SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:07 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2003
202 Posts
Help!
RFM Offset Yoke & Spinner

I have & setting up a RFM Offset Yoke & Carbon Spinner with RFM 17 x 13 prop.

Does the Offset put more pitch in the Blades?

How do I know if it's a +5 or +7 degree Offset?

Thanks, Paul.
paulywood is offline Find More Posts by paulywood
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
I think that you may be confusing offset with twist in the yoke, they are two separate things I believe.

The offset, when the yoke is an "S" shape when viewed from the front, is simply to make the prop blades sit flatter against the fuse, making the folded blades more streamlined than what they would be without the offset. F5B planes use these frequently. It doesn't change the pitch at all

Twist would make the blades pivot not in line with the fuse, so for a high performance plane, you should avoid it I would think. I'm not sure about this last point.

A call to Soaring USA should get you the answer. Talk to Gary or Bob.

R,
target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2003
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I think that you may be confusing offset with twist in the yoke, they are two separate things I believe.

The offset, when the yoke is an "S" shape when viewed from the front, is simply to make the prop blades sit flatter against the fuse, making the folded blades more streamlined than what they would be without the offset. F5B planes use these frequently. It doesn't change the pitch at all

Twist would make the blades pivot not in line with the fuse, so for a high performance plane, you should avoid it I would think. I'm not sure about this last point.

A call to Soaring USA should get you the answer. Talk to Gary or Bob.

R,
target
Thanks, target
I've been doing my research.
Paul
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
I saw that Paul.
Its interesting that the terms seem to be the opposite to what would be logical.
You have forced me to learn about something I would never have, and for that, I thank you! :-)

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Feb 2003
202 Posts
Keep learning my son, I always do.
pauly