SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
Belt drive interchangeable?

Hi',I'm a retired mechanic/new boat builder. I'm making an 85" Laker Ore Boat and have what I believe is the type of motor commonly attached to aircraft belt drives. It has 2 mounting holes 25mm apart on the end and a 3.4mm ribbed shaft. My motor would be like a 540/580-being 57mm long. I'd like to use one of these drive units if it would adapt. Anyone have info or a link to dimensional drawings of such units? Thank you,"Guzzi" John Pierson-Champlin,Mn
guzzijohn is offline Find More Posts by guzzijohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
Unregistered User
White Rock BC/Blaine WA
Joined Apr 2007
595 Posts
There is a whole section of RCG devoted to boats, you can find it here. You'll have much more luck with your question over there!
liam2317 is offline Find More Posts by liam2317
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Back a few years ago Tom Hunt's ModelAir Tech did a nice range of belt drives and his site had drawing of them too!

This pdf shows most of them:

Here's a place that still has some stock: http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...e=I&catlevel=2 .

I've probably got a few of the drawings; and other certainly do too.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post

Here's a place that still has some stock: http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...e=I&catlevel=2 .
If you get a chance to talk to Kirk, (New Creations) he's a great and helpful guy and will really go out of his way to help.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
The 540 - 650, (and possibly the 700), range of brushed motors all had 25mm, (1") screw mounting centers, and usually a 3.2mm (1/8") shaft diameter.

What you have with a 'ribbed' shaft is possibly a commercial motor used for driving perhaps a plastic pulley, or even a plastic fan. The ribbing is usually for gripping a push-on plastic device.

Brushed motors or that range were produced with all sorts of voltage ratings. Unless there is a label on it with more information, it would need testing to find out if it is suitable for a boat.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray