HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex 4.5 meter DG-500

Any one have an idea of what airfoil it might have? It has a glass fuse & foam core wings & tail group.
Only have to ask because I've been flying it a lot & I just love the way it flys, so smooth, thermal turn are so easy.
Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
Marc

the airfoil is a ritz 2

Stéphane
sruelle is offline Find More Posts by sruelle
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Thanks. So what kind of info can you give me that airfoil. Is it a good airfoil ?
Thanks Marc
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
Mark,

apparently that's a good airfoil for you as you are happy with it!

These airfoils from the ritz family are pretty old now, I have it too on my DG600 MPX who is 20+ year old! these airfoils have been use mainly on scale slope plane, were usually drag is not too big of a deal, they are doing good in light condition if the plane is light too otherwise you have an ironing instrument. Don't forget hat 20 year ago there was not that much people doing aerotow, most of people where slope guy, especially in Germany.

Multipex has then moved to Fx60-126 on their DG300 better airfoild than ritz for lift but energy management is purely imposible with that airfoil if you have a light glider.

Today HQ is the norm, very good all around airfoil. I mainly use HQ evolution, SB98 or SB96 airfoils (SB stand for Serges Barth) available on airfoil plotter program like profili. I use the SB98 on my SZD59 (1/3.25) and I am very pleased with it on a light glider, thermal well and penetrate well too.

Here is my point of view based on my experience, everyone will have a different one, the important s finding your way.

Stéphane
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:43 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Thanks for the great info, you are right I do like it. This is my first scale sailplane. To me it is heavy at 14 lbs. but it seems to fly so well off aero tow. I'll take it to the slope at the end of the month, hopefully. Thanks for your time, didn't know this sailplane is about 20 years old, think I will keep it.
Marc
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
You are welcome

do you have the DG500 with wings extensions (4.5m) or the regular one?

14Lb is a little heavy for that plane that should be around 10-12lb, but that plane was able to get loaded with ballast rods in the wings giving an extra 2lb to the plane. Depending on your finish on the wing that might explain the weight.

You will love it on the slope!

If your are looking more specific info on aerotowing or scale sailplane please visit http://www.rcaerotowing.com , other great website for info and forum

Stéphane
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:54 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
My wings do not have extension, but do measure 4.5m. I bought the planes used & the previous owner glassed the wings & tail group. I see the ballast tubes in the wings, but don't have any ballast yet. I have been to that aero towing site, lots of good info there.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:38 AM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
If you can get your "500" to a slope, do so! It's a real Rock n Roller off a hill!

I sure miss mine!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:28 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
Not sure if it useful to you but the original instructions are downloadable from Multiplex, at the bottom of this page if I've got the link right. They are in English as well, just need to scroll through.

I have the ASW22, DG600 and Fiesta from this era. I don't know anything about the Ritz aerofoil but it certainly works!!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
Marc, Glassing the wing is explaining the 14lb

Gary, I wish I would have bougth their ASW22, great flying machine!

stéphane
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:05 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfred Radius View Post
If you can get your "500" to a slope, do so! It's a real Rock n Roller off a hill!

I sure miss mine!

Randy
I hope to get it there at the end of the month. Really looking forward to it on the slope.
Marc
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:08 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
Not sure if it useful to you but the original instructions are downloadable from Multiplex, at the bottom of this page if I've got the link right. They are in English as well, just need to scroll through.

I have the ASW22, DG600 and Fiesta from this era. I don't know anything about the Ritz aerofoil but it certainly works!!

Cheers

Gary
Thanks for the info & link.
Marc.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sruelle View Post
...apparently that's a good airfoil for you as you are happy with it!

Stéphane
Many a profoundly truthful concept is said in jest!

My ancient Alpina Magic has the old Ritz foil and I love it too!
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1