SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,288 Posts
Help!
Strange Futaba 8FG behavior?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone ever had this issue?

The other day I was going to maiden a Multicopter of mine. I just happened to go through my radios menu, and noticed that my ELE and AIL were off by about 6%? I did setup THIS radio the night before, and did nothing in between that would have changed the stick position! I did a H/W calibration, re-calibrated the flight controller and did the maiden flight. Everything went fine.

Anyhow. Out of curiosity I checked my stick positions again the next day, and fair enough, they were off again?! The radio was just sitting overnight on my desk. Temperature fluctuates between 80 and 72, in my room, during the cause of a single day. Would that have anything to do with it. I doubt it...

The next thing I tried was, to see how the radio reacts to shocks. I hit it with the palm of my hand a could of times and fair enough, now some more channels were off?! I forgot which ones exactly, but one was at full throw of the stick at only 88%?

What the heck?! Sure, I will call Futaba and see what they say, but I am just wondering if anyone had a similar issue before?

thanks,

G

p.s. I did not whack the radio! I just bumped it a little bit...
neavissa is online now Find More Posts by neavissa
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,288 Posts
To the top...
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,429 Posts
Well, I don't hit my transmitters, so no strange behavior from mine.

I never had to calibrate my 8FG or 14SG. They've been working fine straight out of the box.

Improperly performed calibration may alter the way the transmitter works. I'm not saying this is the cause in your case. Could be a bad tranny.

If exposing the transmitter to shocks alters the center values there's something mechanical wrong with it. As it affects all channels I'd think there is a bad/cold solder joint somewhere at or around the encoder CPU which alters a reference voltage or something similar.

If it were me I would send it to the Futaba service center for check up and repair.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Well, I don't hit my transmitters, so no strange behavior from mine.

I never had to calibrate my 8FG or 14SG. They've been working fine straight out of the box.

Improperly performed calibration may alter the way the transmitter works. I'm not saying this is the cause in your case. Could be a bad tranny.

If exposing the transmitter to shocks alters the center values there's something mechanical wrong with it. As it affects all channels I'd think there is a bad/cold solder joint somewhere at or around the encoder CPU which alters a reference voltage or something similar.

If it were me I would send it to the Futaba service center for check up and repair.

Ivan
Ivan,

Thanks for the input. I only "hit" it to see, if the problem comes from shocks, temperature or what not. And like I said, not really hitting it... more like bumping it.
I also perform the calibration exactly the way it is supposed to be, so I don't think either, that this is the problem.

Must be something what you said... solder joint, or so? To bad. I was just about to sell it...

Anyway, thanks again.

G