HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:00 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
788 Posts
Completed the N-struts and installed the missing RC-components: battery, RX, satellite RX, telemetry. Now the plane is basically ready for maiden.

Time for a weight check: 3257 grams including pilot and battery (4500mhA, 4S). This results to 0.5625 g / (cm^2) =
18.43 oz / sqft - sounds not too bad to me.

I did only a very rough CG check - looks alright, too.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Last edited by gupi; Aug 17, 2014 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Added wing loading
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:21 AM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
She is looking very nice indeed. I hope the maiden goes OK for you and you capture some pictures and video's for us to view.

I am just covering my wings with fabric at the moment so hope to have everything finalised in a week or so.

Nigel
mR JoLLy is offline Find More Posts by mR JoLLy
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:59 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,063 Posts
Hi Gupi

Good luck with the maiden.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:27 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,733 Posts
Nice work Gupi - you now have officially more detail than my prototype I had always meant to add the sub-wing fasteners but I forgot......
Your weight is only marginally more than mine and it almost floats!
Best of luck with your first flights - just be sure the balance is good.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:08 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
788 Posts
Thanks guys!

Pat: I'm very relieved that the weight turned out alright. I was really fearing that adding details after details - I got carried away - would turn this nice bird into a lead sled. I think I could loose some weight by making the pilot lighter if needed. Currently he weighs in at 200 grams since he's a fully posable action figure.
Last edited by gupi; Aug 18, 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:59 AM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
If you are within the weight for the build I would not bother altering anything.

Funny you should quote a weight of 3.2Kg for the model. My top wing on it's own is racing towards 3.5Kg, with an AUW expected in the 24Kg area. Basically twice the size what you have built. I know the GTM model flies well from reports I have seen so you really have nothing to worry about me thinks !

Nigel
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:51 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
788 Posts
Nigel,

You have to know that all of my previous builds were conversions of free flight models. This is my very first build this big. So the pilot here weighs as much as a whole plane in the previous builds.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
LOL well you have done a sterling job and in particular your interpretation of the artwork. You (like me) traced the original artwork from pictures while others simplified the artwork from model kits. Most impressive workmanship at that scale indeed.

I'll dig a picture out of mine when I have finished covering the wings. I will be running the fabric over the upper surfaces later this week and hitting them with dope at the weekend!

Later . . . .
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
788 Posts
Since there's no opportunity for a maiden in sight i've continued with finishing touches such as:

- Added the Balkenkreuze (crosses). The national markings were printed on tissue and glued onto the wings using glue stick. Then an additional coat of dope seals the whole thing.

- Added gun hole patches on lower side of the top wing and the starboard side of the rudder. The holes were patched with little French roundels like the one in the fuselage right within the starboard side "Schwaben" artwork.

- Weathered the tail surfaces, tail area of the fuselage and the sub wing.

- Added the "lift here" instructions by hand.

- Added dummy aileron cables that are just glued to the top of the backmost cabane struts. This allows for easy wing removal and satisfies TLAR principles.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
Bipes Rule!
United States, LA, Pearl River
Joined Feb 2006
319 Posts
Wow again every time I look at this D-VII I wish it was mine or my details looked as cool as yours. I also was a little delayed on my maiden so kept adding more details. What's the hold up on flying this Museum Fokker?
RM
RITTMEISTER is offline Find More Posts by RITTMEISTER
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,384 Posts
Looked great before, but is just getting better and better!!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,063 Posts
Hey Gupi. Looks really nice. Sorry the weather has not been cooperative. The same thing happened to me. My Dr1 was ready and then it rained the whole week.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
788 Posts
Thanks a lot!

Sean is right - the weather forecast is predicting too much wind for the weekend. And it was windy the whole week already. I don't think I want to maiden this bird in something other than dead calm, I'm nervous enough already.
Old Today, 05:28 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,035 Posts
You spilled a little fuel there when topping off the tank!! - Wonderful build - fantastic finish - little details like the Fokker screws on the cowl - wow -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member