Old May 13, 2015, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
any modifications or changes to the airfoil to make it better in weak shallow beach slopes other than just build it light you can recomend?

For the light versions I make them without fuselage to reduse drag.
No wing spar and ailerons and fin in 3 mm depron.
And fin suported with a 2 mm cfk rod.
4xAA flat battery, + a bit of lead.
Works great

90 cm and 120 cm span

Indoor towing (2 min 19 sec)

Wiesel light, dune flying. (2 min 20 sec)

Wiesel, Light version (1 min 2 sec)

Wisel 1,2 m slopeflying. (2 min 7 sec)

Cheers
S
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,612 Posts
We've used this airfoil with great success.........................

Keeps moving in light lift, fast and penetrates well with ballast. As well as good for all aerobatics.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
Old May 13, 2015, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by charlieuk
United Kingdom, The City of Brighton and Hove
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
cheers many thanks for that will have to give that try also. i don't suppose you have a image of the foils scaled to size? do you use any washout with that foil in the tip
?
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Old May 13, 2015, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,624 Posts
I think it's typical to use a degree or two of washout on planks and flying wings. I'm no aerodynamics expert but I think it lessens tip stalling tendancies and helps with yaw stability? (someone please correct me if I've got that wrong).

Charlie you should download the Profili II software if you're going to do much wing cutting. It's not free but very inexpensive, and very useful. You can scale and print templates for any airfoil you want. Hundreds in the database already (including that EH 1/9 above) or you can add others that are published on the web. Lots of other options too, for comparing and modifying foils, generating polar graphs and other stuff I don't understand

The PW51 seems to be the "gold standard" of plank airfoils, used on many commercial and scratchbuilt planks. And the PW1211 is a thinner foil designed for discus launched planks. But Soren's original Wisel airfoil seems to work great...countless happy Wisel fliers can't be wrong!

- Jim
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old May 13, 2015, 05:32 PM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
cheers many thanks that program looks interesting especially with the addition of being able to cut moulds on my cnc which could be cool.
Old May 13, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,612 Posts
If you change anything, I'm sure the guarantee will be voided.

It's best to build first as the designer intended and get the proper results, then add your own twist to compare. That way you'll see if it's improved or not. Just keep in mind the everything to do with aeronautics is a compromise.......................'gain here and you'll loose something over there'.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
Old May 20, 2015, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
My first wisel is complete weighing in at 200grams however that is with two metal digital servos and a full range rx and some extra reinforcement. Test In the garden are promising as it easily out flew the hole 50m length from a throw
Old May 20, 2015, 07:07 AM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,624 Posts
What airfoil did you end up using?

- Jim
Old May 20, 2015, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
I think it was the one in the original post with the ruler printed on it for scale. I cut it from 1.5lbs foam so maybe a little denser than normal insulation eps. I tend to have a lot of foam of cuts from my day job of cutting surfboards and standup paddle boards on my cnc this is what I'm standing over watching at the moment.
Old May 20, 2015, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
so i had a bit of a throw around this eve and it really does fly great and looking forward to getting it on the beach and fly the sea front and try a few ds spots. i did have a few problems and that was i forgot how bad my duff shoulder is and conventional throwing is not good for me at all, so i gave it a few under arm tip launches and i was getting about the same hight although the tip did start to crack a little so may need to address that problem some how. the other one was after a few missed catches the nose of the fuz is already starting to pay th price so perhaps it need one out of pep and perhaps eve maybe do the leading edge also or maybe do the hole thing in xps?
Old May 20, 2015, 05:18 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,624 Posts
Nice machine!

On my small DLGs and SAL designs I put a small patch of adhesive-backed 220g sandpaper on top and bottom of the wingtip I launch with....gives a better grip so you won't have to squeeze so hard and crush the foam.

Goldguy armors his leading edges with weedwhacker string embedded in the L.E. Never tried it myself, but it sounds like a good, simple solution. I've always wondered if you could make XPS wing blanks with EPP or Minicell foam leading edges laminated on, then cut the wing. I guess there would be some problems with different melting temps for the different foams.

- Jim
Old May 20, 2015, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
the old zaggis used to have a epp leading edge, i think if you set the bow up right with a semi automated method i.e. weights and pulleys it should be ok. i will try one with xps and eps and see what happens. I saw you said about the sand paper else were so i did put some on the fuz and it worked a treat. i think maybe a little extra tape and maybe a little balsa should spend the load for tip launches.

what i would really like to do is to utilise the cnc more and cut come moulds to make some very light all glass ones but I'm not the best on cad and don't have a proper cam program for doing creating g code other than for my boards.
Old May 24, 2015, 06:49 AM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
Yesterday I had it on the bungee and couldn't believe how slow you can turn this thing in thermals! It behaves so well, the lift was almost non existent but I still found two small bubbles that have me a min or two so looking forward to more of that! Then had it on the beach this morning in some mega light conditions and it just about held it's own unfortunately not enough wind to ds.