SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:39 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
Discussion
OSD not level - any ideas?

I have not used the ODS in the past so I have nothing to compare this to.

I have flashed the latest firmware and started from the beginning with temp and the acc calibration process. I have done this twice, getting the same results. The horizon is not level... and it should be. It is level in the setup program.

Another thing I find strange is that I have centered all my TX trims and subtrims and started clean. My DW VM-6 (in manual mode) lifts up and is perfectly in trim. Magnificently perfect! When I switch to AL, I need a lot of roll trim to balance it - as though it is trying to balance to what the OSD tilt is. Yes I can trim it out (with a heap of trim), repower, all that stuff but I am wondering if others are seeing similar results when changing to the new firmware.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
The horizon may be cooked until you arm the multi-rotor.

Have you downloaded the new v4.6 setup client to go with the v4.6 firmware?

Are the accelerometer and temperature compensation check boxes checked in the "Pro Info" tab?

I'll check it out on my setup tonight to see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks,
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
I have not used the ODS in the past so I have nothing to compare this to.

I have flashed the latest firmware and started from the beginning with temp and the acc calibration process. I have done this twice, getting the same results. The horizon is not level... and it should be. It is level in the setup program.

Another thing I find strange is that I have centered all my TX trims and subtrims and started clean. My DW VM-6 (in manual mode) lifts up and is perfectly in trim. Magnificently perfect! When I switch to AL, I need a lot of roll trim to balance it - as though it is trying to balance to what the OSD tilt is. Yes I can trim it out (with a heap of trim), repower, all that stuff but I am wondering if others are seeing similar results when changing to the new firmware.

Pete
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
I printed the guide on 4.6 and followed it slowly and carefully... Downloading the latest software client/setup before flashing, disabling and then re-calibrating temperature and acc. I did it twice. It is crooked before and after arming.

Stacky has the same problem. I know the OSD and battery indicator are working (yay) but I think my gimbal and AL worked better with less variation with 4.3.802.

Pete
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
So, I just looked into this. It appears that there is a bug in the display of the artificial horizon in the setup client. Basically, it will tell you wherever you start is level. The artificial horizon in the OSD is correct when the aircraft is armed and ready to fly. It is a little weird to me that it is so far off if your setup. In my test setup, it's completely level when the aircraft is level. Is your HoverflyPro level on your frame?

This is a picture of mine armed and ready to fly.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
I will have another go tonight... but with the current testing giving me an unusable AH (which I use), I may have to roll back to 4.3 first as I have a media event next week and I need some flight time...

My board was level when calibrated. I have a perfectly level desk and I had a level on the FC bracket at calibration.

Thanks George.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
The fact that your artificial horizon isn't level is telling me something is wrong. The new altitude hold uses ALL of your sensors (including accelerometer) to hold altitude. If something isn't right, it could cause what you are seeing with AH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
I will have another go tonight... but with the current testing giving me an unusable AH (which I use), I may have to roll back to 4.3 first as I have a media event next week and I need some flight time...

My board was level when calibrated. I have a perfectly level desk and I had a level on the FC bracket at calibration.

Thanks George.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
What version of the setup client are you using? It must be version 4.6 or higher to work with the new accelerometer calibration. I think this is probably the problem you are having.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
BTW, you can get the new one here.
http://www.hoverflyupdate.com/setupC....6/publish.htm
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Also, just released v4.6 r2 which fixes the artificial horizon display issue.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:10 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
George, love how you guys sort things out so fast. Thanks
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky