HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Discussion
The next plane after a hi-wing trainer.

I can fly a trainer very well. I have trouble flying a low wind plane. I'm looking at a Sig mid star kit as a next plane. What would you recommend as a second plane? Kit or a ARF is okay.
weswanson is offline Find More Posts by weswanson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
As I look into this post I see lots of ideas. Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
I have said it many times before and I am going to say it again. Sig 4 Star 40. The regulars of the forum are going to get sick of me saying that. I have alot of hours already on mine and I haven't even had it a year. Great plane, super easy to build, oh and cheap too.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
I have said it many times before and I am going to say it again. Sig 4 Star 40. The regulars of the forum are going to get sick of me saying that. I have alot of hours already on mine and I haven't even had it a year. Great plane, super easy to build, oh and cheap too.
I'll get this kit. Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
You will love it. Grab all of your glue and other building supplies along with the kit to save on shipping and so you can get building right away.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weswanson View Post
I can fly a trainer very well. I have trouble flying a low wind plane. I'm looking at a Sig mid star kit as a next plane. What would you recommend as a second plane? Kit or a ARF is okay.
The four-star 40 looks like a good second plane, but didn't you say you have a hard time with low wing planes?
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,170 Posts
I wonder if you are ready for a second airplane if you have trouble with a low wing airplane. What kind of trouble?
Do you have an instructor or fly with other pilots? If so, do they think you're ready for a second airplane?
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
Does he mean he has a problem flying planes that can't handle wind, like he doesn't like them? Well he has a few months at least to fly his trainer untill he gets the plane built.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:07 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
993 Posts
Probably best to transition from a high winged plane to a shoulder wing as an intermediate step to a mid wing or a low wing. Sig has its Kavalier and its Mid Star 40 as an example, but one is a kit the other is an ARF. And of course, there are many versions of the venerable "Ugly Stick" to consider. And best to consider a tricycle gear which is easier to take off with than a tail dragger.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
super sportster, Tiger II, full wing 4 star 40. 4*40's really don't hot rod till you clip the wing, but as a second plane the full wing tames them down. once you're no longer a beginner you can just saw off the last bay on each wing at the rib & repair the covering.

forget trikes. get use to normal gear now. few interesting prop planes are trikes. just roll in & out of throttle & rudder. nothing to it.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, CA, Corning
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
My second plane was an Escapade 40 ARF. Its a low wing trainer. A .46 is plenty of power for it. On low rates its tame and easy to handle. On high rates it's pretty sporty.
DWayneN is offline Find More Posts by DWayneN
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
My second plane years ago was a Lanier .40 size low wing trainer, I can't even remeber the actual name of it all I know was the fuselage was completely plastic and the wind was foam covered in plastic.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
Four Star! I have a 120 and wonderful flying plane, slows down to a crawl, and give plenty of warning before a full stall. It is a tail dragger, so if you never flew one, learn rudder before you do or your take offs will be ugly.

Two Thumbs up on the 4*. I like mine so much going to get a 40 to put a 52 FS on for flying on smaller fields.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:25 PM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
I fly alone, and I am learning alone. I belong to a club but no one ever flies there. The next club is 60 miles away. I can take off and land good. I just have eye-hand issues. I need more practice. I read and then go and fly.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
If it's the wind your having a problem with get a twist. They fly very good in the wind
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50