HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:06 AM
2 NECKS ARE BETTER THAN 1
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2012
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
I get pretty good life out of rechargeable AA batteries. However, removing the battery cage to recharge them is a p.i.t.a., and I usually need to use a pair of pliers just to get the little JST plug disconnected. It's super-tight, and I'm afraid of yanking the wires out. Terrible design, putting the plug where the average adult can't fit their fingers around it.
I know what you mean! I have very thinck fingers so it's even worse for me. Do you know what kind of cable you need to charge the batteries using the Devo 7E? I see the port, but dunno what to plug in there.

Lard4Hire
Lard4Hire is offline Find More Posts by Lard4Hire
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
The little text next to the port should give a hint. It wants a 8-12V DC power supply.
I used one from a usb harddrive.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
The little text next to the port should give a hint. It wants a 8-12V DC power supply.
I used one from a usb harddrive.
What's the voltage reading while charging? Should be around 13.5V.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
What's the voltage reading while charging? Should be around 13.5V.
Holy batman overcharge , the devo 7e ony swallows 4xAA so 5.4V fully charged . They charge at 6V with the charger connected. And as the battery charger isnt fast the batterys never get warm. So i actually trust it and dare leave the charger connected overnight.

Takes some effort to screw up a slow nimi charger.

Downside is that 4*2700 mah take forever to charge inside the tx. So i have a set spare with a external slwo charger just incase.
Last edited by Xermalk; Feb 17, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:41 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Holy batman overcharge
Actually NO. When charging NiMH a higher voltage is applied. For a 8 cell pack fully charged at about 11.58V you will have a voltage of around 12.6 while charging.

I take it you don't have a computerized charger yet?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:06 AM
Caution: Noob in training
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard4Hire View Post
I would love to use them on my iMax charger
Just been searching around and it appears that the iMax B6 can in fact charge NiMH, I assume in series from the sound of it but haven't found an exact guide. As such, I'd guess you should be able to keep the NiMH in the 7E's battery cage and figure out how it's to be connected, there's mention of JST connectors so it may well be a direct plug in.
Just google "iMax B6 NiMH" and you should eventually find out how to do it. Sounds like it can do up to 1Amp charge, apparently auto-detects what charge rate it should be using for your particular NiMH.

sbstnp, the 7E uses 4 cells...?
RoGuE_StreaK is offline Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:31 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Actually NO. When charging NiMH a higher voltage is applied. For a 8 cell pack fully charged at about 11.58V you will have a voltage of around 12.6 while charging.

I take it you don't have a computerized charger yet?
I have one for my lipos, regardless. If you charged the battery's inside the devo 7e tx at 13.5V then you would fry all the electronics inside. As the charging port also feeds the transmitter.

4xAA Ni-Mh!= 3s lipo.

Burst charging 4 AA's at 13.5V would generate some serious heat from the battery's. And would likely melt something in the closed battery compartment if it did work.

I think your confusing it with the other walkera transmitters that swallow 6 and 8 AA battery's.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:48 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
I have one for my lipos, regardless. If you charged the battery's inside the devo 7e tx at 13.5V then you would fry all the electronics inside. As the charging port also feeds the transmitter.

4xAA Ni-Mh!= 3s lipo.

Burst charging 4 AA's at 13.5V would generate some serious heat from the battery's. And would likely melt something in the closed battery compartment if it did work.

I think your confusing it with the other walkera transmitters that swallow 6 and 8 AA battery's.
You don't get it. Do like this:

1. Plug your charger into your 7E.
2. Turn on your 7E
3. Check voltage
4. Report it here.

Simple eh?

And, it was about 8 AA, not 4.
Last edited by sbstnp; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:36 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
Quote:
You don't get it. Do like this:

1. Plug your charger into your 7E.
2. Turn on your 7E
3. Check voltage
4. Report it here.

Simple eh?

And, it was about 8 AA, not 4.
6V , as i said earlier. slightly below, to slightly above depending on much is left in the batterys.

The 7E only runs on 4X aa's. Unless i missed something and you were discussing another tx then the 7E.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:55 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
6V , as i said earlier. slightly below, to slightly above depending on much is left in the batterys.

The 7E only runs on 4X aa's. Unless i missed something and you were discussing another tx then the 7E.
What I was trying to say is that you'll be hard pressed to find a cheap 12V that is 12V. Most are around 13.5V to 14V with small loads, and converge towards 11.8 - 12V when approaching max load.

My only (almost) true 12V source regardless of the load my devices are capable of is my converted server power supply.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:27 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
Quote:
What I was trying to say is that you'll be hard pressed to find a cheap 12V that is 12V. Most are around 13.5V to 14V with small loads, and converge towards 11.8 - 12V when approaching max load.

My only (almost) true 12V source regardless of the load my devices are capable of is my converted server power supply.
Oh, you want me to measure my power supply instead of the tx voltage reading?

Easily done, 12.26V. , its a 12V amigo, made in china.
Came with one my my seagate usb drives.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:49 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Well awhile back when the ongoing discussion was about the transmitting range of the 7E I decided to e-mail Walkera to get thier response to the same question. I finally received an answer over the weekend. It certainly doesn't seem to jive with what I found just doing simple walk away tests. Of course I wouldn't expect them to say 'oh you'll get a solid 70-80 yards out of it before signal loss'.

Dear Sir/Madam

Good day!
This is Ella Zhou,from Guangzhou Walkera Technology CO.,LTD
It's my honor to answer your question. The maximum range for DEVO7E is 300-500m.If you have any question ,please feel free to ask me.

Best regards
Ella Zhou
International Marketing Dep.
Guangzhou Walkera Technology CO.,LTD
TEL: 8620 34915320
FAX: 8620 8491 5117
E-mail: heli-29@walkera.com
MSN:lee19900417@hotmail.com
http://www.walkera.com
Our working time: Monday - Friday 

=

原邮件发件人名字:mgatxxxxxx@comcast.net
原邮件发件人地址:mgatxxxxxx@comcast.net

原邮件收件人名字:info@walkera.com
原邮件收件人地址:info@walkera.com
原邮件抄送人名字:
原邮件抄送人地址:

Hello Walkera,

I have a question for you about the 7E...
What is the maximum range for transmission, how far can a model fly before it will lose the transmitters signal?

Thank you!
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
A 7 mW transmitter having a range of 300-500M?

Did she even bother checking at all?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
295 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know if the sticks on the 7e can be removed and replaced. Id prefer some slightly longer sticks, about ~1 cm.
or my only choise is finging something suitable and ca/shrinkwrap it in place?
I'm surprised nobody has answered this, as the cheap plastic stocks on the thing drive me crazy.

The sticks just unscrew, and the Futaba replacement sticks fit nicely.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:11 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
I'm surprised nobody has answered this, as the cheap plastic stocks on the thing drive me crazy.

The sticks just unscrew, and the Futaba replacement sticks fit nicely.
I just extended mine with 6x M2.5 washers for now.Id rather not upgrade to metal sticks when its subzero outside