HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Question
Sources for materials (Depron, Gediplac & carbon)

The cost of depron locally seems ridiculous to me (€10.50 per sheet for 3mm ). Indoor flying seems to be gaining some interest here in Ireland so I'm considering importing a bale of depron between several flyers instead of buying individual sheets here.
Can anyone suggest a source in Europe for buying depron in bulk? (couldn't very well get individual sheets sent by post!!)

I've also come across mention of a slightly lighter material called Gediplac on some of the threads. Is there any downside to this material? Presumably it's a little less rigid? Is the surface similar? Do you use the same adhesives?
Can anyone suggest a source in Europe for buying Gediplac in bulk?

Finally - I can get hold of carbon rod and strip but tube stock is not always easy to get and it seems worthwhile for F3P style planes where weight and rigidity are critical.
Can anyone suggest a source in Europe for buying carbon tube?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
www.high-torque.de sells full 40 sheet boxes of 3mm original Depron (1250 x 800 mm sheet size). It costs 98 euro including shipping within Germany. Added postage for other countries:
BEL, NED, LUX, DEN, AUT: +12 euro
FRA, GBR, ITA: +18 euro
SWE, ESP: +28 euro
FIN: +25.70 euro

They also sell some carbon but no tubes. You can find carbon tubes at several places, for example www.lipoly.de

As far as gediplac goes, Iīll be interested in hearing about it from someone who knows.

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Thanks for the quick answer Erik. That sounds like a BIG saving if I can find a few others who're interested. Shipping to Ireland will probably be similar to UK so that would work out at ~€3 per sheet .

Aidan
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Do a search in the foamies forum. There are quite a few suppliers of Depron in the UK including several people who sell it by the box.

--
Dave

[edit]
I use fibretechgb.co.uk for my glass supplies. They also do a good range of carbon fibre bits.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I'll have a look at the UK suppliers. I lived in England for a year ending last September and I found the model shop prices there are almost as bad as Ireland. I'm thinking that if I'm getting it posted there probably won't be a big shipping cost difference between the UK and Germany or France. I'll check out the UK suppliers but I expect it may still be cheaper to get it from Germany or France. I'll let you know. The one problem with German companies is that they often don't take credit cards and you need to get an invoice then transfer funds before the shipment is sent. I bought some servos and other bits from www.Lipoly.de last year and that was what I had to do. It's fine if you're not in a hurry but it's a pity it's not simpler and quicker. However on the plus side the prices and range at that particular company are excellent.

Aidan
Last edited by Aio_1; Feb 15, 2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
I was thinking more of the suppliers who sell it by the box for it's original use (well one of them anyway). Worked out quite cheap.

Model shops do tend to be pricey. Guess they buy it the same way and add a bit. At the end of the day it's not meant to be a building material

--
Dave
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms
I was thinking more of the suppliers who sell it by the box for it's original use (well one of them anyway). Worked out quite cheap.

Model shops do tend to be pricey. Guess they buy it the same way and add a bit. At the end of the day it's not meant to be a building material
Very true.
What exactly is it's main use? I doubt it's used for insulation or signage. Is the flat sheet formed into packaging containers etc?
I'm not entirely clear whether depron is a thermoplastic or a thermosetting plastic.

Aidan
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:16 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
Flat Depron (the brand) is actually used mainly for displays.
3d_Crazy is offline Find More Posts by 3d_Crazy
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:25 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
The original depron used in europe (sold in boxes of 40 sheets or 20 sheets, depending on if itīs 3mm or 6mm), is an insulation material used under floors. Most stores here in Sweden only stocks the black (grey) version but some have got the white as well. On the boxes it clearly says what it is for. The full sheet size is 1250x800mm if itīs the original that we use. There are many similar foam materials but many are heavier and not really useful at all for indoor planes imho (10-15% heavier than the real depron with the green "Depron" words printed on it).

But then again depron is used for many things (the brand that is). Like display boards for example like mentioned. But the type that has always been used here in europe to build planes, is the insulation.

/Erik
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:13 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
Thats what I thought too. When my friend started up DepronTexas we had the description of depron as an insulation sheet made from recycled material. Then we got an e-mail from Depron.

"Thank you for your interest in Depron Display sheets..."

"Further we have some remarks about the text you use at your internetsite.
Depron white is not an insulation sheet nor produced out of recycled material, but it is a homogeneous polystyrene sheet used for mainly promotional activities.
There is a difference between the white and grey/black sheet regarding the cell structure and the application the sheet is originally produced for.

We friendly ask you to change this text because otherwise people would get a wrong impression about the material."

So it looks like to me, white depron is used for "promotional activities", aka "Display Sheets". Grey Depron might be used for insulation?

Tim
e-foamies.com
Old Feb 17, 2006, 04:25 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Maybe that is true for the sheets he (and you?) is selling? But as for the white and black depron used is Europe, itīs definately both insulation. I have two boxes of white depron right here and the both say that. I hope that maybe Jurgen can chime in with a correct translation, but I know enough german to tell that itīs without a doubt some kind of insulation.

Iīm attaching two pics, first one is of the box and the secound one is of the green depron print that is printed all along the center line of the sheet on one side. All these original insulation depron sheets has this green print.

/Erik
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:48 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
I'm just letting you know what the guy said from Depron. My friend imported it directly from Depron (http://www.depron.nl/) in HUGE quantity.

Here is what the Depron website says depron is used for.

Renovation - Insulation

Depron wall insulation panels are cold- and damp resistant and can consequently lead to considerable savings on your energy costs. Depron insulation boards improve your in-house climate: warm and dry, everywhere in your house.

Depron IsoProtect boards are the ideal under flooring panels for parquet floors, laminate and floor heating.

Sign – Hobby - Model building

Depron display- and foamboard panels are especially developed for further use in graphical industries, scale modelling and model building. The purposes of this material almost seem unlimited: let your creativity flow freely!

So you are probably right. They sent us the Depron Display sheets, and you are using the Depron Insulation sheets. What is the difference? I don't know!

Tim
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:06 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
In France I buy it in the DIY shop for wall insualtion. My parents house has it glued all over the internal walls. Wallpapered over the top.

Here in the UK it is used for underfloor insualtion on high end laminate floors. Was trying to avoid doing the searching myself as this question is asked every few months.

http://www.floorheatingsystems.co.uk/ is one such supplier of Depron by the box. They even know about it's use in modelling :-)

--
Dave
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:09 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Just revisited the site and they so obviously had so many enquires regarding modelling they have a sub site just for us. They used to just sell the grey but now have white as well.

--
Dave

[edit] The usage of the name Depron gets confusing as it is not so much the foam as the brandname of the company making it. A bit like calling all styrofoams DOW.

The white stuff with the green Depron logo isn't half as nice as the white stuff I buy from Flitehook here in the UK but is what is used in France (even seen the logo under the printing on some kits )
Last edited by wildpalms; Feb 18, 2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:08 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
The printing quickly disappears with a piece of cloth and some rubbing alcohol.

/Erik