SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:24 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
Question
Plated vs Non-plated connectors?

Is there really much of a difference between plated and non-plated connectors? I like to cut my wires down to size and typically just install new connectors and use the old housing on the trimmed wire lead.

I see gold-plated connectors on ebay from China but recently I needed some quickly and could only find non-plated connectors in the U.S. They definitely feel and look different but so far are crimping and holding wire just the same. I guess my primary concern is corrosion?
the.ronin is online now Find More Posts by the.ronin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:39 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
979 Posts
Gold flashing is used to reduce the risk of degradation of the connector due to oxidation and other chemical action.

I would alawys try and use gold plated connectors - the gold on some is too thin but that is another problem.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
Is there really much of a difference between plated and non-plated connectors? I like to cut my wires down to size and typically just install new connectors and use the old housing on the trimmed wire lead.

I see gold-plated connectors on ebay from China but recently I needed some quickly and could only find non-plated connectors in the U.S. They definitely feel and look different but so far are crimping and holding wire just the same. I guess my primary concern is corrosion?
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:58 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
Thanks Peter. Great insight.
the.ronin is online now Find More Posts by the.ronin
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:26 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Seddon View Post
Gold flashing is used to reduce the risk of degradation of the connector due to oxidation and other chemical action.

I would alawys try and use gold plated connectors - the gold on some is too thin but that is another problem.

Peter
I second that. Back in the early days of personal computers, the Radio Shack TRS-80 was prone to lock ups that were traced to using keyboard connectors that were tin plated. Tandy switched to gold plating and the lock ups stopped.
Oldgazer is offline Find More Posts by Oldgazer