HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibs View Post
Hi, any chance of a picture? I can't visualise where you rx is. Thanks, Ibs
Here are the photos, let me know if you have questions.
For those keeping score this M120 with the removed or replaced heavy parts weighs in at 108g with battery and foam blades, considerably better than the 120g original weight. But wait, it gets lighter, 102g with plastic blades and 600mAh battery, read on to post 2377. To compare the DO2S weighs in at 102 grams with 850mAh battery and foam blades.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Mar 31, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Previous post corrections.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the RX antenna drops out the left side of the lower deck in my installation, the nose was pointed at me when I looked at it while writing, as you can see from the photos it drops out the right side. Also you may notice that I replaced those heavy aluminum tail rotor blade grips with the lighter DO2S plastic version and removed the tail boom struts and hardware, no need for them with the stiff carbon tube and tail boom mount fittings at the slab fuselage. Very stong indeed.
Last edited by A VIKING; Mar 17, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Viking, that's really cool. I may move my RX to the exact same position. The hands off hover sounds really good to me as is the easy way to change the main gear.
So what sort of pot settings on the RX do you use?
You have a V120D02s RX for a Devo right?

Thanks
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Viking, that's really cool. I may move my RX to the exact same position. The hands off hover sounds really good to me as is the easy way to change the main gear.
So what sort of pot settings on the RX do you use?
You have a V120D02s RX for a Devo right?

Thanks
I bought the M120 from Wow Hobbies with RX2622V-D installed and it is the same reciever that is in the DO2S.
RX pot settings can be found on post #2354.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Michael
Joined Mar 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflyer1 View Post
WOW!!! Bowing to you Michael. That is just plain sick!!
Sounds incredible!!! Your skills are beyond impressive. I feel like a 5 year old with a 3 channel co ax comparatively. I do not possess such engineering prowess. You'd make a tidy sum if you started doing professional upgrades/mods for us 'technically challenged' types. I'd never think to do half the things you mentioned to get this bird to fly like that... Rewinding a motor. Yeah that would be a disaster for me... lol let alone everything else.
Very impressive. Great contribution to the hobby and the forums.

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your compliment. I'd really like to point out, that I've gained tons of valuable advices from this forum throughout the past two years. There are so many technically skilled guys here that's always a great pleasure to browse through this site and to share technical findings on these micros with all of you.

Best regards

Michael
MichaelL is offline Find More Posts by MichaelL
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Here are the photos, let me know if you have questions.
For those keeping score this M120 with the removed or replaced heavy parts weighs in at 108g with battery and foam blades, considerably better than the 120g original weight. To compare the DO2S weighs in at 102 grams with battery and foam blades.
Curious where you sourced the Ti tail shaft?

Pretty impressive weight reduction. I'm betting trimmed up 100% complete, she'll be near the magic ~100gr mark! Nice!

Oh - also wanted to check with you on battery fitment with that rx location. Any issues???
itbvolks is offline Find More Posts by itbvolks
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
VIKING M120 do over.

In my last posts concerning the weight reduction=major performance increase I had the M120 down to 108g with long battery installed and foam blades. For those wanting even less weight which brings the M120 down to 101g as seen in the photo, you can install the DO2S short battery by removing the forward cross tube which opens up the battery compartment. I have a piece of foam installed to secure the short battery for these tests. Because of the short battery and length of the battery wires the only draw back to this install is you must connect the battery and then install the canopy during binding which is not a big deal but simpler is always better so in looking at the battery deck I can easily see removing the aft portion of deck making it a rear load set up for this battery. I'll post photos when that is done, late this week. If 101g isn't light enough, install the DO2S canopy as it is 1g lighter than the M120 canopy and with that you'll be sitting at 100g even! So how much weight have I been able to remove from the M120? Take 3 quarters and a penny and put it in your hand and do a few pitch pumps...that's how much lighter. Why am I doing all this...because I believe in the concept of the M120 with it's carbon slab sides and carbon tube tail boom, it doesn't get more stronger than that and also the 3 bearing support for the TT drive shaft for the stronger motors which means no drive shaft whiping during full throttle kicks. It's a little helicopter with many possible mods because of it's design. Oh, one more thing...it's fun.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbvolks View Post

Pretty impressive weight reduction. I'm betting trimmed up 100% complete, she'll be near the magic ~100gr mark! Nice!

Oh - also wanted to check with you on battery fitment with that rx location. Any issues???
Absolutly no issues with the long battery installed with the RX mounted behind it on the lower deck.
The titanium TT shaft was purchased from WOW Hobbies.
Check out the short battery install I just posted, you mentioned the magic 100g total weight...it's now at that point.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Viking,

With the RX under the frame, how do you adjust the pots on the RX without taking it apart again?

Thanks

Travis
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Viking,

With the RX under the frame, how do you adjust the pots on the RX without taking it apart again?

Thanks

Travis
Travis,
You can still get at the adjustment pot screws by sticking your screw driver through the openings in the main gear, once adjusted though they should stay as adjusted unless you just like to change them continually which you still can with this setup.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Oh OK, thanks.

I was laying in bed last night thinking about changing the RX location and then the pot adjustments entered my mind. Glad to know it's still possible through the main gear.

I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks

Travis
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
I'm thoroughly impressed with the weight reduction measures. I think it'll pay dividends in a couple areas - performance as well as durability. Probably pick up a little flight time as well. I like the open book approach to taking a look at the system as a whole. Should help stability and still keep her flying well....

What's the capacity on the shorty batts? Still 850's???

Lovin it! Going to follow your lead on setup as I've got a M120 on its way!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:30 PM
Michael
Joined Mar 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbvolks View Post

... you may also use a selfmade carbon tail shaft. That's quite simple to achieve and you don't need to purchase an expansive titanium shaft (I ordered
a titanium shaft a year ago for my V120 and finally kicked it out as I wasn't able to get down the vibrations it caused). You only need a 1,5mm carbon rod and a file (if you don't have one at hand you can also use your girl friend's nail file :-))) Make an exact copy of the original metal shaft (carefully file down the ends of the rod so that the gears fit tight to the ends. I'm using these selfmade tail shafts for at least one year in all three of my micros (2 M120D01 and one upgraded V120D02) and they perform better than all metal or titanium shafts I've ever used (no more vibrations, very strong and low weight).

Good luck and best wishes

Michael
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Carbon rod could work too. How's the durability? Something high density might work too.....
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
Michael
Joined Mar 2011
30 Posts
M120+V120D02 Blades + 17500 KV HP08S rocks

Hi all

This weekend I replaced the foamies in my M120 with the heavier D02s plastic blades. Even though I added 4g to the AUW the heli seems to climb faster on pitch pumps than before. The flight time also seems to have been slightly improved. Increasing the blade's weight means a significant contribution to stability, which quite well compensates any shortcomings of the RX2616V I'm currently using in that heli. I can do really fast FF in windy conditions (which before always ended in a stall). The rewound HP08S still supplies awesome power and flight time (with a 14T pinion 7 to 7:30 minutes). The AUW now is 115 g with an 850mAh Hyperion battery (750mAh provides 3g less AUW) but even though I have 4g more AUW now, fliht performance is awesome. If you don't do hard 3D agility is quite sufficient, but you really feel the difference. The heli turns not that quick and doing flips at constant flight level is not possible any more (I increased pitch curves and with this can't get beyond my current aile/ext setting without running the risk of popping off my links during extreme maneuvers. If I used a V120D02 head or its swashlock design that wouldn't be an issue).
However I've also ordered an RX2622V-D and I'm curious how much it weights and if I'm able to get the same flight caracteristics with this improved RX + the foamies. Has anybody weighted the RX2622V ? I'd like to know how much weight it's going to save.

@Don: Sorry, that I didn't provide any KV measurement yet. I've insulated all the wires poking out of my rewound HP08S with shrink tubes so that I'm not able to connect my KV-meter to one of the three phases. I let you know the value as soon as I'll have made the measurement.

Many thanks and best wishes

Michael