Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:14 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Aircore corostar

So here's the deal fellas I've got tbis corostar by aircore I'm sure most of the spad guys remember these The long and short of it is I want to add flaps to the wing for training myself to get use to using them and mixing them with the elevator.
I was told by someone I don't know it would be too expensive?
I'm not really certain how as I have tons of coroplast and servos as well as a radio to handle the mixing.
Can someone chime in here please .Thanks guys.
sgmxr6 is offline Find More Posts by sgmxr6
Last edited by sgmxr6; Dec 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:30 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,331 Posts
I am sure you can program it in on a computer radio. Flaperons? or spoilers? It certainly wouldn't be expensive if you have the right radio, you just have to figure it out, or ask someone who knows.(not me)
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:14 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Thanks airspeed I can do flaperons I'm just not sure if I can dial them in mid flight.That's why I wanted to just add them to the plane.I have measured my area where the flaps shoul be and I have several inches to work with.I will put a picture of the unbuilt wing half up so you can see it.
Last edited by sgmxr6; Dec 09, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:16 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:17 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:23 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
If you look closely I marked the wing wrap line onto the wing.From there to tbe aileron is 8 1/2 inches I was thinking maybe a 6 inch flap?
I don't know if I will be upsetting anything or if just cutting out The wing similar to the aaileron will be ok.
Its not the process of building it thats the issue its my lack of aerodynamic knowledge.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:16 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,331 Posts
I would just do it in one piece, and program in the flaps. I have never done that though so maybe someone else could chime in.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:42 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
But with flaperons don't you lose all your aileron control ?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 06:50 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmxr6 View Post
But with flaperons don't you lose all your aileron control ?
I've been doing some experimenting with flaps on correx planes. I personally don't like flaperons - while you don't lose all aileron control, my experience is that you definitely lose some at full flap extension. Given that, for the small cost of one extra servo, you can have independent flaps, my view is that normal (independent) flaps are the better option.

I'd make the flaps the full span of the gap between the doubler and the existing ailerons (i.e. just leave a ~2mm gap so that there is no binding). Have the flaps set up to use the same hinge line as the ailerons - this way the airfoil profile will remain the same across the wing.

See attached pics of the flaps on two of my wings - should be clearer than the description above. In both cases the flaps really help landing performance

BTW, not quite sure what you mean by 'mixing them with the elevator' unless you are referring to an elevator mix to compensate for any nose up/down pitch that could accompany flap deployment
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Thanks Extreme,
Very nice mustang really scaled nicely best example Ive seen.!
Last edited by sgmxr6; Dec 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM.