SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:29 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I don't have a spair saito 125, but do have a 72 and a 56. Wanna buy the 56 and do a twin? I've got the cmp mosquito with two .91s and they stick out quite a bit. Plane flies way over scale with 91s. Two 56s would fit perfect and still fly the plane very nicely. If interested, send me a pm.ill give you a good deal
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:08 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,297 Posts
I just thought I would give you an update and let you know that the flaps worked fine on my repaired Spitty and she flew like a dream. The landing speed is reduced a lot and I still have all the aileron control to fly her nice and smooth.
Overall this airplane is one solid plane now she os fully sheeted and she looks good in the air as well.
Now that I know she flies well I will strip her back and paint her in the colours of the Grey Nurse Spitfires common in northern Australia during the war.
Rod
rodneyf is offline Find More Posts by rodneyf
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:37 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
My CMP Spitfire 50 is getting long in the tooth. The 54g retracts are still working flawlessly.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyf View Post
I just thought I would give you an update and let you know that the flaps worked fine on my repaired Spitty and she flew like a dream. The landing speed is reduced a lot and I still have all the aileron control to fly her nice and smooth.
Overall this airplane is one solid plane now she os fully sheeted and she looks good in the air as well.
Now that I know she flies well I will strip her back and paint her in the colours of the Grey Nurse Spitfires common in northern Australia during the war.
Rod
Congratulations on your Spitty. If you have some photos of your flap mod or anything else please share them with us.
Cheers,
Dick
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:17 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Well, I got to work on the spitfire wing today. I began by opening up the landing gear mounts to accept the HK electric retracts and Warbirds struts.

Then I went to install the servos. They supplied (2) identical covers!

I don't mind so much sanding and finishing the back side, but matching the blue color is my challenge. Does anyone know what color the blue is on the bottom of the wing? I would love to find a close match, perhaps in a Model Masters Acryl, as my LHS stocks that line.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliir View Post
Well, I got to work on the spitfire wing today. I began by opening up the landing gear mounts to accept the HK electric retracts and Warbirds struts.

Then I went to install the servos. They supplied (2) identical covers!

I don't mind so much sanding and finishing the back side, but matching the blue color is my challenge. Does anyone know what color the blue is on the bottom of the wing? I would love to find a close match, perhaps in a Model Masters Acryl, as my LHS stocks that line.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

David
You can take the cover to Lowes and they will match it in latex house paint in a "sample" for you. It'll cost around $4-5. It's more paint thatn you'll need but it'll match. I painted my entire plane in Lowes latex. My Spit is an EP conversion however so if you fly glow I'm not sure if it may need a protective coat of clear something.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Thanks for the idea Cap'n.

My LHS is not particularly (L)ocal, so it would cost more in gas to drive there than purchase from the Lowes about 3 miles away.

BTW - mine is electric too:
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Another question - did you go flat or did you use a slightly less sensitive finish, like eggshell.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:28 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Another question - did you go flat or did you use a slightly less sensitive finish, like eggshell.
You know, I appologize I really can't recall, but I think they may only provide satin or semi gloss anyway. I believe latex house paint is my favorite and the only way to go for me especilly for EP. I't's been so long now and my memory sucks but I think I may have also hit it with Krylon flat too just for added protection.
Let me know if I can be of any help....
Best,
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,211 Posts
This bird has enjoyed a long thread....... sounds like mostly + stuff. I am starting on my fuel model. Powered by a 91 Satio. Futabo S3004 servos. Nothing special. Just looking for a little speed demon Spitty

I put the Eflite 60-120 retracts in her and 2.5 inch tires. The motor is in. I ordered a 3.25 aluminum spinner to fit a 3 blade prop....... I'm about ready to epoxy the wings together. Looking forward to flying this girl.

Any special assembly notes I need to read up on? Problems I should know about?
Thanks in advance!
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:28 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Mine need a lot of weight in the nose, even with the Saito 91
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:43 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
This bird has enjoyed a long thread....... sounds like mostly + stuff. I am starting on my fuel model. Powered by a 91 Satio. Futabo S3004 servos. Nothing special. Just looking for a little speed demon Spitty

I put the Eflite 60-120 retracts in her and 2.5 inch tires. The motor is in. I ordered a 3.25 aluminum spinner to fit a 3 blade prop....... I'm about ready to epoxy the wings together. Looking forward to flying this girl.

Any special assembly notes I need to read up on? Problems I should know about?
Thanks in advance!
Mine is an EP conversion and done a while ago. I can't recall any outstanding problems with the build and think you'll be pleased with it.
Which 3-blade aluminum spinner did you find for it?
Thanks -
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyf View Post
The spitty isrdict starting to look like a plane again.
Have you flown your Spitfire yet ? I'd like to see some photos of your flaps sometime if you could take some photos.
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:56 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,297 Posts
Dick, I had to sit the Spitty for a while as I had an accident where the failsafe did not work and the result was 45 stitches in my right hand and left forearm.
It all started when I left my TX in the hands of a friend and went to retrieve the Spitty after a landing, when I picked the plane up I noticed a little damage on the rudder and reached up to touch the rudder.
I had landed about 100 mtrs from the pits on a grass field and my friend took my reaching for the rudder as the signal I had removed the battery and he turned off my TX for me.
That's when the failsafe failed and the motor went to full throttle in a second and my arm and hand were in the way of a 14x8 wooden prop until my friend realised and turned off the TX.
After the surgery and healing another friend suggested I paint the Spitty in the colours of the Grey Nurse, a Spitty that is famous down here in OZ.
She is all ready to again with some modifications to the electrical system to isolate the motor via an external switch.
The moral of the story is, NEVER TRUST the system KEEP CLEAR OF ALL PROPS!!!!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:03 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the idea Cap'n.

My LHS is not particularly (L)ocal, so it would cost more in gas to drive there than purchase from the Lowes about 3 miles away.

BTW - mine is electric too:
I am using the same motor as you and I am interested in seeing where you put your battery.