Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
.... But you can call me Dave
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Thanx Dan, I appreciate it. You have to see that paint in person to get the FULL effect. This build has been alot of work, but worth every minute. Even if she's not a top performer, I will still be pleased with the accomplishment of the build. It's my understanding this design has flaws, we will see how she does. I am going to lay what should be the last coat of epoxy tonight. Then work on the spray rails and strakes on the bottom. Any one have any suggestions on the height and width of these?
DepthsofHell is offline Find More Posts by DepthsofHell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Just Go For It!

And that's exactly what I did. I have been researching for the past few days (and months) about ride pads and strakes. So this is the conclusion I've come to in a nutshell: The rides pads give the boat a smaller ride surface, which inturn make the boat faster in the straights. The strakes give the boat some bite while turning. And the spray rails sheer the water off the hull. It seems there are mixed opinions on what they actually do, but this is the way I figure it. I used walnut for the above mentioned areas. It is one of my favorite woods, when you add laquer, varnish, epoxy etc. the walnut turns a reddish color that is just beautiful. This boat kinda turned into a work of art, per say. There are areas that I could have shed some weight, but I have so much wood laying around it was hard not to take advantage of it. I have decided to leave it bare wood. I don't think I could get myself to cover it with paint. And leaving it this way, I can see all the imperfections that will help for future builds. I will get some pics up of the bottom of the hull.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Gettin There

And here they are. I should have cut the front end of the ride pad at an angle for a cleaner look, but oh well. I also think the ride pads might be a little narrow. What do you guys think?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
With epoxy.......
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:36 AM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
95% Donesky!

I got her all put together and just about ready for the maiden voyage. I just need to get a flex shaft and a new o-ring for my high speed needle. I want to thank EVERYONE who helped out with this build giving their info and advice. A BIG THANK YOU goes to The Mad Boater! This build would have been alot more work without his help, THANX BRO!!!!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:57 AM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Some More....
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,590 Posts
Very nice!!!!!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:36 PM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Well ! I was hoping to post a video of her running on the bench today, but I was having a problem with the fly wheel eating the starting belt after relieving tension off the starter, therefore killing the engine. Good news is the Picco has no problem wanting to fire up. I'm going to pick up some belts tomorrow that I'm hoping will be a little thinner. Kinda funny, I usually have a problem with the belt slipping, go figure!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,590 Posts
Deleted.
Last edited by Alex Schauer; Mar 11, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
I got a short run on the bench today, I don't run my boats without load on them for very long. I need to pick up an adapter for my hose to cool her down. I always tear my engines down when they sit in the cupboard for awhile, and I have not done that. So I will pull the engine out and give her an overhaul. Might want to turn your speakers down, apparently smart phones can't handle recording too many decibals.
Last edited by DepthsofHell; Mar 12, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Gotta Be Smarter Than The Computer!

48 inch Catamaran Build Picco P90 (0 min 27 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:19 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Looking good DOH
now get it wet haha and stop teasing us with pics
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,590 Posts
Looking great!
Last edited by Alex Schauer; Mar 12, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofHell View Post
Well ! I was hoping to post a video of her running on the bench today, but I was having a problem with the fly wheel eating the starting belt after relieving tension off the starter, therefore killing the engine. Good news is the Picco has no problem wanting to fire up. I'm going to pick up some belts tomorrow that I'm hoping will be a little thinner. Kinda funny, I usually have a problem with the belt slipping, go figure!
Great job on the Cat,as for busted belts,can I make a suggestion on them belts from getting busted.When the belts are fairly new they tend to stick to the flywheel and also on to the starter wheel as well,best remedy is to shot or apply WD-40 onto the belt and flywheel and wipe any excess oil off the hull. Them big motors like to eat them belts too,as I run the X-Class and use the Picco .80,.90,CMB's .90's..I also use a 3rd channel ( Bob Violett )part # BVM-6027 for my fuel mixture,it helps during heat races or just fine tuning the craft while it's running on the water.I'd stick with the thicker belts as they as stronger than the thinner ones...I've been using Prather belts,they have lasted atleast 3 years now... Keep up the great work on that project of yours.

Here's the link to the remote 3rd channel :

http://www.rossisales.com/remotefuelvalve.html
XRated is offline Find More Posts by XRated
Last edited by XRated; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:43 AM
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 madness View Post
Looking good DOH
now get it wet haha and stop teasing us with pics

We got a funny guy! Thanx for stopping by F1. I'm gettin there, the boat is actually torn down at the moment. It started with me pulling the engine for a rebuild. Then I decided to add drainage holes in the transom. And now I am going to do some altercations to the radio box. Should have it all back together today, minus the engine. We will see.........