SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
SoCal
Joined Apr 2003
178 Posts
under the underpasses

YOucan do it on 72Mgh. Joes done it, Gary Ittners done it on 6 meters and I/ve done it.

I'd try it on a throwaway model on spread spectrum before trying with a good model.

If I'm not mistaken, the spread spectrum tranny's are only 100 Mil watts out.

JDK
big jer is offline Find More Posts by big jer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, Ojai
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Dufort View Post
Holy cow!!

What's the magic about Zapata??
I can easily tell you a lot about Zapata and bore you to tears as a Sailplane and Hang gliding Pilot!~!

Biggest factors which MOST of you will not like is this...

First 100Miles most LZ's are behind locked gates for miles.
Secondly, It gets flyable and soar-able at 10Am
Third during our record attempts It is a S wind push from the gulf almost due N
Fourth You can fly till 9PM that is 11 hours air time.
Fifth We just broke the world record after 10 years there once again. 475.? miles. Flown by Dustin Martin and Jonny Durand. You can google youtube for jonnys flight.

The OWENS VALLEY in CA is one of the best places that works. I have flown my old RC Scale out there longer than the record. The only two hard parts is Montgomery pass and then passing Mina/Luning as you head for Gabbs NV.

Been there done that.. Lets go break this thing and have some fun...
XCFastEddy is offline Find More Posts by XCFastEddy
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2005
283 Posts
Ed

Can you give us details of the flight and the route you took? Did you have any problems with wind?

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:56 AM
United States, CA, Ojai
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Re John

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC soaringpilot View Post
Ed

Can you give us details of the flight and the route you took? Did you have any problems with wind?

John
I started in Lone Pine. It was a SE day early on. And due South at 12K but I was never that High. NOW UNDERSTAND I can see 20/15 with my glasses so I can fly higher than most. I can even read some of the 20/10 back then.

Launching at the airport is easy. The alabama hills are just across the way. Once you fly up the hills N you jump off them to the old concentration camps. and then to Independence. You are much more in the sierras then along the base almost to the lava fields. Where YOU have to come out into the valley.
The Old Cinder cones work well. Also this is Usually where the sheer line sets up across the valley when the "Westerlies come thru. That take you to Black Mountain/ big ears. Now you are on a dirt rd that Use to be well maintained back then all the way UP to Bishop. It goes right along the bottom of the whites.
Onto I-6 N Just past the old Train Museum.
Again You are fairly close to the mountain till White Mountain ranch and the general area that the thermals start before they drift back to the mountains. Unfortunately, as you go past this area YOU have to come out away from them to your eye sight ability. Benton is nearly 5 miles Out!~!
FIRST MAJOR ISSUE As you're going around the corner till you start the climb up into Montgomery pass. Here is where it gets HARD!!! The WIND is compressing and the pass is 7300FT and I went thru it fairly low. My Plane was in Plain sight!!!! The drop is fast and the plane was ahead of us QUICKLY!~!
The cut off to Mina was easily made and the road has a lot of land-able areas.... Cut the corner to the best of my eyes and was on the W side of the road most of the way. Which became problematic later in the day as the sun was more in the face. Mina was easy to reach down wind down hill. The wind usually changes more SE again...
SECOND ISSUE Now as you come past Lunning and head for GABBS your next issue is as soon as you make the turn and you have to climb up and over the foot hills again. CROSS WIND on my flight from the west but it was light.
What happen in this area is you fly into the ""DRAINAGE" of Nevada back towards Carson. YOU Have to get up and over the hills and then Into the foothills E of the road that are rare. Once you get past the MINNING turn off near the river You have it easy.
Flat land flying up N of gabbs in late afternoon and I landed near the 722 highway. There use to be a little cafe and bar there. Do not know if it is still in business.
Everything E of the 361 that you are traveling N on is Pure drainage towards Carson City Valley. This is where we run towards when it is over developing in the Hang Gliders or the sail planes even.

Now on a Better note as for BREAKING the Record. I think Apple Valley East thru Lucern towards Parker AZ would be a good possibility. It works BOTH WAYS. Either on Monsoon coming In with the east flow...
Or do it like Joe Did and Try to Pick the West flow Switch day and go out that way. I have soared all over the desert and know routes and Good dirt roads between Paved roads all over...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCFastEddy View Post
I started in Lone Pine. It was a SE day early on. And due South at 12K but I was never that High. NOW UNDERSTAND I can see 20/15 with my glasses so I can fly higher than most. I can even read some of the 20/10 back then.

This is very interesting. Would be nice to see the route traced on Google Earth. Somewhere back in this thread I posted a Google Earth route of JW's world record course that I derived based on his story of the flight. Not sure I was able to get it exactly right but its probably close. I may try it again for the route you have described.

Can you tell us about the glider you were piloting? Scale? Components, battery, vario, etc.? How long were you in the air and what was the straight line miles? sorry for all the questions

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Dec 04, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Ojai
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post

This is very interesting. Would be nice to see the route traced on Google Earth. Somewhere back in this thread I posted a Google Earth route of JW's world record course that I derived based on his story of the flight. Not sure I was able to get it exactly right but its probably close. I may try it again for the route you have described.

Can you tell us about the glider you were piloting?
I use to have a Ventus 5AX with the wing tips extenders that made it just under 6mtr
Scale?
Yes
Components, JR System with the old mixing boxes
battery, Don't remember the but it was in the 4500 ish range or larger. with a voltage regulator
vario,
Picolo
etc.? Vision since you quoted it... 20 / 15 - 20 / 10
More or less this means what the average person can see at 15 or 10 feet with 20/20 vision. I could see at 20 feet with my glasses on... Yes those glasses were built for flying!~! Yes I had normal glasses as well. However I realized while flying sailplanes or RC I needed to see the best I could.
I posed a question to my eye doctor. What is the best I could see period???
PROBLEMS WITH IT!!!!
Once you take off the glasses and put on normal ones. YOU cant see crap!~!
Usually it is the next morning when your brain has adjusted...

How long were you in the air and what was the straight line miles?
about 8 or 9 hours it was a long while ago. uhhh according to Google it is about 186 miles. to the intersection of the 361 and 50/722 where the bar is...

sorry for all the questions

I do think however that APPLE valley out towards Parker AZ is easier and beyond and we could fly it either W or E bound as the monsoon comes IN or pushes out!~! The Disadvantage of trying on the OUT bound days is you can run into the the east winds. On inbound days on day 2 You are much less likely to hit a west push that is as significant as JOE's was into the wind.

Steve
there you go
Old Dec 04, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Ojai
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post

Can you tell us about the glider you were piloting?
I use to have a Ventus 2AX with the wing tips extenders that made it just under 6mtr
Scale?
Yes
Components, JR System with the old mixing boxes
battery, Don't remember the but it was in the 4500 ish range or larger. with a voltage regulator
vario,
Picolo
etc.? Vision since you quoted it... 20 / 15 - 20 / 10
More or less this means what the average person can see at 15 or 10 feet with 20/20 vision. I could see at 20 feet with my glasses on... Yes those glasses were built for flying!~! Yes I had normal glasses as well. However I realized while flying sailplanes or RC I needed to see the best I could.
I posed a question to my eye doctor. What is the best I could see period???
PROBLEMS WITH IT!!!!
Once you take off the glasses and put on normal ones. YOU cant see crap!~!
Usually it is the next morning when your brain has adjusted...

How long were you in the air and what was the straight line miles?
about 8 or 9 hours it was a long while ago. uhhh according to Google it is about 186 miles. to the intersection of the 361 and 50/722 where the bar is...

sorry for all the questions

I do think however that APPLE valley out towards Parker AZ is easier and beyond and we could fly it either W or E bound as the monsoon comes IN or pushes out!~! The Disadvantage of trying on the OUT bound days is you can run into the the east winds. On inbound days on day 2 You are much less likely to hit a west push that is as significant as JOE's was into the wind.

Steve
there you go
Last edited by XCFastEddy; Dec 04, 2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: hit wrong key on pad Need a 2 not a 5
Old Dec 06, 2013, 09:28 AM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
I'm looking in the FAI records and can't find this amazing flt can you tell me where to look please I want to read about it. I'm very interested Thank you.
rwemacs is offline Find More Posts by rwemacs