HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2007
223 Posts
Build Log
Fairey Delta 2 - in Depron.

In 1957 the Fairey Delta 2 held the world speed record at 1132mph. Quite a remarkable achievement for a relatively small aircraft company.
Name: FD2.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 170.6 KB
Description:
Always a research plane just 3 were built. (2 flew, 1 for structural testing)
A simple true delta with a circular section fuselage wrapped around an early after burning Avon jet.
The question I asked myself was using lightweight construction techniques in Depron could I make an the FD2 as an EDF with scale inlets and exhausts?
A look at a 3 view confirmed that the combined area of the inlets was actually as large as the restricted nozzle for supersonic flight so acceptable for an EDF.
Name: 3view.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 80.1 KB
Description:
The problem was of course the area was small so the fan was going to be too. For 32" span a scale jet exhaust would be 55mm diameter.
The EDF itself would be placed right at the back with no exhaust tube at all. This had the advantage that the entire inlet would be nearly 20% larger than the fan swept area with hopefully reduced ducting losses.
This was going to be a true monocoque structure with all the loads carried the Depron skin. This meant the wings would be actually be fixed directly onto the duct so the stresses in the wing skin were carried around the fuselage duct.
Name: WingFuse.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 30.3 KB
Description:
First I 'tidied up' the 3 view.
Name: 3Viewa.gif
Views: 39
Size: 15.6 KB
Description:
And then 'tile' printed each view out to the required size.

The wings are simple indeed. No ribs or spar just accurately sized Depron shear webs.
Name: ShearWebs.JPG
Views: 53
Size: 148.1 KB
Description:
The top skin is glued on 'free hand' to draw the two skins into a simple symmetrical (and very thin!) wing section. Good eyeball skills required to make sure it remains true and that both are identical.

The majority of the EDF duct is a simple 2mm Depron tube wrapped around a piece of gutter down pipe.
The wings are glued directly to the duct.
Name: WingOnDuct.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 106.2 KB
Description:
The two part fuselage formers are added. Each former position corresponding to a wing shear web.
Name: FuseFormers.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 170.7 KB
Description:
So far so good but was it really going to be possible to build (and fly!) an EDF made entirely out of 2mm Depron?
Quorneng is online now Find More Posts by Quorneng
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:14 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
This is exciting ! I built the Veron free flight ducted fan version back in the 60's. Powered by a .15 size diesel engine. It flew very well. It too was monocoque in designSince then I obtained from Phil Smith, the Veron designer, a new set of plans and patterns. He knew of nobody ever having installed an edf but it is a perfect candidate for a 50mm fan.

Hope your build is very successful and maybe it will stimulate me to finish my edf conversion. Keep the details coming.

An interesting fact that this Veron design is not available through one of today's Veron kit producers, as a laser cut short kit, is that the needle nose design of the FD-2 is considered to dangerous to sell as a commercial model kit !!!!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,902 Posts
Hey Quorneng,

Fascinating techniques on an interesting subject! I'm just finishing up my own first Depron build, and have been really impressed by the potential of the material. What glue are you using? As far as the Delta goes, I continue to be amazed at the number and variety of aircraft designs that came out of Britain until 30 years ago or so. Don't stop posting.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 29, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
223 Posts
The much harder bit is making the bifurcated inlets.
First the appropriate formers are added.
Name: Intake1.JPG
Views: 42
Size: 136.4 KB
Description:
With sufficient planking added to stabilise the structure duct is cut away to create the 'holes' for the bifurcated duct.
Name: Intake2.JPG
Views: 47
Size: 142.5 KB
Description:
To complete the duct the nose section is required. A former and plank structure built vertically.
Name: NoseStart.JPG
Size: 165.1 KB
Description:
Very delicate to start but get stronger as more planking is added. The cockpit is lined internally. It will contain the battery with the ESC. mounted behind.
Name: BatteryCmpt.JPG
Views: 50
Size: 164.3 KB
Description:
At this stage the long pointed nose is left off.
The tail cone is also built vertically.
Name: Tailcone1.JPG
Views: 38
Size: 152.2 KB
Description:
But as the internal duct tapers it is of a planked construction.
Name: Tailcone2.JPG
Size: 111.1 KB
Description:
The EDF itself is fixed to the end.
With the three sections joined together some of the external planking can be added to improve the overall rigidity.
Name: Elevon.JPG
Views: 67
Size: 154.4 KB
Description:
The electrics and cabling will have to installed before the external skin can be completed.
Note the huge size of the elevon.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:26 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,616 Posts
Wow, not just a cool subject, but very innovative construction techniques. Watching with interest. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:16 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Subbed
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
223 Posts
The electrics start ot go in.
The ESC is mounted flush with the top of the fuselage and is heavily finned.
Name: ESCmount2.JPG
Views: 45
Size: 227.4 KB
Description:
The radio and an elevon mixer unit are mounted between the duct and the skin.
Name: RadioMixer.JPG
Views: 43
Size: 223.8 KB
Description:
I could have used the 'elevon' function on the DX6i but I found that it severely limited the elevator travel. The mixer seemed to provide a much better compromise with a degree of over travel being used when the elevator and aileron were used together.
With the EDF right at the back the exhaust is the fan swept area (2242sqmm).
Name: Nozzle.JPG
Views: 52
Size: 187.9 KB
Description:
The inlet duct is considerably larger, averaging at least 4400sqmm. Overall this should mean lower duct losses than if the EDF was placed in the middle of the fuselage.

The wing is so thin that the 3.7g servos have to lie flush with the wing under surface.
Name: Servos.JPG
Size: 169.1 KB
Description:
With all the electrics installed and tested the skin can be completed.
Name: Skincmplt.JPG
Views: 59
Size: 180.0 KB
Description:

Light enough to be hand launched it just needs the right weather.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
upside down and inside out
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined May 2012
73 Posts
Very nice subject. My father in law had some role (not exactly sure what) in the development of this beast. So it's on my long list of planes to build one day.

I'll be watching this with interest.

I have one question though: How strong is your ducting? From looking at the pictures I'm somewhat concerned about the fan digesting everything in front of it - which is the whole plane, given the fan's position.
mrbump is offline Find More Posts by mrbump
Old Oct 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
223 Posts
mrbump
I can only say that although made of 2mm Depron it is in effect a tubular 'structure' with complete inner and out skins with closely spaced ribs.
Being built from the inside outwards all the glue joints can be made true and secure and as a result it is remarkably rigid.
In addition with its generous inlet duct area I would hope any negative pressures will be modest.
Finally it is only a cheap 55mm fan drawing 300W as a maximum!
With an 1800mAh 3s it weighs 19oz unpainted.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:40 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
Nice build -- it just looks right, bet it flies very well ! Now what color? Silver or Blue ? I think it was both Blue and Purple when it had the Concorde wing shape -- BAC 221.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:56 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
Oops, my mistake. You can also paint "Mauve" and white which is the color it had when going for the World Speed Record --- which it did achieve. So you have Natural, Royal Blue or Mauve. BAC 221 was only ever Pale Blue I believe.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined Feb 2007
223 Posts
Normally I maiden first and decorate after simply because the maiden can show up changes but in this case I painted first - Royal Blue.

Actually not an ideal colour over white Depron as it needed two coats to get anything like decent coverage although by careful masking the 'go faster' stripe and the border to the roundels could be left natural Depron.
Name: BluePaint3.JPG
Views: 46
Size: 177.5 KB
Description:
Completed with some simple vinyl decals.
Name: Complete.JPG
Views: 44
Size: 195.1 KB
Description:
It now weighs just a fraction over 20oz with 16oz static thrust with a modest wing loading of 8oz/sqft.

The maiden did not go too well. A short 3 seconds with almost no control that resulted in some damage.
A substantial split almost completely round the fuselage at the inlets.
Name: NoseSplit.JPG
Views: 46
Size: 244.1 KB
Description:
And a bend in that long nose!
Name: NoseBend.JPG
Views: 34
Size: 187.6 KB
Description:
I judged there were two issues.
1. The CofG was too far back. Not that surprising with a relatively small delta on such a long fuselage. The battery compartment was however big enough to move the battery to be moved forward by 1".
2. The huge one piece elevons were just too big making it just too sensitive in pitch. The original actually had separate elevator and ailerons so the surface was divided with the original ailerons becoming the elevons with the elevator portion being fixed with some modest reflex.
Fortunately I had accounted for this possibility and the servos in the wing were placed far enough out to allow for this.
Name: FixedElev.JPG
Views: 35
Size: 197.7 KB
Description:

Fully repaired it worked!
Depron Fairey Delta 2 EDF (3 min 19 sec)

Not the easiest thing to fly but it has plenty of power reserve and it glides nicely, however quiet it is not as like all these lightweight Depron builds the structure acts as a wonderful sounding board!
About its weakest point is the aerodynamic balance tips on the elevons get easily broken in the belly landing (the RH one did in the video!) with any degree of 'up' elevator applied.

In hindsight (and maybe a future modification) is to revert to the scale ailerons and elevators. It would have a small weight penalty (two extra servos) but it would also enable up elevator to be safely used on landing without risking the tips of the ailerons.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:14 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
I would most assuredly call that success, very nice. Remember you designed, built and flew, you didn't shake the box and out came an ARF. Now you have to fine tune it and you have a unique one-off model.

Next step is a 70mm version ! Again, well done sir.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:24 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,616 Posts
Congratulations Quorneng. Great job! You could do separate elevators with only a single extra servo. A U-shaped connector to link them and one servo to drive them. Anyway, nice work. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Feb 2007
223 Posts
Jeff
One servo?
It would need a substantial U shaped link (the elevators are 5" apart and it would have to pass right through the middle of the EDF duct creating drag.

Overall I suspect that using two (smaller?) servos would result in little extra penalty.