HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:52 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
i have to be honest.

this was easily my number one beginner plane i was going to buy until reading about the connector issues. i would gladly pay $20 more for rtf or pro if the esc, charger and batteries connectors were upgraded. ive read about those tamiyas and i do not want to lose all power midflight and lose the plane.

i went with the super cub ONLY because of the connectors. ive watched videos and read everything i could on both these planes and the gamma is the one i wanted the most. nice slow flyer, relaxing to fly, easy to work on and especially the rtf price and aileron and brushless options. super cub, too big, slightly too fast, doesnt float as nice, dont like that there are mods you absolutely must do etc. etc.

me being new to this i wont learn soddering nor want to. its kind of a shame because i love watching the videos how great a floater this plane is. i just wanted something relaxing after a hard days work. i wonder if there are other new to rc folk out there didnt buy this plane for the same reason
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:01 AM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
i have to be honest.

this was easily my number one beginner plane i was going to buy until reading about the connector issues. i would gladly pay $20 more for rtf or pro if the esc, charger and batteries connectors were upgraded. ive read about those tamiyas and i do not want to lose all power midflight and lose the plane.

i went with the super cub ONLY because of the connectors. ive watched videos and read everything i could on both these planes and the gamma is the one i wanted the most. nice slow flyer, relaxing to fly, easy to work on and especially the rtf price and aileron and brushless options. super cub, too big, slightly too fast, doesnt float as nice, dont like that there are mods you absolutely must do etc. etc.

me being new to this i wont learn soddering nor want to. its kind of a shame because i love watching the videos how great a floater this plane is. i just wanted something relaxing after a hard days work. i wonder if there are other new to rc folk out there didnt buy this plane for the same reason
Im going to rock the boat a little. I bought the pro RXR last week. Spent 45 bucks on thier batterys, 15 on props, and 5 on deans. This plane flew only a few minutes esc toasted it self. Both Ares and HobbyTown refused to stand behind it.. I put this plane on the curb this evening with the garbage. I wont spend a dime on hobby town branded products again. And if ANY other store has what I need I will do my best not to shop there any more. If someone hurrys the can did thru my trash for it before morning. The wing isnt there because it didnt make it, but theres a full unharmed fuse there.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:58 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
sorry to hear that, looks like i made a good decision to go with the super cub. must be the stock tamiyas or molex or whatever. but you say deans? deans dont come with this plane.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:46 AM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
sorry to hear that, looks like i made a good decision to go with the super cub. must be the stock tamiyas or molex or whatever. but you say deans? deans dont come with this plane.
I put deans or micro deans on everything.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
What was the reason that Hobbytown refused to honor the warranty?
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:38 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Im going to rock the boat a little. I bought the pro RXR last week. Spent 45 bucks on thier batterys, 15 on props, and 5 on deans. This plane flew only a few minutes esc toasted it self. Both Ares and HobbyTown refused to stand behind it.. I put this plane on the curb this evening with the garbage. I wont spend a dime on hobby town branded products again. And if ANY other store has what I need I will do my best not to shop there any more. If someone hurrys the can did thru my trash for it before morning. The wing isnt there because it didnt make it, but theres a full unharmed fuse there.
It sounds like you're throwing out the baby with the bath water. The Ares ESC are indeed a weak(er) spot, along side the connectors. ESC's can be had for cheap and the connectors, well, we've beaten that horse to death. The Gamma airframe is solid. The servos, motor, structure, ALL are good to excellent.
While you go ahead and you do as you will, in the end, I'm sorry to hear that you dind't have a good experience with Hobby Town.
You guys at Hobby Town... Are you Listening?
I'm so deep into this hobby that switching out connectors or doing any mods to get a plane to fly is not a big deal. Back in the day, I would have bought a Super Cub but the price point was high so I went with the RTF Gamma 3 channel for $129. I'm glad I did. The whole experience of modeling and flying to get the Gamma to where it is today from whence I first started out is immeasurable.
And if you think that QC with Ares is questionable, try getting something from Hobby King. Good looking planes with poorly written instructions (if any), poor CGs, ESC's that almost always are undersized, Motors that get too hot, the list goes on and on. But once you know how to get around a model's shortcomings often you'll get a bird that flies well and can be down right fun.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
What was the reason that Hobbytown refused to honor the warranty?
Maybe the fact he changed the plugs...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:18 PM
Registered User
huskerfreak's Avatar
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Im going to rock the boat a little. I bought the pro RXR last week. Spent 45 bucks on thier batterys, 15 on props, and 5 on deans. This plane flew only a few minutes esc toasted it self. Both Ares and HobbyTown refused to stand behind it.. I put this plane on the curb this evening with the garbage. I wont spend a dime on hobby town branded products again. And if ANY other store has what I need I will do my best not to shop there any more. If someone hurrys the can did thru my trash for it before morning. The wing isnt there because it didnt make it, but theres a full unharmed fuse there.
Matt was offered a call tag to send his airplane back to Ares for it to be assessed what the problem was. Ares is more then willing to help a customer out and stands behind there product 100%.
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:32 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
Matt was offered a call tag to send his airplane back to Ares for it to be assessed what the problem was. Ares is more then willing to help a customer out and stands behind there product 100%.
Yea I was . Still havnt seen the label in the email box to send it back. So I trashed it.
I have even talked a few guys in your store into staying away from it. I will do everything I can to keep people from buying it. My problem wasnt with the plane or the POS electronics. It was with the lack of customer support.

I also explained that for me to drive to a Fedex location would cost me over 30 bucks. I also explained you could have the speed control back to inspect it. I also mentioned that I had replaced it with a decent brand esc. So yea they made an offer that they never came through on.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:14 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
Ok, let me get this straight. You changed out the plugs, AND you changed the speed control out? Did you change the speed control out BEFORE or AFTER you had the problem with the plane? Which ESC toasted? Seems to me, if you changed connectors AND the ESC, Ares/Hobbytown isn't responsible for the issues you had, you are. Many, many of us have flown the Ares Gamma 370 with no issues. Too bad you over reacted and trashed the plane.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
I changed the esc out to mine only after the factory one failed. Mine worked. I reinstalled the factory and it powered up. I figured a loose connection. I tried to fly it. Failed again. This time failed in the air. The rest is history.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Yea I was . Still havnt seen the label in the email box to send it back. So I trashed it.
I have even talked a few guys in your store into staying away from it. I will do everything I can to keep people from buying it. My problem wasnt with the plane or the POS electronics. It was with the lack of customer support.

I also explained that for me to drive to a Fedex location would cost me over 30 bucks. I also explained you could have the speed control back to inspect it. I also mentioned that I had replaced it with a decent brand esc. So yea they made an offer that they never came through on.
What would have made you happy?
a replacement ESC?
an new one off the shelf?
Did the store managers call you names? did they make you feel stupid?

Often a disgruntled customer will let an establishment redeem itself given time.
You should go through the UMX Carbon Cub SS threads and read through hundreds of pages of both the nightmares and successes of customer service through Horizon Hobby, presumably the King of RC.
What's done is done. but I feel you were a bit hasty.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
What would have made me happy would have been a new wing when I took it to the store. They had the chance to test it there.
The plane was made available for testing, and it was obvious that there was an issue. A 20 dollar wing is all I ever asked for
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
What would have made you happy?
a replacement ESC?
an new one off the shelf?
Did the store managers call you names? did they make you feel stupid?

Often a disgruntled customer will let an establishment redeem itself given time.
You should go through the UMX Carbon Cub SS threads and read through hundreds of pages of both the nightmares and successes of customer service through Horizon Hobby, presumably the King of RC.
What's done is done. but I feel you were a bit hasty.
As far as Horizons issues. I have never had any issue with the service there. Those guys take care of business. Another plus for the Super Cub ( and any other item they sell).
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
Ok so the original ESC failed in the air; I assume it was with the Dean's micro connector installed? Yeah, the battery connectors being changed is probably what caused them to not warranty the product. Is that what they told you?
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Jun 30, 2012 08:34 PM
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 24, 2012 09:45 PM
Found WTT Receiver ready Raptor 30V1 for RTF or receiver ready Trex 450 Sport/Pro conefree Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 May 21, 2012 08:28 AM
Cool RFR (Ready For Receiver) Smashed_Toad Scale Sailplanes 18 Mar 18, 2005 07:50 PM
Cool RFR (redy for Receiver) Planes Good or Bad? Smashed_Toad Thermal 10 Mar 04, 2005 05:13 PM