HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Just installed SAPAC fan and all I can say is wow. When it stops snowing I'll give it a trY!!!
Its a shame they're going out of business, I'm glad I have 4 of their motors..they are the best bang for the buck in 70mm world IMHO. You can get the motor\fan combos from HIMODEL but the shipping is killer.

I get 4.5pds of thrust on 80amps\5s with mine, the closet thing to the MB1s is the Turnigy 2839 out runner. Bunch test I get 4pds of thrust on 5s\70amps and 3pds of thrust 50amps\4s.

HK also sells the T-50 fan which is a decent enough knock off to the SAPAC fan.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
Registered User
Qtop's Avatar
Denmark
Joined Apr 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Its a shame they're going out of business, I'm glad I have 4 of their motors..they are the best bang for the buck in 70mm world IMHO. You can get the motor\fan combos from HIMODEL but the shipping is killer.

I get 4.5pds of thrust on 80amps\5s with mine, the closet thing to the MB1s is the Turnigy 2839 out runner. Bunch test I get 4pds of thrust on 5s\70amps and 3pds of thrust 50amps\4s.

HK also sells the T-50 fan which is a decent enough knock off to the SAPAC fan.
What motor do you use? Do you have a number or a link?

Thanks Q
Qtop is offline Find More Posts by Qtop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
RC Castle is selling Sapac brand fans shipping was free with the combo I bought and it only took about a week to get here! I don't have a watt meter but with a fresh 4cell 40 c pack its very close to hovering. Had to trim foam to accomidate the intake lip also had to move my 2200mah pack way forward more trimming of foam required due to the design of the cyclone motor. I also moved the fan ahead as far as possible.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Just checked HI model is out of stock.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtop View Post
What motor do you use? Do you have a number or a link?

Thanks Q
MB1 and SAPAC fan - http://www.hobbydream.com/sapacgloba...or_p10866.html

Turnigy 2839 and T-50 fan - HK Motor (link) and HK T-50 fan (link)

HK Combo is a good deal when those fans are ever in stock....16 dollars for the motor and fan and can do 4pds of thrust on 5s....not bad
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:22 AM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Not bad at all. I just weighed my plane on a pretty high quality digital scale 2.82 Lbs with battery. I zeroed the scale and balanced the plane nose down full throttle and saw 2.4 lbs not sure how good of a test that was. It seems I'm still off on a 1/1 ratio but I'm thinking the plane probably gains some because of the air being fed to the fan at speed.

Just ordered one from hobby dream the price is right!

ERH when your testing your motor fan combos are they in the plane?
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Oct 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
John
jk671's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Has anyone ran the cyclone power cs480-3300kv motor on 5S yet?? I haven't even been able to push full throttle with mine... I am running the motor in an rclander metal edf unit. I thought the units were already balanced from the factory. I had so much vibration in the unit that my fan started rubbing the housing... It was my fault I didn't test to make sure the fan was balanced before installing... I thin the aluminum spinner is what is unbalanced... idk gonna take me sometime to fix the issue... but has anyone ran the 5S on the cyclone power cs480-3300kv motor? ?? Smooth? Powerful???
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:40 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Has anyone ran the cyclone power cs480-3300kv motor on 5S yet?? I haven't even been able to push full throttle with mine... I am running the motor in an rclander metal edf unit. I thought the units were already balanced from the factory. I had so much vibration in the unit that my fan started rubbing the housing... It was my fault I didn't test to make sure the fan was balanced before installing... I thin the aluminum spinner is what is unbalanced... idk gonna take me sometime to fix the issue... but has anyone ran the 5S on the cyclone power cs480-3300kv motor? ?? Smooth? Powerful???
It should be smooth, you can dynamically balance it yourself...read the thread on balancing an EDF with a cell phone.

Prolly just the spinner out of of frequency
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Ok just flew my f18 with sapac fan 3300kv cyclone combination definitely more power. Vertical is not unlimited but it climbs much further than before. Combo is quite a bit louder and faster I'm going to balance it with a magnetic balancer I just ordered that should improve performance as well. Five cell test will be next as soon as my watt meter gets here.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:00 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
...ERH when your testing your motor fan combos are they in the plane?
Nope, on bench with lip and no tube.

In plane adds too many variables that aren't needed for efficiency readings.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
...Combo is quite a bit louder and faster I'm going to balance it with a magnetic balancer...
Do you feel a lot of vibration from your unit on spin up?

Quote:
... I just ordered that should improve performance as well...
Which one did you order?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:08 AM
John
jk671's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Ok wow! Do not run the cyclone power cs480-3300kv motor on 5S! I spooled it up yesterday no fan... I wanted to see if my motor was still balanced... but I spooled her up pretty high and sparks flew out the motor! Freaked me out... really disappointed that my cp motor wont be in my f-18. I was really looking forward to having it in there! On the bright side I do have. And mb-1 and sapac fan just waiting to be dropped in an airframe! So there it is... I wanted to run the f-18 on 5S and the mb-1 is the only motor I can find that is specifically designed for 5S. I wish there was a motor just as powerful but more efficient amperage wise! Looking forward to finding one!
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:49 AM
Registered User
wow1's Avatar
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Vibration throughout the entire rpm band! Did I mention it was LOUD I mean LOUD!!

I ordered a Top Flite Magnetic balance but after reading about the cell phone balance method I'm going to try that today.

Thanks for the info on the five cell test saved me fourty bucks! Sorry for your loss.

I did order another Sapac fan with a relabeled MB1 perhaps that will handle five cells.

This set up 3300 cyclone with sapac fan 4 cell 2200 40c makes the plane scoot at a very respectable pace a good bit faster than stock. Can't wait to get it balanced and fly it more. We have another five inches of snow forecasted for later today so I wont be able to fly. Hay snow in October is to early if the gods are listening knock it off!!


Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Oct 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
John
jk671's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Vibration throughout the entire rpm band! Did I mention it was LOUD I mean LOUD!!

I ordered a Top Flite Magnetic balance but after reading about the cell phone balance method I'm going to try that today.

Thanks for the info on the five cell test saved me fourty bucks! Sorry for your loss.

I did order another Sapac fan with a relabeled MB1 perhaps that will handle five cells.

This set up 3300 cyclone with sapac fan 4 cell 2200 40c makes the plane scoot at a very respectable pace a good bit faster than stock. Can't wait to get it balanced and fly it more. We have another five inches of snow forecasted for later today so I wont be able to fly. Hay snow in October is to early if the gods are
Karl
Do you have the link for the cell phone balancing thread? ??
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User
Qtop's Avatar
Denmark
Joined Apr 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
MB1 and SAPAC fan - http://www.hobbydream.com/sapacgloba...or_p10866.html

Turnigy 2839 and T-50 fan - HK Motor (link) and HK T-50 fan (link)

HK Combo is a good deal when those fans are ever in stock....16 dollars for the motor and fan and can do 4pds of thrust on 5s....not bad
Thanks.. just ordered a sapac/mb1
Qtop is offline Find More Posts by Qtop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New! $129 Nitro Planes Rc Landers 70MM F-16D EDF Jet With Retracts FlyBoyTha1 Foamy EDFs 49 Jun 20, 2009 05:58 PM
Discussion Starmax/Exceed RC/Topgun F18-C 70mm what Fan does it use? Stuart B Foamy EDFs 0 May 16, 2009 12:39 PM
New Product New!!! Exceed RC F-22 Raptor 70mm Ducted Fan RC Jet nitroplanes Nitro Planes 9 Apr 19, 2009 08:06 AM
Cool *** UPDATE *** New Version 2 70mm Exceed RC F/A-18C EDF Jet + NEW MOD VIDEO nitroplanes Nitro Planes 2 Mar 20, 2009 05:57 PM