HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Discussion
Removing ACT on SC

I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in the Ultimate SC Thread but after some scanning of many pages I didn't see what I was looking for exactly.

Namely....to deactivate the ACT system on the HZSC do I just unplug the 2 leads to the rx? And....if I want to completely remove the actual sensors is the one way that is better than another without ripping big holes in the fuse by digging/prying the sensors out? Thanks in advance.
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:29 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias
I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in the Ultimate SC Thread but after some scanning of many pages I didn't see what I was looking for exactly.

Namely....to deactivate the ACT system on the HZSC do I just unplug the 2 leads to the rx? And....if I want to completely remove the actual sensors is the one way that is better than another without ripping big holes in the fuse by digging/prying the sensors out? Thanks in advance.
Hi There Olias
Just take the leads out of the RX tape them to side of fuslage out of the way , works fine. OH BTW I did not fly it ( To Windy ) But My instructor flew my SC with my Aileron mod wing it workes well.
Happy Flights & Soft Landings
Sayers 1 ( Jerry )
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Thanks Jerry. Hey, that's great. Even if you didn't get to fly it yourself at least you got to see it in the air! Right on!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Hi Olias

Also I forgot with the ACT disabled , They say the switch that turns the ACT on and off will give you dual rates on the elavator & rudder. I don.t know I don.t have the stock electronics in mine so might pay to check that out with some of the Experts on the forum .
Happy Flights & Soft Landings
Sayers 1 ( Jerry )
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:59 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Hi Olias

Everybody wonders about the SC ACT, and its a good question. Sometimes its hard to find the specific details even with good searching.

The Anti Crash Technology does two things:

1. The Tx switch gives two control rates. With ACT on, the stick movement causes less control surface movement, making SC a little easier for newbies to control, but performance is a little less.

2. The Tx switch also activates the Rx to use the ACT light intensity sensors on top and bottom of fuse. Then the Rx expects bright light from the sky and less light from the ground. If you get plane into a funny attitude, the sensors detect the light intensity change, and Rx takes over and cuts the throttle and neutralizes the controls. It works because without your newbie input and if its not too close to the ground, the stable SC will straighten out all by itself.

The problem is that over brighter ground or water or snow or with darker clouds or in shadow of a tree sometimes the ACT kicks in when you don't want it to. Most people unplug the sensors or take them out, and you still have the two control rates with the switch on the Tx. Then if you get into trouble you can playACT and cut the throttle and let go of the stick all by yourself.

I pulled sensors out of fuse with no problem to the foam. Just grab, twist them a little to loosen and pull. The holes just add a little ventilation of electronics, but I put a little piece of black tape to hide the one in the windshield. (Trying to keep a newbie SC pretty is usually academic.)

CAUTION: When you unplug ACT sensors from Rx, note the teeny plastic part right next to them on top of the Rx. It's the LowVoltageCutoff (J3) jumper, and if you accidentally loosen it and then it leaves on its own, the motor will shut off real quick (been there done that). Its removed only when using a lipo.

I hope this helps. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Apr 16, 2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 03:59 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,266 Posts
By all means remove the ACT,its just a sales tool.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:52 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Thanks Icky. Exactly the info. I was looking for. Just to be clear, when we are talking about 2 different "control rates" this means that in one position the "response time" will be slightly faster than the other, correct?

Now....just waiting (like everyone else) for some flyable weather!! Can't wait!!
Last edited by Olias; Apr 16, 2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:55 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,615 Posts
I know there are a lot of negative comments on ACT but I also know it saved my plane form becoming a pile assorted size and shaped foam at least 4 times as a complete newbie, it was probably about the 10th flight that I switched it off and never switched it on again.

That said if I'm teaching someone else to fly I still use the SC and switch it on, if they loose it and the ACT cuts in it gives me time to grab the box off them and sort it out !!!!!!!!
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias
Thanks Icky. Exactly the info. I was looking for. Just to be clear, when we are talking about 2 different "control rates" this means that in one position the "response time" will be slightly faster than the other, correct?

Now....just waiting (like everyone else) for some flyable weather!! Can't wait!!
Flip the switch while on the ground, and holding full rudder or full elevator. In the "ACT on" position, the rudder and elevator do not move as far at full stick throw, "softening" the controls.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme