HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I had a 1968 Bultaco Matador ISDT replica trials bike. I was a lousy rider but it made me look like a genius. I ran the thing off the top of a 10' seawall that I didn't see because of the high sun angle. The bike was going about 10 mph, dropped off front wheel down. My only thought was "this is gonna hurt" but the front shocks compressed, the bike set the rear wheel down just like I planned it that way and it sneered at me "hit the gas already, why's your jaw dragging on the ground?" It was a truly amazing bike when bikes weren't too amazing as a whole.

Folks, check out this webpage for the Ares Gamma 370. Steerable tail wheel, larger than a Champ, lighter than a Super Cub, optional use prop saver included, Pro aileron wing available separately to convert to 4-channel when you are ready.......unless they TOTALLY blow the marketing angle, here's your new #1 unassisted newbie trainer plane.
Is that pronounced bull taco?

And yeah, I've flown that Gamma a couple times, and I was almost jumping up and down with how great it was. In the 3-channel configuration it tracks perfectly - very surprising!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
Wow, a Matador, 360 I believe it was. A friend of mine's family owned a Bultaco dealer back in the day and he had the Matador, talk about torque in that engine.........amazine.

Yeah, the Gamma 370 is an amazing plane at an amazing price point. I think Hobby Town (Ares) really did their homework on this one. I am planning on passing mine down to my brother and getting theGamma 370 Pro for a Christmas present.!!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Last edited by chucksolo69; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Is that pronounced bull taco?
Absolutely! The Spanish didn't have really great marketing guys then and probably missed the connection entirely. And strangely enough, I don't recall anyone making fun of them that way. I had a friend who called it a Cowtaco, but I'm not sure he made the "taco" connection.

Heck, in those days the Taco Bell menu board had a pronunciation guide and description of just what a taco was. People overwhelmingly didn't know! Can you imagine that? It's a different world now.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Bultaco

Apologies for being off topic....but I had a Metralla 250 Mk.2. Bultaco advertising called it "The Racer you can run on the street". As a matter of fact, you could get a factory race kit for the Metralla (tuned pipe, hi-comp head, big carb). I got this and raced locally, pretending I was Mike Hailwood...

Many, many, years later I thought I'd find another Metralla to restore. Not easy to find as they were mostly all crashed to death (like my original). I did find one and fixed it up proper. Strangely though when I rode it for the first time, it seemed so tame and boring. I sold it to a guy in California.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Absolutely! The Spanish didn't have really great marketing guys then and probably missed the connection entirely. And strangely enough, I don't recall anyone making fun of them that way. I had a friend who called it a Cowtaco, but I'm not sure he made the "taco" connection.

Heck, in those days the Taco Bell menu board had a pronunciation guide and description of just what a taco was. People overwhelmingly didn't know! Can you imagine that? It's a different world now.
Yeah I can't believe I learned German... absolutely no reason for that when you live here. Shoulda learned Spanish or Chinese.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
I am fluent in Spanish and was forced to take German in high school. Took it 4 years straight. I am only limited by my lack of vocabulary in nouns. I can conjugate with the best of them. Ja, Ich kann ein bischen Deutsch.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,855 Posts
I'm a little late on this one, but have to ask a stupid question. Were you trying to fly 4 channel planes with only 3 channels? Just have to ask, because 3 channel planes should be real easy to fly.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
Well, there are 3 channel planes and then there ARE 3 channel planes. Most trainer 3 channel planes use throttle, elevator, and rudder. The rudder is used as the primary direction changing surface on these, others use throttle, elevator and aileron, no rudder at all. The 3 channel trainers are pretty easy to fly with the rudder on the right stick as the direction stick. This is the method used by the Hobbyzone Champ, Super Cub and Firebird Stratos. I have seen cheap warbirds for sale that use only the throttle, elevator and ailerons. These are usually not trainers and can be difficult to fly, especially during takeoff and landing.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
You're most likely not getting correct response from the sim. Especially if when flying a 3ch the rudder is on the left stick. In the REAL world 3ch planes are flown with the rudder on the right stick, where a 4ch has the aileron. THINK MAIN TURNING DEVICE, not rudder vs ailerons. You always want the main turning device on the same stick as the elevator, for co-ordination reasons.
As in turning a plane always results in a lose of altitude IF up elevator pressure is not applied to keep the nose level... Just like in a real plane...Having the turning and elevator on the same stick makes it a snap to accomplish after a little practice..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
Absolutely correct rtbates.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,028 Posts
You know, it's amazing that we still see toy grade 3-channel planes with the rudder and elevator on different sticks.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You're most likely not getting correct response from the sim. Especially if when flying a 3ch the rudder is on the left stick. In the REAL world 3ch planes are flown with the rudder on the right stick, where a 4ch has the aileron. THINK MAIN TURNING DEVICE, not rudder vs ailerons. You always want the main turning device on the same stick as the elevator, for co-ordination reasons.
As in turning a plane always results in a lose of altitude IF up elevator pressure is not applied to keep the nose level... Just like in a real plane...Having the turning and elevator on the same stick makes it a snap to accomplish after a little practice..
Only according to Mode 2 ...............

Funny that PRECISION flying usually means the guys flying MODE 1 .... where the main controls ELEVATOR and AILERON are separated so you don't have interaction by slight offset of stick when moving it. You only have to compare the number of Champion RC Aerobatic Mode 1 to Mode 2 .....

I fly Mode 2 ..... but having known, observed and spoken to various champs over the years ....

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife