HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
17 Posts
I too am rather new to IMAC. 3D was never my cup of tea, I was always fascinated by F3A (pattern) flying. To me it seemed like a ballet in the air.
Last year I built my first gasser, pilot Sbach with DLE 30. Then started to read up on how to set it up. IMHO following are a few points;
*IMAC is the precision flying on scale aerobatic plane, which should not deviate more than 10% from original ones.
*setup calls for a 'neutral tendency' in any given attitude.
*absolute meticulous linkage geometry.
*servo arm travel from one extreme to other should mechanically result in about 11* of up & down in elev and aile. Rudd should have about 16-20*. Now this is done at max ATVs. The idea is to spread the entire range of gimbel movement in those 20* (10 up & 10 down) of elev deflection, this results in stepless deflection of control surface.
*last but not the least one has to trim the plane (trim sheet available on various sites). There are perhaps dozen various steps one has to go over patiently, and at times go over & over again..... no short cuts there.
Thing like CoG, role coupling, various mixings, aile diff etc are fine tuned.

In short any scale aerobatic plane can be tuned/setup for IMAC. Of course once the plane is properly dialed in for neutral tendency, one can practice the routine with a caller. It's good idea to keep practicing one move before trying the next one, later they can be stringed together.

BTW I did win a first position in IMAC basic, held in Lahore (Pakistan) in Nov 2012.
riz1963 is offline Find More Posts by riz1963
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2013, 04:25 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riz1963 View Post
I too am rather new to IMAC. 3D was never my cup of tea, I was always fascinated by F3A (pattern) flying. To me it seemed like a ballet in the air.
Last year I built my first gasser, pilot Sbach with DLE 30. Then started to read up on how to set it up. IMHO following are a few points;
*IMAC is the precision flying on scale aerobatic plane, which should not deviate more than 10% from original ones.
*setup calls for a 'neutral tendency' in any given attitude.
*absolute meticulous linkage geometry.
*servo arm travel from one extreme to other should mechanically result in about 11* of up & down in elev and aile. Rudd should have about 16-20*. Now this is done at max ATVs. The idea is to spread the entire range of gimbel movement in those 20* (10 up & 10 down) of elev deflection, this results in stepless deflection of control surface.
*last but not the least one has to trim the plane (trim sheet available on various sites). There are perhaps dozen various steps one has to go over patiently, and at times go over & over again..... no short cuts there.
Thing like CoG, role coupling, various mixings, aile diff etc are fine tuned.

In short any scale aerobatic plane can be tuned/setup for IMAC. Of course once the plane is properly dialed in for neutral tendency, one can practice the routine with a caller. It's good idea to keep practicing one move before trying the next one, later they can be stringed together.

BTW I did win a first position in IMAC basic, held in Lahore (Pakistan) in Nov 2012.
Great post. Where did you find out about these points esp. setting up the linkages?

Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:49 AM
Fly low, go fast
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I've been reading up on what IMAC is and I had a good idea what it was but after going to the IMAC site last night and reading more into IMAC basic....I'm wanting to get started. I've been flying for a few years and want more of a purpose for flying other than the enjoyment of the hobby and flying. I'm currently building my first gasser a 30cc 3DHS AJ Slick. I like the 3D stuff but have more of a interest in IMAC. Will this be a good air frame to get started in IMAC or is there another air frame that would be better to start out with? One of the air frames I've been looking at is the AW 30cc Edge 540. My goal is to maybe build a 50cc plane next maybe this winter of next year sometime. I posted this same thread over on FG to get additional feedback. Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
3 words Performance Aircraft Unlimited. For a 50cc, awesome airplanes. I like the 300sp the best, tracks and flys awesome
Tarheel hal is offline Find More Posts by Tarheel hal
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:04 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
Upcoming events for the Southwest Region include

Fresno IMAC and Freestyle 06/07/14 Fresno CA USA
LAMA CO IMAC 06/07/14 Dacono, Colorado USA
Lodi West Coast Aerobatic Challenge 06/21/14 Lodi, CA USA
North Valley Scale Aerobatics IMAC 08/02/14 Davis, CA USA
Mile Hi IMAC Challenge 2014 08/02/14 Strasburg, Colorado USA
Salinas IMAC II 09/13/14 Salinas , CA USA
Viva Las Vegas IMAC 10/25/14 Las Vegas, NV USA
Best of the West Shootout at Felix Ranch 11/15/14 Florence, Az USA

Plenty of opportunities to come out and experience IMAC if you are in the Southwest!

Flyracer
IMAC#7270
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Jun 04, 2014, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2011
281 Posts
Flyracer, thanks for posting the schedule. I may try to make one or two of those myself. That is if the CD can overlook my opaque canopy LOL. I would also like to add that ANY airplane can be entered into the IMAC basic class so if anyone wants to give IMAC a try but thinks they don't have an appropriate airplane don't worry, bring your trainer if you wish. FLyracer, I am currently on a mobile device and cut and paste is a PITA, can I ask you to post the basic sequence and score sheet? Maybe this will stir some interest and questions?
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Jun 05, 2014, 07:13 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
Attached is the BASIC Sequence
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:49 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
Upcoming events for the Southwest Region include

Fresno IMAC and Freestyle 06/07/14 Fresno CA USA

Plenty of opportunities to come out and experience IMAC if you are in the Southwest!

Flyracer
IMAC#7270
Congrats on your 1st place finish in the 8 pilot Basic class!!
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
281 Posts
A couple buddies of mine are going to be putting on a contest in Woodland Ca. In mid August. I plan to hit that one for sure. Will be test hopping this bad boy next week after 2 years of getting it into shape. The airplane was basically saved out of a dumpster by another buddy of mine that promptly drove it to me.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Hi Dean,

It was good to meet you in Fresno. Congrats on your win; great flying!

I posted all the pictures from the event here:
https://www.facebook.com/imacsouthwest

Bob Mixon
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:14 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
Congrats on your 1st place finish in the 8 pilot Basic class!!
Thanks Dean.... the NorCal pilots are a good group of people and I sure enjoyed flying with them! the win did not come easy!

And congrats on your 1st place as well ;-)

Jacques
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:02 AM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,377 Posts
I've upgraded to a second hand Hangar 9 Extra 260. From what I can see it is unflown and I will be treating it as new. It is fitted with a CTTC Pro / Thor 45cc which looks like it is hardly run-in at all. I'll treat it as new.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:51 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
Wing span
Post some pics! You plan to compete with the newly acquired airframe Yes?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:01 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmixon View Post
Hi Dean,

It was good to meet you in Fresno. Congrats on your win; great flying!

I posted all the pictures from the event here:
https://www.facebook.com/imacsouthwest

Bob Mixon
Thanks for all the pictures Bob. And congratulations on earning a trophy in a great Basic class!!
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird