not i can allways turn to the Flysky 9X radio with FrSky module and 2.4ghz booster.. that very setup is used by another local FPV pilot with great sucess (he went 12kms with >90% RSSI ) and FrSky offers Rx with allready PPM and RSSI out
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
Registered User
Bill0's Avatar
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,125 Posts
I'm building a plane now, so pictures would be nice, you know, help us noobs out. I can't quit get the picture in my head from all the talk, pictures sure would be nice, even maybe a couple of videos of how well everything is working.

thank you.



USB cables are pretty cheap, too.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
I'm building a plane now, so pictures would be nice, you know, help us noobs out. I can't quit get the picture in my head from all the talk, pictures sure would be nice, even maybe a couple of videos of how well everything is working.

thank you.



USB cables are pretty cheap, too.
Hope these help...

My FPV Set-up (3 min 47 sec)

Super Simple FPV Easystar (2 min 27 sec)

Big Wing Easystar FPV Set-up (6 min 37 sec)

4 miles (2 min 12 sec)
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
Registered User
Bill0's Avatar
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,125 Posts
Thanks for the pics and video's. I was kind of curious of how David22 had his high powered stuff set up so there was no interference.

I've followed your videos and travels a lot. Love the Navy.

Thanks for your service. I know the Navy can be hard on family life, so hug your wife and kids, I appreciate them too.

Thanks again..............Bill
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
Thanks for the pics and video's. I was kind of curious of how David22 had his high powered stuff set up so there was no interference.

I've followed your videos and travels a lot. Love the Navy.

Thanks for your service. I know the Navy can be hard on family life, so hug your wife and kids, I appreciate them too.

Thanks again..............Bill
Bill,

Many thanks...

BTW, today is the USN's 237th birthday!

America's Navy - 100 Percent (0 min 31 sec)


JBB
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
FWIW...

I'm not a big fan of high powered systems...way too much for what you need...

In particular, I like to use 5V video systems powered via a UBEC. This way, the plane will be long down before the video goes out...

Most of our flying is within 2-3 miles, for which a low to medium power systems will more than suffice...
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:01 AM
Registered User
Bill0's Avatar
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,125 Posts
I have a 200mw. Should be good enough for all I wan to do for now.

5.8, by the way.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
You really should not fly 2.4 for rc control and also 1.2 for video
2.4 and 900 would be better choice but only for close range and most likely you will want to fly further with smaller antennas


You most likely will be best to start out with say dragon link that is new version and go with 2.4 for video and also have some planes with 1.2 for video.

This forum is for fpv not UVA like drones so best ask drones guys in other forums for UVA

I do have friend who does drone only stuff and he does not use video for control and lands planes which are $$$ useing drone UVA stuff
Soon I fill take Ezstar like 2500 feet up and then let him take video goggles and rc controller,for very first time, as he is pro at UVA and never done fpv , but expert rc flyer and won many prize around the world for his rc talents. He will be shocked I put him in situation so far away and 6mm camera lense . I will hold pv500 lawmate pvr and manually aim video rx antenna. Should be fun for both of us.



I do not use any UVA stuff or even OSd as I just fly regular rc and fpv with no assisted help by UVA

Gone over 30 km away and glided back home whole way, long time ago
But long range is boring lol
Not really but to do that requires the 100percent or near perfect plane install

Your cub will not get far away like you think even with UVA as it is small

Read posts from guys who do as you want to do and copy them, but be careful of the vendors and them trying to sell you their particular set up as they can charge lots as third party.

I did lots of flying with 2.4 for rc control and 1.2 for video, found pan or tilt was great way to experience fail safe as example

Wasted
Lots of money flying 2.4 for rc control as UHF is so much better even for regular rc and los

If you fly helli and not far away maybe 5.8 will,work best for you when useing 2.4 for rc control.

But guess you will loose plane or helli because of 2.4 rc control and would save money if you buy UHF system ASAP

Cheers and hope you the best

Will go onto other threads and visit this one latter







QUOTE=Wettfeat;22993470]David 22
How can I cram a 1.5W 2.4ghz vtx into a mini super cub using stock antenna's flying it with a spektrum radio and get approximately 100 miles like the drones? Surely you must know!!! [/QUOTE]
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
My fun jet has a 250mw 2.4 and I love low powered set-ups as they can do lots and have great video.

With good antennas for each end low video tx works well and makes things easier.

High powered video tx just good for extreme flying situations like 3d or stuff in the way.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
I have a 200mw. Should be good enough for all I wan to do for now.

5.8, by the way.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 08:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 07:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 09:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 08:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 08:41 PM