HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Question
Filling rigid dirigibles?

Quick question: looking around, I've seen a few models of what appear to be rigid dirigibles. How exactly are those filled with lifting gas? Are there individual gas bladders inside the structure that can be deflated, or is the entire 'envelope' used to hold gas, and if so, how do you let the oxygen out in order to let the helium in? Thanks!
twmiller is offline Find More Posts by twmiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Concerning my own rigids, my R-100 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=r+100) had a single internal bag which was filled thru a tube at the tail cone. This of course means the rings can have no internal bracing.

I have since built a model LZ5, which was described in website airshipmodeler.com, now apparently defunct. It had no internal bags, using the outer covering as the gas membrane. It was filled by lifting it to a nose down position, and introducing helium into the tail end. The air flowed out thru a larger hole near the nose. After about twice the volume had been put thru, it was light enough to lift. After 3 times the volume, it was virtually pure He inside. Then the nose hole was taped up. The greatest problem with this design is sealing the outer cover at all the seams and penetrations for struts, bracing wires, etc.
Alan Sherwood is offline Find More Posts by Alan Sherwood
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:31 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,333 Posts
That R-100 is a work of art.

The shape/proportions look absolutely perfect.

An interesting and great choice to model!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem