Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 30, 2014, 11:02 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danby View Post
Guys, I would like my son to learn control of an RC car on this. It is way too fast for my taste, what if I changed the motor to "B20-40-31L Brushless Inrunner Motor 1850kv", it is the same size but the car would go much slower due to lower kv. Would this be OK?
A motor swap is an unnecessary expense. Just set the throttle endpoint lower on your transmitter. If you don't have an adjustable transmitter, put a small block of wood behind the trigger so it won't go down all the way.

Shock towers, A-arms, knuckles, and spurs seem to be the most common broken parts on this car.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2013
580 Posts
the car is FAST!!!

the controller I have is sensitive , you can adjust the throttle by a control knob to slow it down. what type of controller is that fs-gt2b, steer trim, throttle trim steer direction. I paid about $20.00 for it. See pic below.

The spare parts I get are the E-clips at Home Depot. the lower arms front & rear, they will break on hitting things, they will.

I have replaced a shock tower, one front lower arm, one rear lower arm, lost a dogbone, and broke a C arm for the front.
Body I got a spare for the hell of it,

I also get a spare battery I run a turnegy 7,4 2.2 and get a good 45 min plus run times.

good luck and hope you enjoy

crave is online now Find More Posts by crave
Old May 31, 2014, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2013
580 Posts
I as well have one step down on that radio. it takes AA bats. vs a 3.7 lipo rechargeable and as well has a thr adjustment
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Jul 2013
580 Posts
As time always go bye, the Beetle is awesome still enjoying, not many here to continue the fun guess people move on.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 12:10 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,428 Posts
I almost got this car, but the risk on high extra customs charges if ordering it, kept me away. Also, I came across another great performing 1/14 scale car, the LC Racing EMB.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2013
580 Posts
So I get the screw, and soon after the lower arm gives. had a spare from the last order lol, they alternate the sides . stressful, nah. And sure enough some. the spur just chips away. so I found one, and getting a spare lower arm as well. from a seller vs HK. moth later and signature for a large box with a part in it Lol

love this car to death.

will be making a spur protector. nah not worth a metal one yet
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2013
580 Posts
Well I guess I need to find a better Allen key. so I ordered a new beetle for a low low loW price. will keep the other as spare. try to get a key to fit beter lol
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,665 Posts
Hello everybody. I am completely new to this sort of R/C car, though not to R/C, but I have a requirement for a vehicle to survey underground pipes and think that this might be a low-cost first step. The vehicle would be under the control of APM:Rover firmware running on an APM 2.6 autopilot. The APM:Rover website recommends this vehicle, It would use sonar to keep itself central in the pipe and to avoid any obstacles - this would require modification to the APM:Rover code. I already have a quadcopter which uses the APM:Copter firmware running on the same hardware, but this operates using GPS, useless in a pipe! Initially the Beetle would carry a video camera + lights, but later might carry other sensors.

What I would like to know is just how slowly the Beetle can travel using the stock ESC and motor, and does it have reverse as stock? A speed of 1m/yard per sec or less would be good. I already have the HobbyKing Brushless Car ESC 30A , which does have reverse, and have read that this may offer a smoother/slower start. If the car does have reverse, how well does it drive in reverse?

I have also read in this thread that it should be possible to replace the stock motor with a lower kV B20-40-31L Brushless Inrunner Motor 1850kv, which is meant to be the same size. Has anyone actually done this?

Waterproofing would be another issue, but do you think the Beetle would be any good as a test bed for this purpose? An alternative would be one of the HK robot chassis, but these don't have any firmware which is as good as APM:Rover for a starting point.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Last edited by richard9999; Yesterday at 08:38 PM.
Old Today, 12:01 PM
Joined Jul 2013
580 Posts
Build your own, all you need this for pipe inspections. I again build my own