HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Help!
Short Stirling plans or drawings?

Does anyone have a source or copies of plans for the Short Stirling? All I could find for drawings (the AirWarRu.com drawings are pcx files so I can't open them on this PC) below. Some photos too. Such an ungainly looking beast but there's something about it I like.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:28 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
There's something about it I like too Mike - it would look absolutely BRILLIANT at giant scale... BUT... Have you seen that undercart?
It would take a lot more of an engineer than I am to reproduce that even passably near!

Maybe a small one for hand launch?
But as big as possible... four or five pounds all up?
What had you in mind?
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:37 AM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,360 Posts
there's some drawings available through
http://www.bobsairdoc.com/Aircraft_Doc_Catalog07.pdf

he has a couple of different ones for the Stirling.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,605 Posts
Hey Mike,

My Dad flew in Stirlings in HCU and I am determined to build a scale Stirling "one-of-these-days." I have collected a s*** load of information over the last few years. AMA have an excellent plan set for a 74" version (including the original build article) and there is also a rubber-powered one, about half that size, can't remember where I got it. Short Stirling in Action has good 3-views. On the web, the Short Stirling Pages have some info, but there is a real scarcity of good stuff on the poor maligned bird.

The part that really intimidates me is that clumsy stork-like landing gear. I finally got Bowyer's "The Short Stirling Story" which had good enough illustrations to let me visualize it. It would be a nightmare to fabricate and compromises may have to be made, although as I get a little better a silver soldering, I may be able to tackle it. Of course I would still have to learn to land gently .

Let me know how I can help.

Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Wow, I guess that I'm not the only one with am eye for the Stirling. I was thinking all foam in the same manner as my smaller Wellington but at around a 2 meter span. Jeff-- that AMA plan might be just the thing. I'll have to look it up when I go inside later. If you happen to know the plan number that'd be dandy but don't go searching for it. I can do that later.

I'm out in the yard sweatin' and achin'. I'm building a 65' long 3' to 4' high fieldstone wall and I just finished the French drain that'll be in front of it. Goes from a foot and a half deep at the near end to almost two feet deep at the other. Gravel-pipe-gravel, with the trench lined with air/water permeable landscape cloth. If I get a couple of courses of fieldstone in before evening I can get some flying in. The battery in the Welly's been charged and waiting on me for a week. Ah well, all work and no play, etc...

Back on the Stirling-- Even at a larger size I plan on either removeable fixed gear or strictly handlaunch and belly land. I wonder if there are vacuformed parts available for the AMA plans?
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:18 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Mike,

You've got to do the Stirling, if for no other reason than having the only one at the flying field. In the words of the Cheese Whiz ad, "You know you waaaant it!"

Egging you on...

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:39 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,605 Posts
We must have been brothers in a former life. I am building a puppy-proof fence around a yard that is nothing but stones and tree roots. Half the time the auger is standing still and I am spinning. If you have been watching the oil spill, you know the weather conditions I'm working in. Not to mention the fact that I mowed Tuesday and the grass grows so fast I just finished mowing again this morning.

The real Hobson's choice is that the only calm is early morning, so if I fly I give up the cool part of the day and dig during the worst part.

But back to the Stirling. No plastic available that I am aware of. Semi-monocoque construction using 1/64" ply skins. Dunno why 74", Tony Nijhuis made his Lanc the same span. I would like to blow the plans up to 1/12, 99", don't know if it's feasible. Nice fat wing, low aspect ratio, pilots loved its maneuvrability. That's the same thing that killed it operationally, some of the war weary ones couldn't climb over the Alps, they had to fly through the passes. Flak bait.

The prototype had conventional British dual oleo gear, with 3.5 degrees ground incidence. In their infinite wisdom, the Air Ministry decided that the take-off run was too long for the current grass fields and demanded that the ground incidence be increased to 6.5 degrees. Short Bros already had so much invested in the fuse tooling that it was deemed impracticable to change the incidence at the fuse, so they took the existing gear, stuck it doors and all on a frame and then raised and lowered the frame on a trapeze. 55 seconds to cycle, 750 turns with a hand crank if the electric motors failed. Of course all totally unnecessary, like the stubby wing, once war broke out and the long concrete runways were built.

That's the long way of saying it would probably not look too terrible to use a conventional gear. Most folks won't even know what the plane is, much less how accurate the gear are.

You have a knack for whipping out obscure planes that look pretty cool. I'll be getting a vicarious thrill out of this one.

Jeff
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Excellent subject! I am currently reading a book by Murray Peden called "A Thousand Shall Fall". Murray was an RCAF pilot who flew ops on Stirlings and later on B-17's with the RAF. It is a fantastic book and well worth the read. His story telling ability can't be beat. Very poignant and at times so funny it almost makes you pee your pants. It follows his career right from enlistment, training, and operations. http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Shall.../dp/0773759670 Probably one of the best WW2 books I have read.

Good luck with the Stirling!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:02 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
My absolute favorite English bomber. If you find good plans, I WANT A COPY!
Marion
sweptside is offline Find More Posts by sweptside
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:49 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,916 Posts
I did a "Fun, stand a mile off scale" Stirling a while back. It was from all depron sheet.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,605 Posts
That's pretty cool D-Rock. You probably built it in the time I took trying to figure out how the gear worked. There's them what plan and them what do, you're much better at the doing.

Looks great on approach. Jeff
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
For a one-stop reference the Warpaint Stirling book is excellent. The paper version is out of print but it's available on CD from the publisher:
http://www.warpaint-books.com/

I'm don't know how they handled the large-format 1/72 drawings included in the book though.

There's also the old 1/72 Airfix plastic kit which you can pick up pretty cheap if you're prepared to shop around. It takes some effort to build into a nice model as it has the usual pox of huge rivets but as a reference for the shape of the thing it's quite good.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that if you search the Flight archive you'll find a great detail drawing of the undercarriage. The site is a bit clumsy to search but patience is almost always rewarded...
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

Do it! You'll have a really interesting and worthwhile model.

Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Great info and suggestions from all. As soon as I get my hands on some of the reference materials the foam dust will fly. I've been procrastinating on building a Lanc largely because of the twin rudders but in one of the recent issues of either Aeroplane or Flypast there was a Lanc article with small side view line drawings comparing the Lanaster, the Halifax and the Stirling. As soon as I saw it alongside my other two favorites I knew I'd have to build one (and it has conventional rudder!).

A little something interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxMmpjpCu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFIT...eature=related
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:15 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Isn't the Sunderland wing essentially the same? Plans for it are easy enough to find, so only the fuselage would require an entirely Stirling-specific plan.

It's the same deal with the Lancaster/Lancastrian/York, all using the same wing.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
The Stirling and Sunderland have a strong family resemblance but the Stirling wing was different.

You might get away with it though. I'll compare 3-views to see how close they are proportionally.
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41