SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:56 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
Great job Lance , I think you will see its all fun mannn .
Sean , your over the top buddy , I dont know weither to compliment you or ask you for a price list for your parts lol !!!
That tail assembly is fantastic , and so is the sliiding canopy !!!
I am em-bare-assed to start my build in this forum !!!!!!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Cowl done

Thanks LDM. I'll try Michaels for rubber rulers. I used detailing tape for the cowling and it worked. Also, the uniball gel pen looks to dry to normal touch in 30 minutes - but if you press hard it will still wipe away. This actually helps in time.

Has anyone used this Krylon matte spray? The Great Planes spray is discontinued and the guys at Atlanta Hobby said the Kryon is nitro/gas safe.
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:00 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Thanks for the comps guys. I'm pleased that I changed the wheel retract. In hindsight it wasn't too difficult, just intimidating to start. A few people have PM'd me for some more pics. Here's some...

I started with the tire. The tailwheel is 1.75" dia so I started with one that was about 2" in dia and turned it down on my drill press. I used a long 10-32 bolt and nut to secure it, then turned it against a sanding bar until I got the squared off shape and a 1.75" dia.

Then holding a circle template over the hub (15/16" dia if I recall correctly) I sprayed the hub flat white. Make sure you cover the surrounding holes on your circle template.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
The tailwheel sets the spacing for the rear forks and I went from there.

The parts are made from 2-sided copper clad pc board:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102495

I used almost two complete sheets. I cut it using my dremel cut-off wheel then sanded to shape with my belt/disk sander and the dremel sanding drum.

Here's some more pics. The forks were covered with 5-min epoxy and a healthy mix of micro balloons. Later in the process I sanded this down for a more appealing shape.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:11 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Using bits of brass tubing and angle I fabricated the assembly based off the attached dwgs. Feel free to modify this to suit your need, that's what I did, but it serves as a good guide. I used the attached sketch to change the retraction geometry to help it fit into the tighter space in the ESM tail. All in all it's worked out well. I just need to add something to keep the wheel centered as it retracts, as well as the doors.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:53 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:55 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
A little quiz, who can tell me what these are? Bonus if you can guess where I'll use them on the corsair.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:52 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
1)They are part of a real aircraft cowling kit
2)you will use them for actvation (open and closing ) the gear doors on the corsair tail wheel and main doors
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:01 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
Well thanks to Sean I made the jump into Giant eletric . I am following the guru (my word not his lol ) .
I ordered the same Hacker , ESC(Castle) , and a motor mount from Hacker .
, I also ordered a tail wheel and slinding canopy kit from SeanInc. but they are out of stock and telling me they wont ship hahah
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Finished my lines

Thanks for the walkthrough on the tail wheel. That's inspiring

LDM - I got my lines on the Hellcat done. I also bought that Krylon matte spray and I'm not going to use it. I'm reading it gums up on nitro. I ordered the Top Flite LusterKote.

I'm doing the airbrushing today -
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Well thanks to Sean I made the jump into Giant eletric . I am following the guru (my word not his lol ) .
I ordered the same Hacker , ESC(Castle) , and a motor mount from Hacker .
, I also ordered a tail wheel and slinding canopy kit from SeanInc. but they are out of stock and telling me they wont ship hahah
Thanks Lou for the vote of confidence but I'm still learning about electric power as an alternative to IC power. It's been fun the past couple years learning about it and flying larger electrics.

The spring is the catch for dzus fasteners, sometimes called 'quarter-turn' fasteners. I plan to make a couple large hatches on the cowl to access the two 5S lipo packs that will need to be up front. I've used them before and they work very nicely. Here's a sketch of how they work.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Lance, I'm pleased you liked the tailwheel. Nice job on your Corsair to dress it up a bit. I assume you want to use spray cans instead of a spray gun? If you have a gun I've had good luck spraying klasskote and it's fuel proof. I use a detail gun at about 30psi to spray clear. It's a 2-part epoxy.
http://www.klasskote.com/
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:59 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
Lance great job on the lines , looks great !!
sean interesting idea on the fasteners ,
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:30 PM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Finished

Hey Stictlyscale sorry to be derailing the thread - I'm done! LDM I finished today. Airbrush broke before I could put on the gray/white and I prob got too heavy on the exhaust on the sky blue on the tail. But cool effect, thanks again.

Now back to your Corsair
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:38 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Still progressing on the corsair, got the tailwheel doors done (realized I didn't take any pics, will have to get some up later).

I don't like the idea of pull-pull for the elevator, and hence changed it for a direct pushrod. The rudder will remain pull-pull. In order to clear the tailwheel I offset the elevator control horn slightly. I also built a shelf for the elevator servo behind the cockpit (note it's not aeropoxied in yet in this picture). Not ideal for an access standpoint, but required for the geometry and having a full depth cockpit. The carbon rod across the fuse is slightly lower than the bottom of the cockpit floor and will allow the cables for the rudder and tailwheel steering to ride along in smoothly. I also centered the rudder servo in the stock servo tray.