HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:11 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donairplane View Post
For those needing a cowl or canopy Hobby Barn has the molds!
I talked to Rob Hoard (works for Hobby Barn) today at the One Eighth scale fly-in about
the parts. Phone is 520-747-3633. Hope this helps.
By the way I need the construction article for the chipmunk, anyone?

Don
Great thanks for this information. I'm about to start making the canopy and cowl. So this could save me a lot of hassle. I'm going to build the UK style Greeenhouse canopy so I will find out if Hobby Barn has anything for that and post the result.

Thanks
Bob999 is offline Find More Posts by Bob999
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
4 Posts
Hello There:

This is a Pic. of Bob's Chipmunk, It is located at the Edenvale Airdrome In Canada
L.T. Pierce is offline Find More Posts by L.T. Pierce
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:59 PM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Winnipeg, MB CANADA
Joined Feb 2000
205 Posts
HI, attached is an article I got off the Vintage Wings Canada web site on two DHC-1 Chipmunks. cheers -ken
kenair is offline Find More Posts by kenair
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:19 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
This may not be the same plane in this thread, but its still a Chippy.

acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Building the Chipmunk Canopy

Over winter I covered the entire fuselage, wing stubs and tail with fiberglass. I used a 1/2 oz cloth and Z-Poxy finishing resin. Still have some fine sanding to do. But pleased with the results.

I found the Canopy a daunting sub project so have been putting off getting started on it. I building the UK style green house canopy as opposed to the perspex dome that the Canadian Chipmunks had. Also decided to make it slide open. (maybe I shouldn't have been so ambitious!)

Started by building the windscreen frame. I used a 3/32 ply former and a aluminium brace. Then used 1/64 ply to create the transition from fuse to canopy.

Then created the frame for the sliding section of the canopy. I made the tracks for the canopy to slide in from a 3/16 square brass tube, and cut a slot in the slide that would just fit the threaded section of a 1-72 bolt. I opened up the last 3/8 " of the slide to allow the bolt head to pull through so that the Canopy could be removed.

I found that the Nelitz plan has the instrument panel housing extend from the outside radius of the fuselage. In fact it should be set in on each side to allow the track to go outside the instrument panel housing. So I let the track into the housing. Looks like it should work.

Building the cockpit I found that the rear canopy rib has to be narrower than the front one, to follow the tapering Fuse. Which means when the canopy is fully back the front canopy former is almost 3/8" wider than the fuse track - further than the play I have in the tracking bolt. Bit of a pain so now I have to think more about the slide mechanism! I wonder how it works on the full size Chippie!

So here's some pictures. Still rough - no finishing done yet...

Next step is to put the roof on the canopy.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:10 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
The full sized Chippie has a parallel canopy. Same width at the front and the back.

The fuselage is the same width at the section too.

Keep in mind that this plan is NOT the plan that Nelitz built his championship winning model from.
It's the plan that the AMA asked him to knock up later on for publication.

Looking good though... I was wondering what had happened to this thread.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Thanks Hugh. That explains why the fuse formers from the plan didn't fit the fuse at the location they were supposed to. I think you mentioned that when you transferred the plan to CAD. oh we'll have to come up with a compensating slide!

Did you build the Chippie?
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:31 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Hi Bob. No, I never got around to this particular one.

I have the Airsail 1/6 kit at hom though.... Nice kit, although it's a bit complicated in the area of the wing centre section.

I have plans to build that and (hopefully) have it flying by February 2015 in time for the next Haydn Hampson memorial (a scale Warbird flyin that our club holds in memory of one of our past presidents - Our definition of a Warbird is ANY subject that served in ANY military in ANY conflict or in peace time).

Of course, I will be finishing it in the RCAF colours - Yellow with a blown Canopy.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Sounds good Hugh. Hope you'll post some pictures.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Oh I will Bob... I'll probably give it it's own thread.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Chipmunk Canopy progress

I made the canopy shell. Next I'm going to make the plugs to mould the rear window and windscreen.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:21 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Cowl construction

It took me a while to decide how to build the cowl, or could I even buy one. Making a plug and a fiberglass cowl seemed like a lot of work for one cowl. So I opted to fabricate old style. Strip plank the top, build up the nose from. Multiple 1/2 inch s
Balsa , rib and stressed ply for the sides and stick with the plans aluminum pan.

So here is the first part almost done. Should have bought shares in 3M before I started this project as strip planking used heaps of blue tape!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 03:23 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,386 Posts
Looking good, Bob.
See you at the field.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Chipmunk cowl completion.

I fabricated the cowl top and sides and now have them hinged together. Still got the base pan to make. But moved on to doing the interior starting with the seats.
Last edited by Bob999; Aug 17, 2014 at 03:29 PM.