New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by HURRICANE FANS
United States, NC, Grifton
Joined Nov 2012
30 Posts
Discussion
25 cell esc......

Misplaced the web address for the company that makes ESC's up to 25 cells. Can anyone provide it for me?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
HURRICANE FANS is offline Find More Posts by HURRICANE FANS
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Air Head
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,335 Posts
Sure but I want one of your fans

Fliermodel only 24 cells though. I have some 24 cell 300 Amp.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by MarkF
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,186 Posts
Yea whats up with your fans? Here is the esc.http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/air...mosfet-esc-hv/

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Dec 21, 2014, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Yea whats up with your fans? Here is the esc.http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/air...mosfet-esc-hv/

Mark
What a strange site.

They are in the UK (as am I) but there are lots of spelling mistakes and their English phraseology is weird, to say the least.

And they are ignoring the EU statutory requirement for a two year minimum warranty. They only offer one year. Not a problem, your legal rights are two years, and the gubment will sue them on your behalf for free (which will take some time, of course). But why try to avoid it? Are they hoping you won't bother?

And they are also trying to place the 'blame' and responsibility for correction for warranty faults on the manufacturer . Under UK law the responsibility is THEIRS, as the seller. This 'We will send it back to the manufacturer" stuff is nonsense. THEY are legally required to fix it or replace it. If they then want to recover it from the manufacturer that is their problem, not yours.

They are not REALLY aliens of course. And if they actually were Martians, if based anywhere in the EU which of course includes the UK, they would still have to obey the law. You, the customer, don't have to live here, the gubment will still sort them out for you for free, as it's not you they are helping, they are putting the seller straight for everyone.

And the ESCs all have their name on them yet they talk of the 'manufacturers warranty' (legally of no concern to you, as above) as it if was someone different, so they are trying to 'fudge'. Won't legally help, but may be another try to make you not bother to do anything.

Would I touch Alien Power Systems? Not going to say as it might be against the rules. Make a guess.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Dec 21, 2014 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by erh7771
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,301 Posts
I've got them, the ESC's are good... I'm testing with one now 16s 200 amp...

I think twin 10s packs are going to make the different in flying big planes too...

If I can get a reliable and nearly low amp (around 120 ish) 20s system (dynamax ?) to give out around P120 ish power (25 - 27lbs) at around 10000 watts or lower then flying 40lb heavy Chinese arfs are not out of the question.

The Ramtec with Scorpion 650 did around 23lbs on the bench so I don't think 4 more lbs of thrust or equivalent energy in influx is out of the question
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,335 Posts
I have some 24 cell 300 Amp controllers but sold my brand new never run Dynamax XPS Pro. I couldn't find any information on anyone running these anywhere close to the advertised 20kW, but my plan was to do that. The XPS Website shows 29 pounds of thrust on 16 cells but doesn't disclose the Wattage. The only 16 cell test run I remember reading about was nothing close. Id like to hear about this running on high cell counts, but perhaps this Hurricane Fan will cut the mustard.

Can we get some of these fans to try out. I have a XPS 20kW Motor.
Last edited by Air Head; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
6,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
I have some 24 cell 300 Amp controllers but sold my brand new never run Dynamax XPS Pro. I couldn't find any information on anyone running these anywhere close to the advertised 20kW, but my plan was to do that. The XPS Website shows 29 pounds of thrust on 16 cells but doesn't disclose the Wattage. The only 16 cell test run I remember reading about was nothing close. Id like to hear about this running on high cell counts, but perhaps this Hurricane Fan will cut the mustard.

Can get some of these fans to try out. I have a XPS 20kW Motor.
I have a 650kv scorpion on a dynamax I'm going to try soon...

The XPS website said it was 200 amps on their 660kv motor so I'm thinking around 12000 watts...

26lbs of thrust is good, I've not seen it on a bench either but the Ramtec did 23lbs of thrust on 12s ~150ish amps so I don't think that's out of the question for the dynamax fan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I've got them, the ESC's are good... I'm testing with one now 16s 200 amp...

I think twin 10s packs are going to make the different in flying big planes too...

If I can get a reliable and nearly low amp (around 120 ish) 20s system (dynamax ?) to give out around P120 ish power (25 - 27lbs) at around 10000 watts or lower then flying 40lb heavy Chinese arfs are not out of the question.

The Ramtec with Scorpion 650 did around 23lbs on the bench so I don't think 4 more lbs of thrust or equivalent energy in influx is out of the question
I'm not saying they aren't any good. I'm saying they are doing a lot of 'ducking and diving'.

Large EDFs are getting silly. There was a point when they were significantly lower cost than a turbine. Now they aren't. Not with the cost of the fancy chargers added, and the fairly limited life/high cost of the batteries. high priced ESCs, etc.

And they are so HEAVY. Don't forget a turbine plane lands a lot lighter than when it took off. An EDF doesn't. The turbine plane is often lighter to start with too.

Have a look at even Bob Violett pussyfooting around with the BVM 90 inch A10 twin EDF at the video on the BVM site.. It's so heavy that he can't do anything 'fun' with it. It's a real lump, MUCH clumsier than a REAL A10.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2005
6,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell View Post
I'm not saying they aren't any good. I'm saying they are doing a lot of 'ducking and diving'...
Yeah, looked at the site and there's tons of caveats there... I wonder how those compare in the UK to other ESC makers...

Quote:
Large EDFs are getting silly. There was a point when they were significantly lower cost than a turbine. Now they aren't.
P100 pushes thrust in the low 20s... JF120 can do that now with 450usd esc\fan\motor and through in 8000mah pack and it's in the 650 700usd range and ones doesn't need to be a balance expert to get them to run true...

If a person doesn't want to DIY the price jumps to 800 including packs for the low 20s... HK chargers are some of the best tested for those who don't want IR testing and regenerative discharge etc ... I can do 40 amp charges on 8s with them all day... 200 for two...

For the low 20 static thrust EDF has got turbine beat in cost to static thrust, big jet performance?

We'll see.... soon

Quote:
The turbine plane is often lighter to start with too.
Got some turbine planes... they're heavier... each one of them than an equivalent sized edf mostly because European rules on wing loading with turbines and they often design for edge cases IMHO...

If the jet can't take being ran over by a F250 truck and by flight ready then it's called junk

Quote:
...Have a look at even Bob Violett pussyfooting around with the BVM 90 inch A10 twin EDF at the video on the BVM site.. It's so heavy that he can't do anything 'fun' with it. It's a real lump, MUCH clumsier than a REAL A10.
What fans did he have in it?

XPS pushed a 33lb SM Viper to 200mph 3 years ago with their fans... I don't see why the 150s for a similar weighted no sport plane can't be done

I'm going to be putting one in a XL soon... XL needs 20lbs of static to push good and the rest should be efflux... hopefully in the 220s to get around 150 - 160 passes with 5 - 8 min flight times...

This is some nasty flying here... 15s dynamax

video-2011-08-27-12-24-11.mp4 (1 min 9 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,773 Posts
erh7771,

British ESCs? We don't make anything anymore, not even kitchen towels, I noticed (except the nice Wren turbines). Even Rolls Royce cars are German.

Weight? My little Wren 44 Gold makes my black horse Viperjet a pound lighter for a longer duration. And its two pounds lighter on landing. Cost (UK pounds) 1550. Jetfan v2/Hacker E50, 2 sets of TP 12S 3850 G8 70C batteries/OS 1100HV ESC plus very useful programmer/TP 1430 Charger/field charging batteries 1300 UK pounds. not too much in it. And FAR less 'faffing around'. 2x12 volt big lead acid leisure charging batteries, are an example, as is fooling around with 'storage charging' . I don't have any other turbine experience.

The Wren is only in it temporarily. It's going in a scale Bell-X2 as it only needs a small intake. The real one didn't have any intakes at all of course . But I think I can get away with a pair of small NACA flush ducts. Hopefully no one will notice if I put them, one each side, half way between the centerline and the underside - we are not great experts on the Bell X-2 here anyway. Why? It's pretty, it's got a totally circular fuselage except for the extreme tail end and a faired in fuel/controls duct top and bottom so is simple, it's got much more wing area than you might expect, I like white planes, and the early US rocket plane pilots are my aviation heroes

Bob Violett uses a pair of his own EVF3 12S. Its impressive but doesn't look any fun.

I liked the video, thanks for that. I see you can't move without tripping over a Viperjet either. They're like a plague of locusts here too
Last edited by Mark Powell; Dec 21, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
6,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell View Post
... sets of TP 12S 3850 G8 70C batteries/.....TP 1430 Charger/field charging batteries ...

That's 3/4 of the cost...

Quote:
....I liked the video, thanks for that. I see you can't move without tripping over a Viperjet either. They're like a plague of locusts here too
yeap, they're really easy flyers ... the one in the vid is going 200mph...

IINM the guy is still getting 6 - 8 min flights
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2014, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,335 Posts
Those Alien ESC's look like the ones I have from Fliermodel, made by the same company that made them for Fightercat. My guess is they're from the same manufacturer.
Last edited by Air Head; Dec 23, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by icicles
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
702 Posts
Looks like the same horse just a different jockey to me.

Chris
icicles is online now Find More Posts by icicles
Old Dec 23, 2014, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Chris True
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
9,293 Posts
You guys are hilarious

"I had one but I sold it", "I couldn't find any info", "they have to warranty it for two years" LOL!

Ya can't find any info cause it doesn't exist. You are on your own boys, set up some candidates behind a block wall and test way. Bring money, LOT'S of money
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Dec 23, 2014, 05:38 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,335 Posts
"You guys are hilarious"

Chris is that pointed at me in any way? I'm not connecting the dots if it is.