HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:50 AM
Not Right In The Head...
Stuart Fla
Joined Jan 2007
717 Posts
Discussion
Falcon 3 D "Bird of Play" Owners Plus

Welcome all to the Falcon 3D owner thread. If you don’t own an F-3D that is fine with us, we’re here to get help and offer help on the RC issue’s that come up. Many of us as I am, are new to RC Heli’s and could use the help on a variety of RC do’s and don’ts.
This thread was born from two reviews of the F-3D and now has its own home here. The group thus far, is light hearted fun owners and that is the intention here. We joke, and enjoy this hobby and the Falcon as we learn what is up and mostly down and how to remove the main rotor head from the wife’s lamp without further damaging the blade holders.
Yes the Falcon 3D is not perfect, however I believe that it is well worth the money and a perfect heli for the beginner and advanced flyer. For me, if I broke mine to the point of no repair, I would order another F-3D without hesitation. I’m sure many here on will relay the same sediment. The purpose here is to relate our problems and our fixes and share our knowledge and upgrades to the others. Before long I think we will see paint schemes and video’s of the wife’s lamp eating rotor wash…

So welcome and a special welcome to the old timers of RC (although they may be young old timers) that wish to offer help and join in the fun! Thanks for looking in and enjoy the read, and mostly enjoy the sport!

Doug

PS… Please don’t relay and such video’s to your own wife, which in turn will get posted on her baking and sewing forum, which will get to the poor guy’s wife and land him in the dog house for years for lying about the rampaging sparrow that flew through the open slider and took out her vintage lamp!

NOTE::: Latest version of the Falcon 3D Service Manual V4 Word Doc and PDF
Is on page 160 Post # 2394 Or the direct link to that page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...42411&page=160
HawksEye is offline Find More Posts by HawksEye
Last edited by HawksEye; Jun 21, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2007, 04:26 AM
Everyone crashes sometime
Orlando, FL and Washington D.C.
Joined May 2006
1,427 Posts
Excellent group name and I do look forward to a robust group of versatile owners who are willing to share their ideas and praises as well as trials and tribulations with the Falcon 3D. Let's help and encourage the newbies and try to ignore those who insist on slamming as we know it is just their nature.

For the money it is an excellent bird and has lots of potential to become a significant player in the mini field. Competition is all around but that is what makes for a a better product in the long run. Hopefully the manufacturer will step up to the plate and provide us with quality parts and support just as Hobby Lobby has done as the distributor.

So lets get going... and git 'er done.

Carl
quickster47 is offline Find More Posts by quickster47
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:19 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
FWIW I believe the falcon 3D = Mini Pred 3D in UK..
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Feb 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
10 Degrees Off Center
LaVergne,TN (Just South Of Nashville)
Joined Nov 2006
42 Posts
Great start Hawks!
What is considered "Beyond Repair"? I thought mine was until I located a guy with a graveyard box full of old, defective Falcons. It sure didn't cost much to repair after a trip to my LHS and they put me in contact with the guy.
BTW, I'm looking to morf the Falcon into a "Scale" heli. I've already talked to a couple of people about a Ranger 222 body for the Falcon. What I'm really lookin for is an Apache for my bird.
Will tell y'all what I come up with later.
Congrats on the new thread Hawks. I hope it turns into something as big as the other Falcon threads.

Chuck aka RenegadeFA*E
RenegadeFAE is offline Find More Posts by RenegadeFAE
Old Feb 14, 2007, 09:31 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
I agree, the Falcon is a fantastic bird for the money, I now have three of them, they are like Lays potato chips, betcha can't have just one! I'm also doing testing on a new version, can't say much other than once it's done you will be very pleased!!! Renegade, hope we can get together soon and fly some, maybe this coming weekend the weather will be warm enough to fly.

Gary Morris
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
Not Right In The Head...
Stuart Fla
Joined Jan 2007
717 Posts
Beyond repair...... Slamming into the wife's car as she drives up to the house and the UPS guy.....delivering the upgrade parts, runs it over....... maybe. Thanks all, and we are off to a start. Thanks Gary, for comming over and for the review thread that we grew from...

For those who don't yet have a Falcon 3d, Please check over all the settings before your first flight. It can be done while the battery charges. My most important bit of info to relate. RTF (ready to fly) doesn't always mean that. shipping bounces ect.... I would think this info would be good no matter what RTF you bought!!!

Doug
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
Joined Feb 2007
9 Posts
I only have time on fs one I just purchased the falcon.Seeing I know nothing I waas wondering if there is a list of stuff to check before I make my maiden flight or hover(lol).Thinking of ord ering some extra aluminium upgrades what do I order.Also what do people recomend I pratice with on fs one to be comparable to the falcon.I have good hand I coordination and picked up on most of the diff orintations of flying inverted backwards and all the fun stuff.............thks
kmbgolf is offline Find More Posts by kmbgolf
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
Not Right In The Head...
Stuart Fla
Joined Jan 2007
717 Posts
Hey KM The best thing is to check all the screws ect... linkages. Balance the blades. If you got your falcon from Hobby lobby, on the falcon detail page down by the video's is a review link. I cant remember if it was Gary Morris (Above ) that wrote that one but he has done one as well. Click his nick and look for it under threads by. There is good info on set-up in the review, linked off Hobby lobby.... fact is it takes you back here.... I just dont know how to give you the link. Just look it over carefully and start slow.

And enjoy!!!!!

Doug
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:40 PM
Not Right In The Head...
Stuart Fla
Joined Jan 2007
717 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559202

Hope this works..... It was Jim Young that wrote this one.... From HL Pictures and all.....
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:32 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
There is also a section in the new manual that I wrote about preflight checklist, it covers all the basic stuff, I just noticed on the most recent Falcon I bought it has the picture I took of mine on the cover, makes me feel humble!

Gary Morris
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:47 PM
Not Right In The Head...
Stuart Fla
Joined Jan 2007
717 Posts
I wish the Art Tech people would open up and comment here. One option I would have gone for would be an upgrade in electronics. I'm shure they could cut a deal with Futaba or someone to offer such a package. The low cost unit they offer is great but this bird could be so much more for those who wish to spend the dollars. Well at least they are shooting in the right direction with the SE version, when it gets worked out.

I'm still looking for a company that offers better push rod conectors. For this size bird they have to be small. It seems that everyone is using the same type push on eyes and z-bend rods. So to me it looks like an industry issue not just the Falcon.

I would just like some security. Knowing they wont come off in flight. Counter threaded rods would be nice, so you could ajust without removing them. Just some thoughts.....

I know...... Give him an inch ..... he then wants a mile...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:17 PM
10 Degrees Off Center
Joined Nov 2006
42 Posts
Doug,
I think if Art-Tech would do something like that...It would drive the cost of the Falcon up to the point where people would go with a T-rex or something like it.
I found my Spektrum DX-6 at a LHS cheap. I'm just still too chicken...uh %#$@ to install the reciever and try it witout some help...lol
Gary, I would love to try and get together this weekend, but I may need to go out of town and tend to my Mom. She's having surgery today and will be in the hospital for the next ten days or so. I'm just waiting on pay day to go.

Chuck aka RenegadeFA*E
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:29 PM
Not Right In The Head...
Stuart Fla
Joined Jan 2007
717 Posts
Yes it would go up a bit..... But with a deal it wouldn't be that bad. My Futaba 6exh was only 139 and it came with the receiver and servo's. I have it installed now and currently experimenting with the curve ajustments. Then comes the gyro ajustments. It wasn't to bad installing the receiver...and I moved it as well to get it away from the ESC. It worked with the stock ESC but I changed it anyway to an e-flight unit. Only diference so far is the 0 to motor spinning start up. Or maybe you could call it softstart portion.

Hope your Mom gets well. I hate hospitals and just went through hell with my Mom and my Garandmother passing within a months time......
Best wishes
Doug
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
10 Degrees Off Center
Joined Nov 2006
42 Posts
Thanks Doug,
I forgot to mention....that's beyond repair!!! lol
I may be out of the area for awhile, but rest assured, I'll be back. Taking laptop and Falcon with me to Alabama while Mom recovers. I lost my Dad at the same hospital right after hurricane Katrina, so I'm not so sure about how Mom will fair.
Anyway, I hope to get some fly time in while in God's country.

Take care and God bless,

Chuck aka RenegadeFA*E
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:19 PM
Everyone crashes sometime
Orlando, FL and Washington D.C.
Joined May 2006
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksEye
I'm still looking for a company that offers better push rod conectors. For this size bird they have to be small. It seems that everyone is using the same type push on eyes and z-bend rods. So to me it looks like an industry issue not just the Falcon.

I would just like some security. Knowing they wont come off in flight. Counter threaded rods would be nice, so you could ajust without removing them. Just some thoughts.....

I know...... Give him an inch ..... he then wants a mile...
Okay, this is what I'm using on my Falcon to replace the z-bend wires and thus remove lots of the slop in the linkages.

Ball set
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1215

Linkage set
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1214

Screw bag
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=532

Carl
quickster47 is offline Find More Posts by quickster47