HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:26 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Hi Pete*
The video above IS a park hawk...an park hawk 3. The guy just threw that name out there or something . Sean and I spoke on that very video years ago and he noticed that the tail was angled way up. He said to me (Sean) at that time that he was going to try to find out who that guy was and send him some shorter con rods. The park hawk flew very well dispite the extreme tail angle, tho.
Hey G-Lo that makes sense, now it looks like what it is a Parkhawk, so I have to remove this imposter Video, Lol..
Thanks Angelo...
Ps: Dude are you gonna fly those birds man..
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:40 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Chirnside
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
I have an SH2 and SH3, the main difference between them is the 3 had dual spur gears. My 2 performed like a dog on the stock brushed motor, after conversing with Sean about it he thought he may have advanced the motor timing in the wrong direction. I converted it to brushless and have gotten many great flights out of it since. It has been a very reliable bird although I have stripped and replaced several spur gears. The SH4 was a substantial redesign, I don't have one but based on the pics nearly everything was changed on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. So how easy is it to convert to a new brushless motor and new gearing?
johngow383 is offline Find More Posts by johngow383
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
John; That is very cool, I actually am jealous because I want a Slowhawk also..lol
What color is it??..
Ps: I thought you said you were in the U.K. lol? alright Scotland is cool also..lol
Petey...
Hi Petey,
Ha, Scotland is in the UK and don't worry, it's going to stay that way! It would be madness going alone and it's only a third of folk that are in favour of independence.

I was given the choice of blue or red so I went for red.

I have just purchased two of the recommended servos (HS-56s). However, having trouble locating some of the other bits listed in the instructions. What radio equipment would you recommend? Is there an advantage going with 2.4GHz? Trying to buy what I need today so I'm ready to go when it arrives. What are the best batteries / chargers? Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:53 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
Hi John I sent you a P.M...
I am finally going to fly my Black Parkhawk 1 this morning it is temporarily named Darthhawk..
Petey...
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:23 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Darthhawk...aye?
You said when I'm gonna fly -what birds?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:56 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Darthhawk...aye?
You said when I'm gonna fly -what birds?
Just before Sean passed did you not get a BLH or something, plus your other crash damaged bird?? lol
am I mistaken G??

Ps: Samson got me into this name thing, it does not look friendly so...
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:20 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Oops!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Dang!... sorry bout that slow response . I was in another thread.
Umm everything is fine now. I did go and fly it but I'd used a heavier battery; a 2s 2450 mah. (I also bought a 1700mah) Sean recommended a 1500 2s. I have heard of reports on the BLH being able to carry 2200mah..3s! That's before he geared it down. Anyway, so I slapped that on it to see how it would handle it . It didn't like that extra weight; it flew but laboriously. While watching it, it occurred to me that there are BIG differences in sea levels! Well while still in the air I thought I heard a little faint grinding noise. With my experience with SK birds if there is a little strange noise, be assured something is going on. So I stopped and used the 1700 math batt because of weight. To make a long story short, I've noticed the main gear pin screw had backed out. Its fixed now but after flying with the two batteries, the heavier 2 cell has better power for but the lighter has barely enuff . So I'm going to soon fly it with a 910 3s to see what it'll give me. I love the BLH and it is rare now. And it may be in the hanger more than its flying...I don't know for sure. We'll see*

Well let me walk this dog, he's given me direct weird looks. I'll be back....
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:40 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
Shrike Video

I got this from Youtube I think it is a Shrike 2 (at least it is in Ubute's other vids)
It looks like he got his in 2011,
Where was I!!! man!!
Okay so I wanted to post the Sk Shrike Specifications, and I came across an Sk Announcement for his earlier birds it is long, but I am posting it anyway, it is from 2003 So there is no truth to what is being said it is now 2013 Petey..

NOT SO FAST CyBird!
The CyBird is old news......
Now for some real news........

Now for th Summer/Fall of 2003, Hobbytechnik is proud to announce a new line of smaller, high performance R/C ornithopters by Sean Kinkade.

They are: The Sun-Bird ( small parrot )
The Shrike ( bird of prey)
and the Flying Fox ( bat ornithopter)

Testing of the first of this series, the Sun-Bird, is near completion and initial production has begun.

The Sun-Bird is planned on being introduced at the NEAT fair in New York next month.

Here are the specs:

Wingspan: 35.5 inches

Length tip to tip: 21 inches

Weight: only 9 ounces ready to fly with lithium pack

Channels: 3

Servos required: 2 Hitec HS-55's
( allows use of stock Focus III radio with feather package)

Receiver required: sub-micro, 3 channel
( used in prototype: GWS Pico)

Speed control required: ~10 amp
(used on prototype: Castle Creations Pixie 7P)

Battery: 7 cell 720 Mah NIMH or 2 cell E-tec 1200 lithium polymer

Gears: high quality quieter running gears

Wing hinge: precision ball bearings, STANDARD, not an upgrade.

Motor: speed 300

Motor mount: allows mounting of optional Razor 300 brushless motor.

Tail mount: features a new four point O-ring tail mount with low stress O-rings for servo saving flexibilty yet far longer lasting o-rings. A mount of this new design is being made for the Park Hawk and all other Hobbytechnik ornithopters.

Wing spars: This smaller series of ornithopters uses 1/8" diameter spars, the same diameter for the larger Park Hawk yet they are shorter. The shorter spars coupled with the lower mass of the model means less spar breakage.

Price: the price is not set yet as I am currently in the process of becoming an E-tec lithium battery dealer. But rest assured these models will be a better value than the CyBird when price, durability, and performance are taken into account.

The Sun-Bird has a smaller wing span than the CyBird ( only 35.5 inches), as stated it weighs less too, tipping the scale at only 9 ounces ready to fly vs. 11 ounces on the CyBird. It does not have an unsightly "boxcar" 3D body to hide a portly gearbox but rather retains the classic profile ornithopter design originated by me with a beefy head structure up front for added durability.

You can't really see a difference between a profile and a body shell when it's 400 feet high anyway and this little bird will go up that high in a hurry!
Even so, Hobbytechnik body shells will become available this year and count on them having a sleek artistic appearance.

( Current Park Hawk and Slow Hawk frames have a series of small holes going around their perimeter and these holes are speciafically for mounting the upcoming body shells). This was planned well in advance.

Yesterday evening's Sun-Bird test flight was documented with a duration of 22 minutes 13 seconds. This was in calm evening air with no discernable thermal activity and it was with constant power with no glides. The battery used is the E-tec 1200, 2 cell lithium polymer pack. The motor is the Graupner Speed 300, same as on the Park Hawk.

Not only does this smaller bird fly longer than the CyBird, it has a climb like a homesick angel on TWO CELLS. Two cells means less money for extra packs and less trouble finding a charger to charge them.

After the 22 minute flight the lithium battery and the motor were not even warm, they were COOL to the touch. The battery read 6.23 volts after the flight, which was within safety discharge limits for lithium batteries. It was charged minutes after the flight and took the full charge to 8.07 volts. This a very important factor to consider when making flight endurance claims.......was the battery milked to destruction to obtain the 22 minute flight?
NO!
The battery was unharmed and incidentally the Pixie 7 P speed control can actually be programmed to cut off before the cells are damaged. The 22 minute duration was obtained with acceptable stresses on the battery.

Kinkade ornithopters as always come in a variety of vivid colors. Fuselage frames are now offered in BLUE as well as black.

The Flying fox however, is a bat so it will come with a black wing only, as well as a new tail design that looks more bat-like.

This new line of original Kinkade ornithopters and also upcoming GIANT electric ornithopters will be available directly from Hobbytechnik and through select dealers.

They will NOT be sold through any CyBird dealers.

I'm taking advance orders. No payment is required until the models are ready to ship. Advance orders will receive free shipping from Hobbytechnik to the lower 48 states. Simply send your name and shipping information to thopter@earthlink.net and I will notify you when they are ready to ship.

I also have some new Parrot ornithopters based on the Park Hawk and Slow Hawk mechanics. I am going to attempt to attach photos to this message. They are not the greatest pictures but you will get the idea of the size of the Sun-Bird.

Choose wisely my forum friends!

Sean Kinkade
Hobbytechnik

The Cool thing is there is a lot of Sunbird info...Petey...
Orni 5 (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Machy2k; Jul 02, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:13 AM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
1200mah seems big!
samson55 is offline Find More Posts by samson55
Old Jul 02, 2013, 02:30 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngow383 View Post
Thanks for the info. So how easy is it to convert to a new brushless motor and new gearing?
The hardest part is figuring out which motor and pinion to use, after that it's just a simple swap. I posted a thread a couple of years ago on the swap I did on mine, I'll try and find it when I get a chance.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
Slow Hawk 2 Motor Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
The hardest part is figuring out which motor and pinion to use, after that it's just a simple swap. I posted a thread a couple of years ago on the swap I did on mine, I'll try and find it when I get a chance.
Thanks. I'm looking at converting my SH2 at some point in the future.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:18 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson55 View Post
1200mah seems big!
HI Sam that E-tec cell he is talking about weighs like 24 grams or something it is completely stripped down..
The Thing I was looking at is the Razor 300 Brushless motor..