HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2013, 08:44 PM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
Discussion
Ares Taylorcraft 130

Found this on the Ares RC site. I think this is one of the prettiest micro trainer/high wing planes I have seen, and the upgrade options are cool.

http://ares-rc.com/taylorcraft130/
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2013, 08:48 PM
Frozen Fingers
United States, VT, Morristown
Joined Nov 2012
213 Posts
Looks nice. Moving in on the Champs territory and making the upgrades to it that we all dreamed about for it at one time or another.
strokeracevt is offline Find More Posts by strokeracevt
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:08 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
The plane actually looks pretty nice. Plus there are a lot of innovative features on that aircraft such as the ability to add a brushless setup and 4 channel control.

However, they need to reconsider their transmitter selection. While I'm sure a 'full-size' transmitter is not necessary for that type of model, personally I'd be a lot more interested if one was available.

Don
Digital Don is online now Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:17 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,246 Posts
Heard about this one from my LHS a couple weeks ago, said to be a Champ killer. We'll see how that works out. Upgrade options look to be what most new flyers would want after mastering the basics and ready to start the aileron training without going to a larger model or second plane. Nice looking too.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
This actually looks pretty cool especially for a general aviation type of person like myself.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:03 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Looks really great, especially with all the options BUT! I'm totally done with collecting transmitters. I just gave away most of my stuff that flies with non-DSM2 transmitters. I have three Spektrum Tx's and I'll probably stick all my aircraft on the DX18 eventually.

I couldn't even carry all my gear and I'm not going back to being a transmitter collector or even a module collector.

If it looks like an easy job to stick a Spektrum Rx in I'll do it. I've always liked the Taylorcraft but no go if I can't have it my way.

Pete the Grouch
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Sep 27, 2013, 09:48 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
Looks interesting but I've had mixed experiences with Ares: really like their micro quad (though it and nothing else can compete with the Blade nano) and really hated their micro Tiger Moth. Wonder what motor this has? it's a LOT heavier than a stock Champ at 54 gms but has essentially the same wing area; thus higher wing loading and higher stall speed. Not sure that's a good idea for a "Champ beater" (Horizon's own Duet may well be that anyway). The upgrade path is a bright idea, but it's going to be very fast and heavy with that package (likely faster than a Horizon Spitfire or P-51 by quite a bit) and perhaps too much of a step up for many, if not most, folks who start with this plane. Plus, we don't know the price point yet but I'll wager it'll be more than the Champ......
speakertoanimals is offline Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
Old Oct 06, 2013, 11:33 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Ares website showing $84.99....we'll see when it's released
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
United States, MA, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
477 Posts
My Champ weighs 60 grams and I can still loop and roll it and it still lands fairly slow so I think the Tcraft should be ok at 54 grams.
I just wonder how they'll set up the brushless motor etc.with a 2s with a receiver that's 1s?
I have a nice AS3X 1s receiver I'd like to put in one of these especially with the brushless and ailerons.
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Photos of pre-production birds on display in Las Vegas!!!

Hey all,

Got back from Las Vegas Ace in the Hole 2013 last night, and had an opportunity to meet the designer of this little gem, Jason M. He had two of them with him for demo purposes, and although I didn't get to fly it, I did get to handle it extensively and take the cowl off, wings off, etc. Everything is held on by magnets...very innovative and makes servicing the model a snap!

Jason demo'd both the 3 channel and 4 channel versions and let me tell you, this thing's just plain awesome ! I'm usually not a big fan of UMX models, but the scale outline and paint scheme on this one are just outstanding. I was able to stand with him in the pilot's box while he put the 3 channel model through it's paces....and very scale paces at that, I might add. This thing flys wonderfully

I promptly stopped by the local Hobbytown off Sahara avenue and placed my early order. The official word is they're about two weeks out.....

Enjoy the pics
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Oct 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:18 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Hey all,

...I promptly stopped by the local Hobbytown off Sahara avenue and placed my early order. The official word is they're about two weeks out.....

Enjoy the pics
John
John, I believe you have a Carbon Cub. Since you saw a demo, how do you think the Ares Taylorcraft compares to the Cub? Thanks.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Had a CC, Dave....was a victim of the well documented gremlins plaguing the V1 model...had the elevator servo lock-up twice...the second one did the model in and I was so disgusted with it I didn't buy another. BUT.....when it was flying, it flew pretty good, and was a blast to fly. Probably why I was so upset when it crashed. If I stuff a plane, okay, I got it. When a model crashes because of equipment failure, I get stupid angry

This little Taylorcraft is a stunning model in person; very, very innovative in the way the cowl is held on, wings, l/g, (what appear to be Rare-Earth magnets), and the finish is superb. I had the opportunity to see the model being flown by the designer himself, and you could tell he enjoyed his creation. It flew in a very scale manner, and slowed down so much I thought it would drop out of the sky....it didn't ! This little thing just floated around, very stable, and ooozed cool while doing it

It looks like it'll be the perfect little parkflyer for those calm evenings after work. Although the demo model only had the brushed, 1 cell set-up, it appeared to have plenty of power to be flown in a slightly better than scale manner...but not much more. I'm buying one just because it'll be fun to putt-putt around the park with it's knock-out scale lines....but I'm not looking for a barn-burner. Frankly, the CC wasn't one either as the AS3X always seemed to be "fighting" me while trying to perform aileron rolls, loops, etc.

I hope this helps,
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Oct 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:22 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Thanks much, John. I really appreciate it. Good summary of what I was kind of expecting. Sorry to hear about your Carbon Cub. I've shied away from it because of experiences like yours.

I'm a sucker for classic looking aircraft and the Taylorcraft is a beauty. Yes, yes, it looks perfect for when I want a UM for cruising around on a calm morning or evening. I still break out my little T-28 for those occasions (Horizon really nailed that plane for sweet flying, along with the Champ) and the Taylorcraft looks like it would be a nice addition to my fleet.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Nov 01, 2013, 03:32 PM
United States, MA, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
477 Posts
I have Comet 54 inch wing span Tcraft i am finishing in exactly the same color which is correct for a full scale Tcraft. Cost me $12 to get the correct color paint.
I have to have one of these little ones too.
Anyone know an exact date they will be a available?
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:31 PM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
Just visited my local Hobbytown (Baltimore MD) - it was delivered yesterday. RTF version is $99.99. This plane is very nice looking and appears to be well built.The magnets hold the wing and cowl very firmly. Visual appearances alone, this bird is quite an impressive eye catcher. The Tx was not as impressive and appears to be small, almost toy like. The optional aileron wing was not at the store but will be apparently shipping in the near future. Considering this for a next purchase but will most likely wait for Santa
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl