HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:13 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Never mind....
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Last edited by Talontsi96; Jan 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:12 PM
making big holes in the sky..
Scandinavia
Joined Aug 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Here is an all carbon/aluminum framed tricopter. I used the same plans, just cut from different materials. The center frame is two sheets of .012 aluminum over a plastic core, the arms are HC 10mm carbon with dowels glued into the ends. I used a HK401b for the yaw, but it needs to be hooked to a channel for gain. I'll program one of the knobs on the Eurgle to take care of the gyro gain.

At about 1 min in the video, I show the hands off stability. This is the first flight, using settings from my other copter.

http://www.vimeo.com/8895842

Looks like a Dream....

How do you attach the gyros??? Do you use some type of shock absorbing tape or just glued right on??
bajas is offline Find More Posts by bajas
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
WOW, only thing that is needed is a GPS hold system.

Good Job Bob D, Excellent!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Here is an all carbon/aluminum framed tricopter. I used the same plans, just cut from different materials. The center frame is two sheets of .012 aluminum over a plastic core, the arms are HC 10mm carbon with dowels glued into the ends. I used a HK401b for the yaw, but it needs to be hooked to a channel for gain. I'll program one of the knobs on the Eurgle to take care of the gyro gain.

At about 1 min in the video, I show the hands off stability. This is the first flight, using settings from my other copter.

http://www.vimeo.com/8895842
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajas View Post
Looks like a Dream....

How do you attach the gyros??? Do you use some type of shock absorbing tape or just glued right on??
I use double sided foam tape. Most gyros come with the tape.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,038 Posts
great job Bob!!! and what a great looking tri - Thanks for the weight info - I am shooting for 25oz on my next one but having a hard time getting there - Well Done!

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:39 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
SUCCESS

Well, sort of.. LOL. Powered up my Tri just a few minutes ago. Everything powers up and is working good. Either needs a LOT of trimming or ??? I couldn't get it to stay anywhere near stable. Most of the test all three legs remained on the ground; occasionally one or two would lift off - but with it constantly wanting to drift and spin I didn't want to give it much more throttle. At one point I thought I was getting the trim close and actually lifted off the ground - maybe 6" - but it quickly banked and wanted to take off sideways on me.

I think I know part of my problem is in my Tri's arms. I built these out of 1/4" aluminum U channel. Looks and works great but I have noticed that I get a lot of wobble at the motors. I don't think this Uchannel is strong enough. A quick fix for this is some additional Uchannel I have that snugly fits over the top. That will double the walls as well as enclose the U to make it a box. Should strengthen it up quite a bit.

I need to get the battery back home and check it though. I only messed around w/this for 5 min or so, but I no longer have enough power to lift a single arm. I can max out my throttle and not get enough power to the motors to do anything. Battery should not have drained THAT fast!!! As it sits now, I am just under 2.5lbs AUW.

But today's success gave me some needed motivation to go on w/this !!!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post

But today's success gave me some needed motivation to go on w/this !!!
Congratulation!!!
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,038 Posts
Good job AC5FF I think you may be right about the arms - To much vibrations and ossilation can also mess with the gyros and your stability - Firm them up and give it another go -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Good job guys!! It amazes me that there are tricopters ( tricoptie?) built from this thread all over the world! I've seen post from Greece France England Canada Australia Scandinavia Spain Israel and all over the USA. Hope I didn't miss any countries. This is very cool! Chime in with your location when you get flying.

And once more, I bow down to the real tricopter master Sebastian AKA bas10an
here on the groups, Also Dave Rains ( don't know about the spelling) AKA lemmiwinks, where I first saw a working tricopter on RC Groups. This is a fantastic place to sit and watch technology go wild!

Thanks Guys
Bob D signguy
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
532 Posts
Great flight Bob! What do you think makes that tri any more stable than your others?

Hang in there with your tri AC5FF. They all have their own personalities and you'll get yours figured out shortly. It feels good fire it up the first time huh?
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTom View Post
Great flight Bob! What do you think makes that tri any more stable than your others?

Hang in there with your tri AC5FF. They all have their own personalities and you'll get yours figured out shortly. It feels good fire it up the first time huh?
Hi Tom

I don't think its any more stable than the other dt750 copter, I was lucky to have near windless weather to show how stable they can be. I still like the wood copters the best. Nothing makes me feel better than being able to fix a totaled tricopter with a table saw and ten minuets!

Bob D
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:03 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
signguy, your new build looks awesome...good job man..randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:08 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
532 Posts
I hear ya Bob! Mine is all wood as per your specs. It's nice to have a hobby section at Lowes.

Tom
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:45 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,707 Posts
Well said Bob. I think I have read through this thread about a dozen times, and still reading though it. I am in Australia and in the middle of my build.

I have a question for you guys...

I fly Mode2 and would like to know what where you guys put the "Yaw" stick? Is it the typical rudder channel on the left stick, keeping Ail and Ele on the right stick?

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Well said Bob. I think I have read through this thread about a dozen times, and still reading though it. I am in Australia and in the middle of my build.

I have a question for you guys...

I fly Mode2 and would like to know what where you guys put the "Yaw" stick? Is it the typical rudder channel on the left stick, keeping Ail and Ele on the right stick?

Cheers
-J
Yup mode 2 here too. Rudder (Yaw) on the left roll and pitch on the right. Wish I still had my EK logictrol single stick radio. I should build one out of the eurgle!