HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Alard, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alard View Post
Papabear639,
That covering job is boss. What's it covered with?
thank you very much! i really love the way it turned out...wally is a master at covering...its covered in monokote transparent orange and black.
papabear639 is offline Find More Posts by papabear639
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
"revived" Deadbeat II
San Clemente
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
My Wanderer

I always have 2 kits on standby have had one since the 70's, one of my favorite planes
av8rlew is offline Find More Posts by av8rlew
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Nov 2002
178 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
An easy performance mod to the Wanderer while building is to add 1/8" sq. turbulator spars at highpoint of the airfoil and another between highpoint and the L/E. Removes that covering sag between ribs and greatly improves the climbing and low speed handling characteristics.
Capn Crunchie is online now Find More Posts by Capn Crunchie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:53 PM
Canada, BC, Fort St. John
Joined Jan 2011
162 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
when i saw this ad i got really excited i spent lots of time when i was a kid building this plane went with my parents up to the cove in Palos Verdes CA and maidened her one lap and off went the tail and strait into the middle of the cove vertically into the beach nothing left!!! didn't fly again till 4 years ago something like 35 years:
fliteline dave is offline Find More Posts by fliteline dave
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Apr 2005
381 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Crunchie View Post
An easy performance mod to the Wanderer while building is to add 1/8" sq. turbulator spars at highpoint of the airfoil and another between highpoint and the L/E. Removes that covering sag between ribs and greatly improves the climbing and low speed handling characteristics.
Always thought about adding turbulator spars to my Wanderer when recovering the wing. Friend's Drifter II with its turbulator spars was usually the better floater when compared to my Wanderer. Thanks, Capn Crunchie, for mentioning your success with the turbulators.

And thank you, Alard, for keeping this thread open!

BTW, a partially built Wanderer kit listed a couple of years ago on eBay in the pix below, included the box which I had never seen prior to that auction, probably the last run of Wanderer kits before Tower/Great Planes/Dynaflite quit producing them.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
357 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
That fuse looks strange...is this a rare photo of the infamous hardwood Wanderer?
Speed37 is online now Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:04 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,459 Posts
Trader Rating: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer View Post
Always thought about adding turbulator spars to my Wanderer when recovering the wing. Friend's Drifter II with its turbulator spars was usually the better floater when compared to my Wanderer. Thanks, Capn Crunchie, for mentioning your success with the turbulators.

And thank you, Alard, for keeping this thread open!

BTW, a partially built Wanderer kit listed a couple of years ago on eBay in the pix below, included the box which I had never seen prior to that auction, probably the last run of Wanderer kits before Tower/Great Planes/Dynaflite quit producing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed37 View Post
That fuse looks strange...is this a rare photo of the infamous hardwood Wanderer?
HAHA! If you guys want better pics of that fuse, let me know. I won that auction and the fuse is hardwood, with Wood panelling sides, and it is screwed together. The rest of the box had misc. pieces, not enough to build 1/2 a Wanderer.

HIR, I think you are correct in the assumption that the box in the picture is one of, if not the last run of the Wanderer before it left production.

I should take some pics and post them for you guys

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliteline dave View Post
when i saw this ad i got really excited i spent lots of time when i was a kid building this plane went with my parents up to the cove in Palos Verdes CA and maidened her one lap and off went the tail and strait into the middle of the cove vertically into the beach nothing left!!! didn't fly again till 4 years ago something like 35 years:
I have to say, that is kind of a sad story, glad you did come back to the hobby.

Chip
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:10 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rlew View Post
I always have 2 kits on standby have had one since the 70's, one of my favorite planes
That one looks just like my dad's, except his has the Duralene Fuse (it is white also). Still sitting in his rafters, waiting for someone to fly her.

Chip
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,445 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
HAHA! If you guys want better pics of that fuse, let me know. I won that auction and the fuse is hardwood, with Wood panelling sides, and it is screwed together. The rest of the box had misc. pieces, not enough to build 1/2 a Wanderer.

Chip
Chip, you have got to post a picture of that fuse; we could all use a laugh!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread