HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:20 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
AC-47 Mod Underway!

Here's a few pics of the first two gatlin guns in the windows. They're made from 1/16 styrene rod. I also coated the tail wheel swivel mount with epoxy to keep it from moving. Next, the gun in the door. If I cut the door out, I'd have to build an interior floor and walls. Basically a plastic card box inserted in the door opening, then mount the gun or glue the gun the gun to the foam door and paint the door black. Hmmmm!

Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:36 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
Cargo Door Mod

This evening, I used .020 sheet styrene to create a box which is inserted into the door opening. Next, a mini gun will be installed in the box.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:03 AM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,691 Posts
Hi Guys,
Looks like you can get those Decals here http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=GPMA2595
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
206 Posts
skybus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
They are back in stock. I just ordered one. For those of you who own the Skybus, what do you think of it?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8931-skybus-rtf.html

Best,
Tony
I'll let ya know when i get it... should be Monday
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
This is a pic of my dad on top of the stand, working "Mainliner City of Spokane" with a co-worker in Omaha, Nebraska in 1946. Dad could tell you the maximum gross takeoff weight of UAL's DC-3's right up to the day he died. I guess there's some things you never forget.
A UAL son doing a Eastern Bird!! Shame-Shame!

So did you have

New Playing cards each year with UAL's Fleet on them

Snow "Bunny suits" with "United" on them

.... a almost unlimited supply of Macadamia nuts!

UAL Son here <JFK> Dad also loved the DC3. Flew it over "the hump" more then once.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post

So did you have

UAL Son here <JFK> Dad also loved the DC3. Flew it over "the hump" more then once.

Tommy D
Hi Tommy, from down in PHL. I Spent some time a few decades ago at JFKFF.

Ya, well...The EAL livery... When it crashes and breaks up, I can pretend to be Frank Lorenzo.

Letssee... 1939 to well, today...That would make it a 71 year legacy. Plenty of time to accumulate the memorabilia. For example, I still have the baby blanket that UAL Pres. William Patterson sent to Mom and Dad when I was born, some Red Carpet Flight matchbooks with my name on them in gold leaf, and half a box of blue #2 pencils that say, "Fly United Air Lines - Jet Mainliners."

When you were a boy, were you the only kid on the block who always had a suit that fit? Did you ever write a school theme about flying to Disneyland for the weekend, only to be sent home with a note from the teacher that said, "Tommy is telling tall tales in class?"

After all these years, as for my interest in piloting and RC'ng away from work, u'd think I'd shy away from that, but I guess you could say, "It's in my blood." Probably is, for everyone in here.

PM me n we can trade some tales of glory and woe, huh?
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:27 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post

So did you have

Tommy D
Forgot to mention...I also have two big, red "Capital Airlines" ramp umbrellas, once used to walk mink-coat clad ladies to and from the Viscounts and a gently used window from a DC-6.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
AC-47 Black Paint Applied

The first and second coats of black paint were airbrushed to the underside of the Dynam DC-3 this evening. It's starting to look like an AC-47 "Spooky" Gunship.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
very nice, tony! keep the pics comming! i really want to order this plane, but all of that white foam is scaring me! i think i am going to end up ordering it, however. i need to test some of that testors paint i have on this type of foam to see how it takes, first.

also......braniff son here!
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:17 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks Rob! The great thing about white foam, only takes a few light coats of paint to cover it. The Testors enamel is working great! I'm looking forward to shooting the Southeast Asia Camo next!.

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:27 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,197 Posts
Tony, are you using the Testors enamel in your airbrush? If so thats what I plan on using, but I will spray out of the can. It just takes several light build up coats so that there is no chance of the propellant in the spray can attacking the foam. I have had good luck with this process on foam in the past. The Tamiya spray paints do well also. Your gunship is really looking good. Did you use anything to fill the "foam machine holes" in the bottom of the wing? I can't tell in the pic, but it looks like you may have used some filler?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:33 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
hey scott..i have used both testor's and tamiya spray paints quite a bit. do you think these paints will work on this model? i did not know that it's the propellant that eats away at the foam. so, several light coats with the can some distance from the surface to be painted is the key?

thanks.......rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:40 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Hey Rob,

You can do that or you can try a method I have used. That B-17 I built you seen I put primmer on the model first. I used Rustoleum Aqua. Its water base, alot safer and actually has some give to it.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:27 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
AC-47 Topside Prep

Scott-I'm strictly using an airbrush. I have better control which allows for precise application, especially when it comes to applying the camo scheme on top. No filler used since the foam machine holes are underneath. I just light sanded the entire underside to remove the raised foam. The next step will be the SEA Camo scheme on top,then install the door mini gun. The three blade props should be here on Thursday.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:12 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,197 Posts
Yea, I will have my DC-3 tomorrow, and my props Wed. I ordered some 7x3.5 and 8x4's.
I also have some 6x3's, but they will be to small. I want to check the amp draw with the stock 2 blade props first, so that I can stay in the ballpark with the 3 bladers. Rob737, yea the propellent or paint can eat the foam. You just have to be very careful. I have used these paints on several types of foam over the years and they are fine. Just remember light and easy.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub