SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
Anyone have a stock motor/fan they would like to sell?

Topher39
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
you can get em at grayson hobby ,these are great little units for the buck and smooth running i wont let any of mine go
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:54 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
You can get them from hobbyPartz as well.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
They are great little units! Was hoping to get a good deal on a used one.
It's my fan of choice on 5s now!
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
I'm flying my Meteor on a 5s 4000 30c Sky Lipo and was able to fly for 9 minutes and only put around 2900 back into my pack. (New battery, only 4 cycles). This jet was made for 5S! Battery was barely warm. That has been by far my longest EDF flight to date.
i have a 5s 4000 20c lipo. wieght should be very similar to yours.
I am wondering where you put your battery to maintain the 105-110mm CG. I place mine as far as i can to the rear and still leaves me with 90mm cg.

i haven't maidened it yet. just want to get everything right before i head out.

thanks
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:59 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
i have a 5s 4000 20c lipo. wieght should be very similar to yours.
I am wondering where you put your battery to maintain the 105-110mm CG. I place mine as far as i can to the rear and still leaves me with 90mm cg.

i haven't maidened it yet. just want to get everything right before i head out.

thanks
Are you running with gear?

Im gear less (so no steering wheel servo either) and run a 5S 3000mah pack approx 1 1/2 2 inches from the rear hatch point.

Plane balances perfectly there.

Also like my paint Job?

First attempt at spray painting a model, got a bit of over spray but im still happy with it.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Finally a nice day for flying! (after a 10 day break almost). So out went the Meteor with its retracts mod....
I only used 4S for these tests.

First flights were off the concrete cricket pitch runway, and landing on grass - at high speed. I need to work out how to land with a bit more angle of attack to slow the touchdowns down a bit! But it is all fine anyway.

The next flight I took off from the "somewhat short mown grass" and it took a LONG time to get to speed, due to the drag of the grass. I was on full up elevator from after about 10 metres or so, when it was looking that it could be fast enough to lift-off.... but it wasn't. It went from one edge of the football oval, to past the middle (cricket pitch) before it began to finally lift-off!!! And at that low relative speed it took a bit more in the air before it could actually climb out.... to climb steep enough to clear the trees surrounding the oval on the other side!!
I guess it looked good.. sort of!!!
"Is it going to make it??.... pull up... pull up..." and then it soared upwards at 45 deg or more, just in time to clear the face of the treeline!!

"Retracts up".... well at least it looks a lot better then. Speed-wise I couldn't really tell any difference. Maybe it is X kph faster, but probably only single digits. The biggest benefit is NOT seeing the landing gear sticking out all the time!! So that made it all worth it.

I didn't get to do a 5S test.... I forgot!!
I was also wary after the last flight, because I came out of a "reverse Immelman" (is there such a thing?). eg Start quite high up (50m?) and roll over to inverted and then do a half loop down to a lowish level flight. Except as it gained speed coming downwards it didn't want to rotate rapidly enough, seeing the UP elevator is limited (even with the mod for maximum travel possible)!! I was holding full up, predicting the arc size, and praying it was going to reach level flight before the ground!! Plus there is a treeline in between it and me, so I needed 10m, or so, height to clear those too.
It JUST made it !! It is not much fun when you run out of control and have to just pray! It could very well have been a spectacular and fatal ending fo rthe Metoer really!

So I decided to pack it away, for its next Mod.... shifting to twin elevator servos, mounted each side of the rear fuselage. I might even mount them on the top side area, so they are using PULL for up elevator.

But if I had actually remembered the 5S tests I would have done those too. BAH. It probably would get up to a decent speed on the grass much quicker with 5S.

Roll axis response is excellent.... but the pitch axis (elevator, for UP at least), is terrible really. Unacceptable.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:52 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Are you running with gear?

Im gear less (so no steering wheel servo either) and run a 5S 3000mah pack approx 1 1/2 2 inches from the rear hatch point.

Plane balances perfectly there.

Also like my paint Job?

First attempt at spray painting a model, got a bit of over spray but im still happy with it.
No, everything is exactly stock, except the metal gear servo mod for the elevator. all landing gear is installed.
I push the battery back so its almost touching the rear wall, and still the CG is too far forward mine is 90mm vs 105-110mm
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Finally a nice day for flying! (after a 10 day break almost). So out went the Meteor with its retracts mod....
I only used 4S for these tests.

Roll axis response is excellent.... but the pitch axis (elevator, for UP at least), is terrible really. Unacceptable.
Peter, any way you could mix elevator to ailerons?
I posted this end of summer, page 88:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I was flying my planes yesterday in pretty heavy wind.
On some i had to use spoilers to avoid forcing them down. I tried the same with meteor and the effect was opposite: ailerons in up position worked like elevons. This gave me an idea for better elevator authority. I put a mix of elevator to ailerons and now at full speed I can do a loop almost as small as with my extra.
And this applies to inverted too, which until now was scary and done at 5 miles up.
Another thing worked is harrier and almost a hover and I am using a brick for a battery. (4s 5000 mAh turnigy)
While I was in programming mode I added to my throttle kill switch (mix 1) full spoilers and full down elevator to cut down on landing roll. Once I touch the runway I flick my mix switch and plane stops rolling in about 15-20 feet.
I also put front gear servo on gear channel, separated from rudder, but mixed with it so I can trim both independently.
I put on the plane 8 flights since and love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
You will be surprised how much difference elevons mix makes. If you got your elevator maxed out you are getting less than half of what it will do with elevons.

You will get more thrill and rush with out getting more speed, which means expense: more cells and different power plant.

Also try my slowing down mix. I don't use it every time, but when there is no room it's huge help. I can land now in places where I flew my prop planes only.
Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
471 Posts
Here is where I place my 5s batteries. Of course I had to hodge a little foam out to get this placement. You can see the two dots on the wing near the root indicating the forward and aft recommended CG. The airframe handles this size battery very well.

FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,312 Posts
Quote:
I came out of a "reverse Immelman" (is there such a thing?). eg Start quite high up (50m?) and roll over to inverted and then do a half loop down to a lowish level flight.
That is called a "Split S"
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:17 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
Here is where I place my 5s batteries. Of course I had to hodge a little foam out to get this placement. You can see the two dots on the wing near the root indicating the forward and aft recommended CG. The airframe handles this size battery very well.

Thanks for showing me. I was able to get it balanced properly without having to move the battery back as far as the rear wall. My problem was I was balancing with the tail piece off as i was doing some mods back there. I has no idea it made such an impact on the balance point.

Problem solved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Sounds good Rob! I will try that first. It has way more than enough aileron travel as it is now, so diverting some of it to elevon won't bother them at all.

Did you use a large mix, or small, or medium? By large I mean sort of like F-35's etc seem to have near 1:1 ratio of aileron to elevator angles. But I can start smallish and try more and more.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good Rob! I will try that first. It has way more than enough aileron travel as it is now, so diverting some of it to elevon won't bother them at all.

Did you use a large mix, or small, or medium? By large I mean sort of like F-35's etc seem to have near 1:1 ratio of aileron to elevator angles. But I can start smallish and try more and more.....
I put my mix on fm1 & fm2 switches.
FM1 is medium and FM2 is 1:1.
I found myself flying on low rates in ail and high on elev.
Most of the time I keep it on FM1.
Good luck.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Rob, I must have missed a fine detail. I am thinking you mean mix the ailerons in the SAME direction as elevator? Which is what most of the 'modern freaky high tech fighters' have, lol. (eg F-35, F-22).

I am heading out with the meteor tomorrow and then thought "If I do it the wrong way it could get ugly!". Though of course would test it up high... and do the dual mix % levels via FM1&2 idea also.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jan 19, 2012 at 06:12 PM.