HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2009, 06:52 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Discussion
EDIT: Faint praise for SAPAC America

EDIT: see dampened enthusiasm below.

After lusting for their new 70mm L-39 (with flaps and retracts) and being blown away by Tumbler's flight videos, I submitted an order for a RxR version directly to SAPAC America and eagerly awaited the giant box...

It arrived about four days earlier than I expected (whatever version of UPS shipping they used was surprisingly fast) but I opened the box to find the fuselage cracked in two pieces .

I posted a comment about this and a picture in the L-39 thread and simultaneously sent an email to SAPAC.

They responded almost immediately with both a call AND and email and said the replacement was on the way.

Just a few days later, I found another GIANT box on my doorstep and I thought it felt pretty heavy for just a fuselage...and it turns out that they sent a complete replacement RxR kit!

I will give them a call to see if they want the old one back since I would never want to take advantage of their generosity...but even if they do, the rapid response and customer service is amazing.

And yes, the L-39 looks awesome. Its easily the nicest Foamy EDF I have ever seen. I can't wait to get this big monster to the field.

Thanks so much, SAPAC America. I will definitely place my next RC plane order with you guys.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Last edited by Smokescreen38; May 15, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2009, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Here is a link to the Reciever Ready version of this plane on SAPAC America's web page...
http://shop.sapacamerica.com/browse.cfm/4,1516.html

Here is the thread on the reciever ready version of the Sapac L-39 with Tumbler's videos
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023913

Here's a link to the other SAPAC L-39 thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015882

Here's a link to the "dress-up contest"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037274
Last edited by Smokescreen38; May 15, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Well.... I actually have to take it back...partially.

I just got off the phone with Emily from SAPAC America... who was very nice and knowledgable but aparently thet do want the original one back.

Also, in anticipation of waiting for the new FUSELAGE, I had already assembled the retracts, the cockpit, started tuning the retracts and flaps on the radio, etc.

Also, since I assumed that the broken fuse was going to be a spare (I was told that they didn't want it back) I had epoxy'd it back together... it looks ugly...but still, my labor went into it.

LOL... I wish I didn't start this thread. They still took care of the issue relatively quickly and they were responsive and courteous but my warm fuzzy feeling is gone.

If they had just sent out the replacement fuselage like they said they would, everything would be ducky.

I don't call this making it "right."
Old May 15, 2009, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
I just want to apologize for making this public...

...the experience of shopping with SAPAC America was a mostly positive one and I won't hesitate to buy from them again but after publicly gushing about them, its only right to temper the enthusiasm since I realze that I was misunderstanding the situation.

Again, I would never expect them to sent a whole new kit and not want the original one back (which is why I called them)... but what they have essentially done is to make a customer sit on their broken product and wait.

How does Hobby-Lobby handle these sitautions?
Last edited by Smokescreen38; May 15, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
At least there was communication...based on your experience(good,partially bad?) I still would not hesitate to buy an EDF from Sapac America.
-Dave
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh!
At least there was communication...based on your experience(good,partially bad?) I still would not hesitate to buy an EDF from Sapac America.
-Dave

Ditto..

Ha! I just got home and checked my personal email for the UPS label that was supposedly sent for me to print and I didn't get one!

Now I have to call them back and ask for it?

Old May 16, 2009, 09:31 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
but what they have essentially done is to make a customer sit on their broken product and wait.

How does Hobby-Lobby handle these sitautions?
I don't think there's much else they CAN do. Aside from the hassle of you having to send back some stuff because they sent you a whole kit, they've done everything they can. You'd have to wait on a broken product regardless of who it was, unless you had a local store you could exchange it at. So that's no different than any other vendor, except they had excellent communication and a speedy replacement shipment.

Hobby Lobby does about the same. When I had to get a 64mm F-18 replaced, they sent me a whole new one (after a bit of negotiating because they just wanted to send a couple of new parts). They wanted me to send them the old one back that had crashed due to electronic and fan malfunction. I explained it had crashed, and they said just cut off the wings and send it back still because they could pick some of the good parts out.

I'd say call Sapac and see if they'll let you keep just the fuse parts and only send them back the electronics. I wouldn't expect them to let you keep those, as that's pretty pricey and easily used in another one of their jets to sell again.

Look forward to seeing it get finished and fly!

- Dave
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict