HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:53 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
951 Posts
I agree, this is a great looking build you have on the go here! The new progress looks real good.
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post
I agree, this is a great looking build you have on the go here! The new progress looks real good.
Cheers
G-O
Thanks Umi and G-O! Even though I don't get much model work done over the summer....as I'm floating around on the 1:1 boat I'm always thinking "now how am I going to build this part"?. We'll see if all that day dreaming pays off now.
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Seriously this is amazing,, I would love to make my boat. I was contemplating possibly making it out of fiberglass as I thought wood would be impossible. You definitely proved me wrong.
Troy1967 is offline Find More Posts by Troy1967
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1967 View Post
Seriously this is amazing,, I would love to make my boat. I was contemplating possibly making it out of fiberglass as I thought wood would be impossible. You definitely proved me wrong.
Thanks Troy. What kind of boat do you have that you might model? It's handy to be able to turn around and put a ruler to the 1:1 boat when your making these things. I always start by drawing my own plans out...you can learn alot just by doing that!

Bob
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Hi Bob
I have a 18.5 foot LX Stingray. I am scratching my head looking at your pictures and looking at my boat trying to figure if I can do it or not. Going to start drawing and see if I can figure it out. Also scratching my head on the outdrive portion. I think... like you have done... is if I draw it out and I will be able to figure what size and what I can fit into it.
Again Amazing what you have done so far.

Just so you know this is the profile I have to use from work...Its still Troy
Sherry1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sherry1969
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry1969 View Post
Hi Bob
I have a 18.5 foot LX Stingray. I am scratching my head looking at your pictures and looking at my boat trying to figure if I can do it or not. Going to start drawing and see if I can figure it out. Also scratching my head on the outdrive portion. I think... like you have done... is if I draw it out and I will be able to figure what size and what I can fit into it.
Again Amazing what you have done so far.

Just so you know this is the profile I have to use from work...Its still Troy
I like to think anything is possible with enough effort put into it...here is a build log you should check out- built by G-O.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316597

Bob
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:41 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Slots for water pickups now in place.

I was able to draw and cut/file out the slots for the flush mounted water pick-ups. These look really nice on the bottom side of the hull. The hull planking is 1/16" and it just happens that the pick-ups have a 1/16" lip around them which made them fit flush with the outside of the hull. Not sure I will need to actually water cool the ESC or the motor, but as long as I have water pick-ups that will at least dump water out the exhaust....I can always use it for cooling something first if needed. I think I have all the needed holes poked through the hull now. If the weather can stay warm for a few more days I would sure like to get a few coats of epoxy resin over the whole project. Fingers crossed.

Bob
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:51 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Debating about motor placement-

My original thoughts, and still first choice for motor placement was to face it forward in the stern and build a small gear set that will tie the motor to the driveshaft through some universal joints. This is basically the setup for the 1:1 boat. The other thought I had the other day, what if I mount the motor up front and run a shaft supported by bearings under the floor of the model? It would need a universal from the propshaft to the drive shaft still, but would eliminate the need for a gearbox (unless I need to put in some gear reduction set). The main issue with both these possibilities is a tight fit. There just isn't much room to work with either way....thoughts I'm pondering.

The pics below show a general layout I am considering. The motor in the pictures is much bigger than the brushless outrunner I will be using.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,466 Posts
I think mounted in the stern with a gear or belt drive would work well in your configuration.
Graupner used to make a "multispeed" gear box motor set like like that.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
What about a flexible drive shaft like in a weed eater? That would save you space if you could find one small enough.

By the way.
Thanks for your idea on a source for scale mesh (the spatter guard), you saved me about $20.
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Still thinking of doing my boat and was also bashing around the motor Idea. was thinking this may work if the motor could be mounted on the same side as the shaft to fit under my rear cover. not sure if it would work would probably have to weight the nose down also.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=MCK2041-15
Sherry1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sherry1969
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_11th_guest View Post
What about a flexible drive shaft like in a weed eater? That would save you space if you could find one small enough.

By the way.
Thanks for your idea on a source for scale mesh (the spatter guard), you saved me about $20.
Flex cable may be an option....one concern is the upkeep needed. A solid shaft on bearings could be virtually maintenance free, but a flex shaft does have some advantages.
Glad the spatter shield worked for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry1969 View Post
Still thinking of doing my boat and was also bashing around the motor Idea. was thinking this may work if the motor could be mounted on the same side as the shaft to fit under my rear cover. not sure if it would work would probably have to weight the nose down also.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=MCK2041-15
I like those MACK gearboxes....but they are way too big to work in this boat. The gearbox I'm looking to build will only be maybe 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/2". I bought some R/C truck gears and brass stock to make it out of. I'll start with a 1:1 gear ratio and if the motor/prop combo doesn't like that...I'll build another gear box with a 1.5:1 or 2:1 reduction.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
Look for maxx gearbox, they do a 400 size offset box that could be adapted very easily
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
Decided it was about time to build a gear box for this thing. Nothing special, just making a brass box that will hold a couple of Losi gears I picked up at the LHS. Ratio will be 1:1 to start with. If the motor/prop don't like that, I'll build another one with a different gear ratio.

Also covered the inside of the boat with epoxy resin. Went pretty well although I don't think it flowed out as smooth as I thought it should. Posted a question about that here-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773339
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:05 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
804 Posts
More odds n ends

Some work happened over the Thanksgiving holiday. Continued to build the brass box that will hold the gear set. Cut up some sintra to make the sides and bottom of the 2 air vents that are under the window area. So now I have fully functioning air vents....what will I use them for? Not sure yet, but thought I might as well make them fully operational now instead of needing to hack them up later. Also started to add more features to the bow. Pics below show the story.

Bob