HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:15 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
The motor supplied in the HK version of the T/S is a 3648 700kv motor weighing 185g. It's almost exactly the size and weight of the pictured Tacon motor (I've got one of those, too). I intended to use the Tacon if the supplied motor ever craps out. It will require a smaller prop as it is a higher KV motor.

These motors power the plane fine for scale flying and mild aerobatics . They require no reinforcements or modifications. I've logged 157 flights since Mar 2011 on my bone stock HK version with no problems or issues. I continue to fly and enjoy it several times a week.

But if you want more power you'll need to rework some of the components mentioned above to successfully cope with the added weight and stress.

Your video of the Starmax looked to perform similarly to mine and I'm ok with it's performance.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "adequately powered" is.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
The motor supplied in the HK version of the T/S is a 3648 700kv motor weighing 185g. It's almost exactly the size and weight of the pictured Tacon motor (I've got one of those, too). I intended to use the Tacon if the supplied motor ever craps out. It will require a smaller prop as it is a higher KV motor.

These motors power the plane fine for scale flying and mild aerobatics . They require no reinforcements or modifications. I've logged 157 flights since Mar 2011 on my bone stock HK version with no problems or issues. I continue to fly and enjoy it several times a week.

But if you want more power you'll need to rework some of the components mentioned above to successfully cope with the added weight and stress.

Your video of the Starmax looked to perform similarly to mine and I'm ok with it's performance.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "adequately powered" is.
Yeah those Tacon motors are really nice. I have several of them in my planes.

I have the 32 size in my Zero and it flies great with a 13x10 prop. The 25 I fly with a 11x8x3 prop and I get about 10min with a 3200mah 4s battery pack.

Here is the stock motor from the SM Cessna and the Tacon 46 I'll be using for the TS Cessna
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:59 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
That big Tacon motor is over 1/4 lb heavier than the recommended motor. Add more nose weight for the necessary mount reinforcements and the model will be severely nose heavy. You probably won't be able to balance it with battery positioning. Could require dead weight added to the tail.

We should continue this discussion over in the T/S 73" Cessna thread. We've gotten off topic from the Starmax Cessna.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:13 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
After 82 flights off of asphalt, my Starmax wheels were about shot. I had some difficulty coming up with replacements that worked well. The wheel pant openings are narrow and the axle widths inside them even narrower.

I finally used Dubro Super light 2" treaded wheels and dremmeled down the hub width. Also slightly enlarged the pant openings. A 1.75" Dave Brown Light Flight wheel worked best for the nosewheel. I got these wheels to fit tighter on the axles than the wobbly supplied ones and it really improved the ground handling. The plane now tracks very true on takeoffs and especially landings - before the change, it was difficult to keep it on a true course.

It seems every Cessna has slightly different flight characteristics (I've got 6 foamy Cessnas). This one is heavy and fairly low powered and flys exactly like that.... "slow and steady". The higher wing loading allows it to handle some wind and still remain stable. Most folks would not find it very exciting to fly but it adds a different feel to my group of 172/182's.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:30 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
A couple of questions here...

1.) What size is the factory prop

2.) To MrMention: How did you get the motor mount out. My plane was glued on and inaccessible. Any insite on this would be helpful.

Thanks
Sparkie
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:57 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
No action here on this thread but I'm keeping my Starmax Cessna busy. I fly it almost daily and it's logged 101 flights, all stock, without incident.

It's an exceptionally stable and predictable flyer with no real vices. Power is only modest but it will do basic aerobatics ok. It really is best flown in a scale manner where it looks very convincing. Landing approaches at dusk with flaps down and lights shining can give a nice illusion of the real plane.

Anyone else still flying this plane?
Last edited by dbc; Jul 20, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
No action here on this thread but I'm keeping my Starmax Cessna busy. I fly it almost daily and it's logged 101 flights, all stock, without incident.

It's an exceptionally stable and predictable flyer with no real vices. Power is only modest but it will do basic aerobatics ok. It really is best flown in a scale manner where it looks very convincing. Landing approaches at dusk with flaps down and lights shining can give a nice illusion of the real plane.

I nabbed it last year for $99 and free shipping from Banana Hobby. A rare bargain. Currently it's being sold by Hobby Lobby for about twice as much.

Anyone else still flying this plane?
I have two and trying to repair one of them and keeping an eye on BH when available again (listed t $159). Actually when I checked with HobbyLobby the shipping was less than 20$.

I have been flying the StarMax 55in Geebee R3 Racer in the meantime. At $129 it is also a good value AND the motor/esc and servos are the same as for the Cessna

Only difference is the spinner is 2 blade with 13x8 which could be a nice alternative for the Cessna.

I just think that StarMax (Blitzworks) does not get as much attention than other brands but I always had great luck with them
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:35 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
It seems like Stamax products are more widely distributed in the UK than here in the USA.

I'd like to get rid of the pointy spinner on the Cessna as it looks bizzare and way out of scale. Problem is, the design of the backing plate and the motor spacing means that you can't use a conventional spinner and get proper cowl spacing. That Gee Bee spinner looks better and a good quality (APC) 2 blade prop would provide better performance.

Fbitz: do you know any US supplier of parts for the Gee Bee?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
218 Posts
This 3-blade spinner for the MX2 from HK will also fit but might be pointy as the Cessna's

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...2_Spinner.html

(they also have propellers for that, 3-blade 12x8)

I bought my GeeBee at ValueHobby and is the same as:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

There is a few threads on the Starmax GeeBee and the HK one but not much activity.
Last edited by fbitz777; Mar 21, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 04:36 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Hobby Lobby has 15% off coupon - $169.95 for a big, ARF 5 ft+ Cessna is not bad.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Hobby Lobby has 15% off coupon - $169.95 for a big, ARF 5 ft+ Cessna is not bad.
Thanks man...and shipping is less than 20$!

I am still enjoying my StarMax 55in Geebee R3 Racer and might use that spinner on the Cessna
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:53 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Flying this big dawg almost daily - and still loving it!! Seems like this plane is completely under the radar. A real shame..., It's a really nice Cessna! Anyone else enjoying this 5 1/4 foot foamy?
Last edited by dbc; Jul 26, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 01:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,227 Posts
I just got mine delivered from local supplier and there were lots of parts missing...no landing gear pack not propeller pack..no battery latch and the nose cone was damaged..Lets hope they send me the missing and damaged parts.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,227 Posts
All missing parts have been sent without any bother...I will have to put it aside while I finish some other projects.. I just couldn't let it go at $102.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier