HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Help!
Changing The Orientation Of An AS3X Brick

I have a brick from a UMX Habu...Those of you that have this plane know that the brick is mounted on its side, with the brick mounted "vertically"...Most of the UMX planes have the brick mounted flat as per the Beast, Sbach, etc...

My question is---How do you change the orientation of the brick???...I want to put this brick in a GP Sabre to convert it to AS3X...To do so using the Habu brick you MUST mount the brick on its side as per the Habu...I have this figured out with the Sabre but still want to know how to change the orientation to lay the brick flat for future use in other planes...

Anyone know if you can change the orientation from vertical to flat mounted???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Sorry, can't help you on the orientation thing, but I'm curious as to how you made a vertical mount work on the F-86(or did I misunderstand you?). also wondering if you went with 1 or 2 aileron servos. Hyperflow fan?

I'm a rudder servo away from completing my conversion(p/u tomorrow!), so basically, I'm curious about how you approached the project as a whole.

Thanks for the useful info too, Good to know that as3x is available in vertical. I dont follow the Habu threads, so didn't know about this.

Good luck with your question, and your maiden!
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Last edited by airfoil'd; Sep 10, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:37 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Kevin,

If you use the USB programmer and the basic programmer software offered with it, you can load the configuration file for a know-flat mounting orientation and you're good to go. The MiG15 setup file should get you close.

If you need to fine-tune the AS3X gyros you can use the V2 setup software and make many more adjustments. I'm sure you already know about that software but if not I'll dig up a link for it a little later.

FYI: I have two GP F86 jets coming too
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
Sorry, can't help you on the orientation thing, but I'm curious as to how you made a vertical mount work on the F-86(or did I misunderstand you?). also wondering if you went with 1 or 2 aileron servos. Hyperflow fan?

I'm a rudder servo away from completing my conversion(p/u tomorrow!), so basically, I'm curious about how you approached the project as a whole.

Thanks for the useful info too, Good to know that as3x is available in vertical. I dont follow the Habu threads, so didn't know about this.

Good luck with your question, and your maiden!
I cut a slot in the intake duct with the brick mounted at an angle..This puts the VR protruding through the duct and into the air flow...I had to cut a small slot in the base of the cockpit deck so that the canopy would fit... Going with separate aileron servos as per the MiG...

I'm at work now and don't know when I can get pics or even work on it again before the weekend......Working 6 days a week and my evenings get filled up to the brim with activities---Today, after work, my oldest son has cross-country practice, youngest has baseball practice, and this evening I help out my wife teaching "Sunday school" at the church to a gaggle of 3 and 4 year olds...By the time I get home it's time for bed...Then get up the next morning and start all over with work, track meet, batting practice, etc...

Kevin
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-headcase View Post
Kevin,

If you use the USB programmer and the basic programmer software offered with it, you can load the configuration file for a know-flat mounting orientation and you're good to go. The MiG15 setup file should get you close.

If you need to fine-tune the AS3X gyros you can use the V2 setup software and make many more adjustments. I'm sure you already know about that software but if not I'll dig up a link for it a little later.

FYI: I have two GP F86 jets coming too
I never did download the software...I would greatly appreciate the link!!!

Kevin
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I never did download the software...I would greatly appreciate the link!!!

Kevin
Okay, here's a link to a thread and very detailed set of instructions needed to correctly install the programmer software if Windows Vista or 7 is the OS. It's what I followed and went without a hitch:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976834

Within that thread, on page two, post 19 is the link to download the software. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
I feel ya on the "no chance for hands-on hobbying" thing. I typically only get that every couple of weeks, work keeps me away from home. Time isn't a problem, its just not practical where I usually am. Its cool that all the extra-curricular activities you mentioned involve time with family, but yeah, those extra work days are taxing after awhile.
That was a pretty decent description of your approach, thanks again. I'll have to check the specs on the Habu board for future use, might end up with an excuse to buy one after all...
I was hoping you were gonna say "1 aileron servo", guess I'll have to find out for myself! Hope both birds fly well, the little differences between them will probably make for added insight. I've read of one other person who did the conversion. He said he'd do it again, but slide the rx further ahead for balance issues. Mine lays directly behind/touching the stock lipo, which is crammed at the front of its opening. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Since I'm going with 3S I don't think that I'll have balance issues...I forgot to tell ya that I'm going to use the GP Hyperflow fan for now as it naturally fits perfectly in the duct...The HH fan will need duct modification and moved rearward to fit perfectly in the duct as it is a 28mm fan vs the GP which has a 30mm fan...

Kevin
Old Sep 12, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Yeah, slid the HH fan around in the 86 for about 3 seconds to decide that I didnt want to take that on. Reduction profile is off. The weight difference in fan units is a real consideration too, but with the heavier as3x board and a 3s up front, I would think less so..
Are you going into the extra port on the Habu board with the Hyperflow's stock esc? This is my planned aproach, but I'm a little uncertain of process. To start, thought I would use a servo wire end from a spektrum servo (Brown Red Orange leads) to replace the Hyperflow esc's plug end(White Red Black leads). Do I solder them accordingly(Br-W, R-R, O-Bl ), or is there cross-over issues involved?
Hope I'm not pulling the thread too far from the orientation topic, which seems to be resolving... but I do hope you do a flight report on your Habu/F86 somewhere?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, slid the HH fan around in the 86 for about 3 seconds to decide that I didnt want to take that on. Reduction profile is off. The weight difference in fan units is a real consideration too, but with the heavier as3x board and a 3s up front, I would think less so..
Are you going into the extra port on the Habu board with the Hyperflow's stock esc? This is my planned aproach, but I'm a little uncertain of process. To start, thought I would use a servo wire end from a spektrum servo (Brown Red Orange leads) to replace the Hyperflow esc's plug end(White Red Black leads). Do I solder them accordingly(Br-W, R-R, O-Bl ), or is there cross-over issues involved?
Hope I'm not pulling the thread too far from the orientation topic, which seems to be resolving... but I do hope you do a flight report on your Habu/F86 somewhere?
I'm just going to solder the motor wires from the stock brick to the GP motor, using the ESC on the brick...No external ESC will be needed is what I'm thinking.....Before permanently soldering and using heat shrink on the motor wires just make sure that the motor is rotating correctly...If the fan/motor runs backwards, just reverse/swap any of the two of the three leads and the motor will reverse...

Don't worry about pulling the thread off topic---It's my thread and I'm a very understanding guy and not a stickler to keeping the thread on topic!!!......

I WILL start a new thread with the mods to the Sabre for 3S and AS3X ops but until then continue to post your questions in this thread............

Kevin
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Additionally, I have some servo covers on order from the Micro Stryker...4 of them are about $4 when discounted as per Advantage Hobby...I will use these on the aileron servos for protection as the Sabre's wing is mounted on the bottom vs the mid-wing mount of the wing on the MiG....

Kevin
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Didn't somebody state that the on-board esc won't run the Hyperflow unit? It would be great if I was wrong about reading that!!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Didn't somebody state that the on-board esc won't run the Hyperflow unit? It would be great if I was wrong about reading that!!
I don't see why it won't run the Hyperflow fan as both the GP and HH fan units draw about the same power/amps....It's all about amp draw vs what the stock ESC on the brick can handle...And about cooling...When I post the mods to the F-86 in a separate thread you will see that the VR will have an ample supply of cool air...The FETs will have air flow on them with the cooling air supply from the hole I'll drill in the canopy of the Sabre with exit holes as per the later versions of the MiG and the new Habu...

Kevin
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:56 AM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Regarding access to the fan unit in the Sabre; what's the cleanest way to split its fuse open? Both my new Sabres vibrate far, far worse than any Habu 180 or UMX MiG see to date. The access to the fan is pretty poor but I'm tempted to reach in from the tailpipe and try adding dots of glue to the blades in an effort to improve the running qualities. Guess there's a dedicated GP F-86 thread somewhere that discusses such issues.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
I cut the nose ring off vertically, mostly because it was already badly damaged. Otherwise, bi-sect fuse laterally at seams, separating top from bottom. There is an aileron servo wire that runs up (the pilots) right side of the fuse. It crosses from the bottom to the top just behind the 8ball express decal, cut carefully(I just snipped mine). There are 2 layers of foam to cut through, the fuse shell and the duct itself. Carefully separate fan unit from fuse bottom. its installed with 2 sided tape.