HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:07 AM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Discussion
PT boat colour??

Hello all. I'm working on a 1/72 scale (13") PT boat. I need suggestions for colour. Preferably in a MM rattle can. Thanks for any advice!!
Freak Quincy is offline Find More Posts by Freak Quincy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:16 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
That would depend on the theater they operated in and the time frame. Mot were painted Navy gray at Elco or Higgins. Sometime after the US entered the war, the factories did start painting the boats for the tehater they were shipped to. Boats in the Aleutian and Europe were paintd gray; those in the SW Pacific were painted various shades of green with some black.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:29 AM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Thanks Bob. I should have mentioned I'm thinking of the 109 version......
Old Nov 07, 2009, 12:17 PM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Found this custom made answer to my question by "aslvrfrostcsvt". Guess I should have searched a little harder. Here is what "aslvrfrostcsvt says......."i was doing some research on PT 109 actual color scheme and came across this (read below) i was wondering if anybody has done any research themselves i remember my grandfather telling me that the 109 was actually gray not dark green .

Some time back I provided some information about accurately painting PT-109 at the time Kennedy was the boat's skipper. I've continued to do research on this subject with a variety of answers. Based on exchanging letters with Dick Keresey who was the skipper of PT-105, I'm convinced that the 109 boat was never MTB green. According to Dick, his boat was dark gray, and all the boats in his squadron (of which the 109 was a part) were gray. PT Boats Inc also states that the 109 boat was gray. There is a good picture of the 105 and 107 boats in route to Rendova with the dark gray paint scheme. So, with that in mind if you are going to paint the 109 boat after Kennedy took charge, you would paint this to match Navy spec 5D. A good match for this color is Model Masters Gunship Gray. Consider lightening up the paint with a little white to account for weathering. Take note that the Floquil naval colors are not longer being produced.
I also saw a note (above) stating that the 109 boat was called "JFK". According to Mr. Keresey his squadron didn't name their boats, or at least paint anything on them indicating their names. Photos don't show any evidence of a name painted on the 109.

Some modeling tips for the 109 under Kennedy...

1. The mast should be in the folded down position. It's possible there wasn't even a mast. All photos of the 109 boat after Kennedy took charge show no mast. Mr. Keresey said that a lot of the time the masts were left folded down, but he isn't sure about the 109.
2. Add depth charges forward of the torpedoes on each side. The 109 accidentally launched the forward port torpedo, driving the port depth charge through the deck. It was not replaced so one depth charge on the starboard side is accurate too. Consider adding a 37mm anti tank gun if you can find it. The book PT-109 describes how the gun was lashed to the deck.
3. Don't add stanchions and ropes on the foredeck. These had all been removed on all boats while in combat.
4. Don't add bow "PT-109" decals. The rest are accurate.
5. The spot light should be omitted. There is not even evidence of a mast for the spot light. The 80' Elco boats had a mounting on the port side of the cockpit. But looking at photos of the 109 cockpit with Kennedy sitting in it I noticed that the mounting point for this auxiliary mount show empty screw holes.
6. Sand off any evidence of a cockpit wind screen. The cockpit was fitted with armor plate on the front and sides. The port side of the cockpit should be the same height across and behind the wheel. Not curved as modeled. See photos for a better description." This post was contributed by "aslvrfrostcsvt".
Last edited by Freak Quincy; Nov 07, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:19 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Bump
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:11 AM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Why so small...

The 13", 1/72 scale static model I'm working on is alas, an experiment. You see, as I'm sure many of you have also experienced the phenomenon known as "Santa's been!" The little revell kit is a "dry" run for the early Christmas present from my Wife of a 1/32 Lindberg PT 109. I plan to make a winter project of building and RC'ing the Lindberg. With two RTR's that I heavily modified under my belt, I'm thinking it's time to try something a bit more challenging. Incidently, the little Revell kit shows a molding tool date of 1963. The kit seems very good for 40+ years old. It is built and it currently wears a grey coat of paint. I must say I like it in grey. I think I'll use grey on the "big" boat as well. I do like the green camo too though....maybe the green....Oh boy! Think I'll try a few combinations on the little feller before I decide. Lord knows there is time before the big feller will be ready for serious colour. Two things I'm struggling a bit with are "boot" colour (is that what the part below the waterline is called??), and power setup. Most of my reference material photos are black and white. It's near impossible to tell if the ?boot? is black or red. Is there a sort of concensus as to what would be most appropriate with either a grey or green scheme? Also, I am planning on direct drive dual props. I will need two proper motors. I plan to build proper stuffing tubes. Not sure if I should upgrade the props themselves over the two blade nylon ones supplied with the kit. I would love to get the powertrian right the first time! I'm looking for decent get up on plane quickly speed. Not looking to set the pond on fire. I'm sooooooo new at the RC and power side of the hobby......well my avitar tag line says it all. Any advice from you guys and gals is much appreciated!! Quince
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
I believe most PTs had a redish anti-fouling paint below the water line. When i built the static Italeri PT-596 that is what i used. I used a flat-green paint for the top of the boat too.

I'm currently working on the Dumas PT-109 and have a build thread here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=yapt

I have a 3 motor setup with proportional steering. I used the Dumas brass props and not the nylon 2 blades. I'll probably replace the brass props with Octura props at some point... last time at the lake i bent a prop on the bottom near the shore and the boat was not at full speed, just maneuvering.

If you look at my thread you'll see that i have it green at the moment. I'm going to be repainting it gray. then do the red on the bottom.
daemuon is offline Find More Posts by daemuon
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:09 AM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Maybe this will help
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
HI. If I recall from my navy days the boot topping was a dark/black band between the hull color and the anti fouling paint at the water line to hide the marks from the scum that floated on the surface in ports. Maybe an ex-deck force can describe better. CPO ret.
tincanrider is offline Find More Posts by tincanrider
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2008
210 Posts
http://ptboatworld.com/PT_Boat_Info/colorschemes.htm

some interesting info.
daemuon is offline Find More Posts by daemuon
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:05 PM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Excellent info guys!! Thanks very much. Now if some "gearheads" could chime in on power setup recomendations I would be well on my way. Thanks all for your efforts!! Quince.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:41 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
This is the Lingburgh 109 converted to a late war boat..runs on twin 550 7.2V, direct drive. Using the kit supplied shafts, props and rudders. Lots of fun!
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:45 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
I still believe that the 109 was actually painted green at the time of its sinking. If you look at the wreckage found by Dr. Ballard it appears to be green. I think that the skipper of the 105 maybe correct as to the color being grey when they were sent to the Pacific but the 109 was repainted at or a little before JFK's arrival. So it is possible that the 109 can be painted in either grey or green depending what time you wish to show the boat.

WingRider05- nice pic of the 333 boat
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:28 PM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Yep..beautifull PT there Wing! Nice bike too! (I've got the red 25th anniversary edition Goldwing). I read your Schnellboot (sp) thread...great stuff. I am leaning toward two traxis 550 12T on 7.2V with stock props but with home made stuffung tubes. I wonder about the friction factor with the way the kit shafts are setup. I've also read all the PT buildthreads I could find. Many excellent examples of very fine PT's on this and other forums! Good point PT-333. It's great to have options. Quince.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:12 AM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
Progress

Here are some pics of my Revell 1/72 PT as it currently sits. More to do...but coming along. Thanks for looking. Quince.