HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
@ Azure IMO a lot of people are making a mistake in buying this unit to "help" fly FPV, when in fact it won't help you, it will fight you.

In FPV where you look is (pretty much) where you are headed and it's much clearer looking from the model's POV then a quad more then 50m away (especially when it comes from telling left to right). Basically you're always flying tail in.

It's easier then most people who have never tried FPV think it will be, and with the naza holding your altitude you really only need the GPS add on to get you out of trouble.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
Ok a little of topic but you guys notice that TC got suspended
I was wondering why this thread was staying so focused....

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
I am one of those new flyers that Adidas4275 speaks of. I was simply too intimidated to fly FPV in Manual Mode until I found out that people whose flying skills I respected like he, Juz, Al Austria, et al were doing it that way and actually preferred it.

I find that for me it's a bit of a challenge flying my F450 Line-Of-Sight without ATT stabilization, particularly while in a transitioning turn from tail-in to nose-in when the quad is far away. But it's a whole different deal when controlling the craft in MAN for FPV... much smoother / precise / responsive, and without the stabilization always fighting me back to a level attitude.

It was definitely stressful first making the leap, but the learning curve was surprisingly steep and luckily without incident. I'm finding that pretty much the only time I'm crashing is due to my video downlink having too much interference or failing, which is why I'm now adding the NAZA GPS extension. I'm hoping that the RTH feature will save my ass when the video craps out and I can't recover LOS.

A sample of my 5th FPV series of flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DeJJuqFV4U

nice to hear.

yeah, with this hobby we have to be good at multiple niches...

it took me about 6 months and different antennas, diversity, different frequencies.... before i got a reliable video link....

best of luck to you in the future and let me know if you have any questions

looking forward to seeing more videos great flying BTW
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,858 Posts
Quote:
I would try at 100..
I will try 100, what are your settings??
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
I will try 100, what are your settings??
110 but everyones setup will be different, Just play around until the bounce goes away
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,858 Posts
Quote:
110 but everyones setup will be different, Just play around until the bounce goes away
Yes that is for sure, I was just wondering
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,184 Posts
here is my out of the box first flight test.
It was very windy and concidering the small garden it handled it very well.
Managed the whole flight with no stick inputs.
Only setting I adjusted was z to -12.
what was it I need to do to calibrate the compass?

Naza GPS VERY first test (6 min 32 sec)
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Jul 2005
305 Posts
Another question on Balance. Anybody know what the difference is between the WooKong M and the Naza with GPS is in relation to the balance. The balance test starts about 30 sec in to this video.

DJI WOOKONG-M INDOOR TEST (1 min 23 sec)
capman231 is offline Find More Posts by capman231
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
I am one of those new flyers that Adidas4275 speaks of. I was simply too intimidated to fly FPV in Manual Mode until I found out that people whose flying skills I respected like he, Juz, Al Austria, et al were doing it that way and actually preferred it.

I find that for me it's a bit of a challenge flying my F450 Line-Of-Sight without ATT stabilization, particularly while in a transitioning turn from tail-in to nose-in when the quad is far away. But it's a whole different deal when controlling the craft in MAN for FPV... much smoother / precise / responsive, and without the stabilization always fighting me back to a level attitude.

It was definitely stressful first making the leap, but the learning curve was surprisingly steep and luckily without incident. I'm finding that pretty much the only time I'm crashing is due to my video downlink having too much interference or failing, which is why I'm now adding the NAZA GPS extension. I'm hoping that the RTH feature will save my ass when the video craps out and I can't recover LOS.

A sample of my 5th FPV series of flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DeJJuqFV4U
Nice video! In the description on youtube you mention new motors and props. Care to share the details on them?
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capman231 View Post
Another question on Balance. Anybody know what the difference is between the WooKong M and the Naza with GPS is in relation to the balance. The balance test starts about 30 sec in to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fngej...hannel&list=UL
I believe any self balance controller always keep itself up right using the accelerometers, regardless of how unbalance the craft is. In the video, the side that has the battery handing just have to work much harder and draw more current to keep the craft level. The NAZA should be no different.
chuenwe is offline Find More Posts by chuenwe
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:08 PM
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,858 Posts
OK went and did some testing in the grass and it still will bounce only once but I don't think it is a product of the hard or soft ground, I now believe if it the PSI sensor like was mentioned way back by someone, The reason i say this is on the first bounce it don't even touch the ground{as u can see in the first video} only on the second and so on.. So i need to look at maybe putting some foam over the holes on the FC and see if that helps..
DJI Naza GPS RTH and land (1 min 13 sec)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Hi all,

I just tested the NAZA GPS today, not quite what i expected.

I've been flying the NAZA in a custom build 450 size quad with this setup:
Turnigy park300 1080kv motors
Turnigy 12amp ESC
8x4.5 props from flyduino
3s 3300mha Turnigy nano-tech
3s 4500mha Turnigy nano-tech

I must say this is the most efficient and stable quad i flew. Even with the 4500 lipo + a gopro and video tx i flies great, i can do between 12~16 minutes flights.

Since i updated firmware to v2.01 things have changed a lot. I have built a F550 hexa with T-motor 2212 and Dji 30amp ESC and added the Naza GPS to give it a first try.

I'm having a lot of issues with it. Flight time has decreased a lot, I know it has 2 more motors and its heavier than the quad, but i was not expecting the flight time to decrease by about 50%.

I'm also having yaw issues and wobbling. And if it's a bit windy its way too unstable. I tried to adjust the gains while in flight, didn't get any good result to stop the wobbling.

To take of i have to give it more throttle than before and i notice its much less responsive, if i descend quick, giving it full throttle is not enough to compensate and stop it to touch the ground. Vertical climbing is much slower than before.

btw, I calibrated the Compass, set in the software the correct offset position of the GPS to the CG.

I'm new to hexas, maybe i'm missing something

I did test the GPS features though, even with it being so unstable. I set a switch in my Aurora 9 to force the failsafe. It worked perfectly, RTH landed about 4 meters from take of.

I want to test it a bit more before i try the GPS in my 450 quad, tomorrow i will do more tests, i didn't test IOC yet so i'll try it, and i'll try to make a video of it. I also have a F450 frame but i dont like it much, The Dji frames are cool, but have some issues with vibrations

If someone has some tips i'll appreciate it

Cheers!
urbankuest is offline Find More Posts by urbankuest
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
That's not the proper language for a Lady

I've not checked the nasa thread all through, but could this pavement bounce be down to the FC rather then the GPS since it's the FC that has the baro?
This might seem daft but what about sticking a bit of tape over one of the baro vents and see what it does?

Of course some pool noodles will prolly fix it.
I think your on to something with the baro... I don't remember seeing any vent holes, is it just were the servo plugs are??
Thanks G
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
OK went and did some testing in the grass and it still will bounce only once but I don't think it is a product of the hard or soft ground, I now believe if it the PSI sensor like was mentioned way back by someone, The reason i say this is on the first bounce it don't even touch the ground{as u can see in the first video} only on the second and so on.. So i need to look at maybe putting some foam over the holes on the FC and see if that helps..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1C_U...ature=youtu.be
I had similar results today testing RTH and land. But i was landing on grass and in my case it didn't lift up and down so high as yours, it was almost always touching the ground.

I'm using a switch to activate failsafe, i discovered later that it is possible to regain control again by turn of the failsafe switch and then change flight mode. that way you avoid that rough attempt of landing
urbankuest is offline Find More Posts by urbankuest
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbankuest View Post
I had similar results today testing RTH and land. But i was landing on grass and in my case it didn't lift up and down so high as yours, it was almost always touching the ground.

I'm using a switch to activate failsafe, i discovered later that it is possible to regain control again by turn of the failsafe switch and then change flight mode. that way you avoid that rough attempt of landing
Yes that is how i get out of FS, but that was a test to see what happens when u don't turn your TX back on...